Canon full frame mirrorless camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon full frame mirrorless camera

I hope the rumours are correct that an announcement will be made this year....Nikon have announced their version to be launched on 23/8. Makes me wonder about the value of my existing FF lenses and if the lens mount will be different on the mirrorless body. Canon have a better reputation than Nikon in retaining compatibility but I don't know if its technically possible in moving to mirrorless.....any thoughts?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: Canon full frame mirrorless camera

Brian my thoughts for what they are worth. I suspect that Canon would retain lens compatibility between DSLR and any potential Mirrorless offerings.
    But even if they didn’t it wouldn’t take long for conversion adapters to appear on the market.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

It's most likely that Canon will release an adapter at the same time as the camera, but will also (later or at the same time) produce lenses specifically for mirrorless. I understand that there's not much to gain in the telephoto range, but that wide angle for mirrorless can be considerably smaller.
      I also expect that whatever Canon do produce will cost something similar to 5D IV so unlikely to be of any interest to me
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

reading up on mirrorless since changing systems ,I might be right off track but it looks like you will either need an adaptor as in the M series or a new set of lenses due to the length of sensor from the rear of the lens .

last time nikon tried mirrorless the v1 and v2 cameras they fell flat on there faces ,hopefully it will now be sorted out BUT whatever the outcome once marketed it ain't gonna be cheap .

beats me why canon and nikon haven't buddied up on this same as olympus and panasonic with the micro four thirds I now use I now have a camera from each system and three panasonic lenses plus just been donated a few legacy lenses a couple of them very tasty ,including a nikkor 50mm f1.4 in mint condition ,currently waiting on adaptors .and so far no regrets about changing

Comment

Sigma have now produced their Art series prime lenses for Sony mirrorless full frame using exactly the same lens design (apart from the mount) as for Canon and Nikon SLRs so it can't be that difficult. However, they have said that they will be producing wide angle lenses specifically for Sony as they can be made smaller and lighter, which is one of the perceived advantages of mirrorless.

I'm a bit surprised about how many people are now extolling the virtues of mirrorlesss because of the light weight, the same people who a year or two ago were insisting on adding a battery grip to their already big slr saying that it was "too small for their hands".
          EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

its all a question of C of G and balance Richard .with a bit of old age thrown in

Comment

If Canon do introduce a full frame mirrorless range will it use the same EF-m mount as the APS cameras? Sony's E-mount is utilised across their FF and APS format models which does allow the of use of FF lenses on the crop frame body and eliminates the need for APS format lenses much longer than 200-300mm where you wouldn't gain much size advantage anyway. I would hope that Canon take the same approach...

Standard EF lenses will require an adapter, as they do for the M-series cameras, since eliminating the mirror eliminates the need for a mirror box and the resultant 40mm+ registration distance used by all current DSLRs - making a mirrorless camera with a big empty box on the front just to accommodate the registration requirements of DSLR lenses would be a pointless exercise...
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Whether or not an adaptor is required is of little interest to me as having tried two mirrorless cameras. Fuji (which stupidly I bought)and more recently Sony which I managed to borrow for 3 weeks, I personally hate the damned things. My reasons are, the EVF, neither camera gave me the view that I like and when working in low light they were hard to use and sometimes misleading. Next was the appalling battery life I often shoot very large numbers of images in a day and may be on a location for several days with limited access to mains power for recharging. Finally I have large hands and I hate the smaller size of the bodies. Give me my 5D MkIV and 5d MkIII any day complete with battery grips and big heavy lenses..
                Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Know what you mean about size I much prefer my 5D3 and 7D2 with a battery grip attached. Seems Nikon have poor battery life with latest mirrorless Z7, only some 330 shots, Sony much better 600+ if whar I've read is correct.
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I know it’s not canon ( sorry Robert ) , but I have recently started to delve into 4K (with so far little success) but one thing I have found amazing is the pre burst part of it where it takes a 3 second burst at 60fps before you fire the shutter ,during and after , the focus locks on like a limpet to . If canon can get something like this into a full frame body then it’s a game changer , two card slots , normal s.d cards compatible , time will tell saw somewhere that a announcement might come as early as sept 5th for photokina ?

Comment

Interesting chat. As someone that has a 7D2 body in the cupboard that is all that remains of my Canon gear I may be able to provide some counterpoints.

Based on a brief google this morning the CIPA rating for the Sony A7 iii is 710 shots, that of the 7D2 is 670. Err, is that right? Many of the newer mirrorless offer a grip option - speaking for Fuji which is the brand I switched to - the XH1 and Xt-2 all have grips. Fuji are a bit on the weak side when it comes to battery, one of the downsides of them sticking with one battery across the whole range. Or is that an upside, consistent battery design? And we all know that CIPA ratings can be exceeded - I once took 2000+ shots on one charge on a 7D2 battery at Weston Air Fair.

Size? Jeff Cohen uses the latest Panasonic gear. If you’ve ever looked at a GX9 in the flesh, it’s not a small camera. The XH1 isn’t small either, nor is the GFX 50S. The race to smallness has definitely stopped and mirrorless cameras are moving back to a more ergonomic sizing, with only Olympus in the too small to be used category. My X-Pro 2 is as big as it needs to be for me, it’s fine and my hands aren’t small. What are small though are the excellent prime lenses you can get for it - from 18mm up to 50mm - small, in most cases water resistant and excellent quality. So my camera goes everywhere with me with my favourite 35mm f2 on it.

EVF? I’ll see your doesn’t work on low light and raise you being able to see blown highlights which Fuji added in a firmware a couple of months back. That’s a huge advantage right there, being able to see if the highlights are blown before you take the shot. Refresh rate on my X-Pro 2 in High Performance mode is about as good as my 7D2 for blackout so yes, I can see the EVF isn’t for everyone but it’s not a bad replacement. I even shoot gulls in flight with it...

The problem Nikon had was that Canon are caning them in the DSLR arena and Sony are making massive inroads into their FF and pro range so they had to do this or go under. The problem for Canon is that they have to do the same or they’ll get left behind. The advantage Canon have is that they already have a mirrorless range, it’s just IMHO not a very interesting one.
                      Last edited by AndyMulhearn; 30-08-2018, 10:47.
                      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I wonder about the rumoured announcement on 5th September as Canon originally said 2019 for their full frame models. The rumoured specification is the same as was rumoured a few weeks ago for the EOS M5 II. Perhaps that's what is coming on 5th? All rumours, of course.

Reviews of the Nikon models have been mixed, some saying it's wonderful, others critical of various issues. Of course, inevitably there have been a huge number of orders already which I'm sure will be the same for Canon eventually. I reckon it's crazy to rush to be an early adopter, let others find the issues first.

One person made a good point, I think. Those of us who are heavily invested in Canon or Nikon lenses and want mirrorless will no doubt buy the new models and an adapter. However, it will be a long time before a full range of native mount lenses will be available so why would any newcomer to photography choose these over Sony which already has a wide range of lenses, both their own and third party?

I also wonder if Canon will continue development of DSLRs? Will there ever be a 7D MkIII or a 90D or a 5D Mk V?

Comment

Thom Hogan has a blog where he's been musing on the move from DSLR to mirrorless and he's made a few interesting points of late. One is that both Sony and Nikon still have a top of the range film SLR available. On that basis, he expects a long migration and the DSLR not really going away for a long time. Certainly those invested in native glass may not be keen to shift soon, but equally there are others, like me, that shifted over the course of a year. And it's not all about fads and EVF and stuff, there are a lot less moving parts in a Mirrorless body that a DSL and if you shoot with the electronic shutter, there's very few bits that have to jump about reducing wear and possibly cost.

Having said that I would expect to see a 7DIII, 5dV and 1dx mk III at some point, in fact with lead times they're probably in the pipeline anyway.

But lack of native lenses is the thing that is holding back the Canon EOS M series. The adaptor is OK but they're selling a "small" camera that they then want you to put a big lens and a big adaptor on? Not really, the ergonomics will be awful. If they build a competitive and decent sized FF Mirrorless with a compatible adaptor for EF lenses then I think they have more of a chance of having a big seller. Small camera + large lens is not going to work.

@Richard, it's interesting that reviews of the new Nikons have been mixed, but very few people have their hands on them yet. I'm not in the slightest bit interested but I can't see anyone having a sensible view until the final model is in people's hands for real.

The Thom Hogan article is here: http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/...sition-or.html
                          Last edited by AndyMulhearn; 30-08-2018, 13:06.
                          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I hope mirrorless does take off to some extent, will be looking for some current DSLR kit being available at good secondhand prices.

ANDY: thought 7D2 battery life was 800-900.
                            Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

The sites I checked this morning have the 7D as 800 and the mk II as 670. I do recall the mk II having a lower CIPA rating when it came out so that fits with my recollection... As I said though it’s a bit of a random number as I’ve got many more than that before now...

Comment

Working...
                              X