MPB advertEOS magazine advert
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon full frame mirrorless camera

Default Canon full frame mirrorless camera

I hope the rumours are correct that an announcement will be made this year....Nikon have announced their version to be launched on 23/8. Makes me wonder about the value of my existing FF lenses and if the lens mount will be different on the mirrorless body. Canon have a better reputation than Nikon in retaining compatibility but I don't know if its technically possible in moving to mirrorless.....any thoughts?
    Canon EOS 5D MKIV, 17-40 f4L, 24-105 f4L, 100-400 f4.5-5.6L, 24mm f1.4L II, 50mm f1.2L, 100mm f2.8L macro, 85mm f1.8 USM
    Canon EOS 200D
    EF-S 10-18mm STM, EF-S 18-55mm STM, EF-S18-55mm IS II, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 24mm f2.8 STM, EF-S 35mm Macro STM, EF 50mm f1.8 STM

brianvickersphotography.com

Default Re: Canon full frame mirrorless camera

Brian my thoughts for what they are worth. I suspect that Canon would retain lens compatibility between DSLR and any potential Mirrorless offerings.
    But even if they didn’t it wouldn’t take long for conversion adapters to appear on the market.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
    Peter
    Feel free to browse my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

It's most likely that Canon will release an adapter at the same time as the camera, but will also (later or at the same time) produce lenses specifically for mirrorless. I understand that there's not much to gain in the telephoto range, but that wide angle for mirrorless can be considerably smaller.
    I also expect that whatever Canon do produce will cost something similar to 5D IV so unlikely to be of any interest to me
    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

reading up on mirrorless since changing systems ,I might be right off track but it looks like you will either need an adaptor as in the M series or a new set of lenses due to the length of sensor from the rear of the lens .

last time nikon tried mirrorless the v1 and v2 cameras they fell flat on there faces ,hopefully it will now be sorted out BUT whatever the outcome once marketed it ain't gonna be cheap .

beats me why canon and nikon haven't buddied up on this same as olympus and panasonic with the micro four thirds I now use I now have a camera from each system and three panasonic lenses plus just been donated a few legacy lenses a couple of them very tasty ,including a nikkor 50mm f1.4 in mint condition ,currently waiting on adaptors .and so far no regrets about changing

Sigma have now produced their Art series prime lenses for Sony mirrorless full frame using exactly the same lens design (apart from the mount) as for Canon and Nikon SLRs so it can't be that difficult. However, they have said that they will be producing wide angle lenses specifically for Sony as they can be made smaller and lighter, which is one of the perceived advantages of mirrorless.

I'm a bit surprised about how many people are now extolling the virtues of mirrorlesss because of the light weight, the same people who a year or two ago were insisting on adding a battery grip to their already big slr saying that it was "too small for their hands".
    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

its all a question of C of G and balance Richard .with a bit of old age thrown in

If Canon do introduce a full frame mirrorless range will it use the same EF-m mount as the APS cameras? Sony's E-mount is utilised across their FF and APS format models which does allow the of use of FF lenses on the crop frame body and eliminates the need for APS format lenses much longer than 200-300mm where you wouldn't gain much size advantage anyway. I would hope that Canon take the same approach...

Standard EF lenses will require an adapter, as they do for the M-series cameras, since eliminating the mirror eliminates the need for a mirror box and the resultant 40mm+ registration distance used by all current DSLRs - making a mirrorless camera with a big empty box on the front just to accommodate the registration requirements of DSLR lenses would be a pointless exercise...
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Whether or not an adaptor is required is of little interest to me as having tried two mirrorless cameras. Fuji (which stupidly I bought)and more recently Sony which I managed to borrow for 3 weeks, I personally hate the damned things. My reasons are, the EVF, neither camera gave me the view that I like and when working in low light they were hard to use and sometimes misleading. Next was the appalling battery life I often shoot very large numbers of images in a day and may be on a location for several days with limited access to mains power for recharging. Finally I have large hands and I hate the smaller size of the bodies. Give me my 5D MkIV and 5d MkIII any day complete with battery grips and big heavy lenses..
    Alan

5DMk IV, 5D Mk III, EOS 3, Canon 20mm f2.8, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f1.4, Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Member*

Know what you mean about size I much prefer my 5D3 and 7D2 with a battery grip attached. Seems Nikon have poor battery life with latest mirrorless Z7, only some 330 shots, Sony much better 600+ if whar I've read is correct.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    My Flickr Images

I know it’s not canon ( sorry Robert ) , but I have recently started to delve into 4K (with so far little success) but one thing I have found amazing is the pre burst part of it where it takes a 3 second burst at 60fps before you fire the shutter ,during and after , the focus locks on like a limpet to . If canon can get something like this into a full frame body then it’s a game changer , two card slots , normal s.d cards compatible , time will tell saw somewhere that a announcement might come as early as sept 5th for photokina ?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast