MPB advertEOS magazine advert
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Canon full frame mirrorless camera

Default Re: Canon full frame mirrorless camera

Well if this is the future for Canon they can keep it. This new camera is a very lack lustre affair. Sony must be delighted that both Canon and Nikon have completely failed to offer something that is in anyway an improvement. If this signals the demise of the standard DSLR for Canon, I shall move to Sony as they at least have done a proper job of mirror-less cameras.
    Innovative, No, High Spec., No, Value for money, No.
    Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 03-10-2018 at 11:12.
    Alan

5DMk IV, 5D Mk III, EOS 3, Canon 20mm f2.8, Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 50mm f1.4 Art, Sigma 105mm f1.4 Art, Canon 85mm f1.4, Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Does seem to be a camera that has been received with a spontaneous outburst of general indifference...

Trouble it it feels far too much of a 'me too' product than a real innovation especially as it almost feels like it's been rushed out in response to the Nikon pair which it strongly resembles...

Also maintains the impression that Canon still aren't sure about where they are going as they now have a full frame DSLR range, an APS DSLR range, FF mirrorless and APS mirrorless. Of the four at least the SLRs have the same mount and most of the lenses can be used on both without adapters and can be run alongside each other - the same can't be said of the mirrorless models.

OK technically Sony also have the same four ranges but at least they only have two lens mounts and they seem far more committed long term to mirrorless that they are to their SLT range. I would also say that the Nikon pair suggest a more definite commitment to a mirrorless future than this Canon effort does.
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
    Well if this is the future for Canon they can keep it. This new camera is a very lack lustre affair. Sony must be delighted that both Canon and Nikon have completely failed to offer something that is in anyway an improvement. If this signals the demise of the standard DSLR for Canon, I ahll move to Sony as they at least have done a proper job of mirror-less cameras.
    Innovative, No, High Spec., No, Value for money, No.
    Have to agree with you - I'd happily accept a step down to the 24mp of sony's A9 with 20fps and vibration free shooting rather than the Canon R
    Regards
    Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
    7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
    24-105 f4L II //70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8L // 200 f2.8L // Sigma 150-600 f5-6.3 C // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Member*

Quote Originally Posted by El Sid View Post
    Does seem to be a camera that has been received with a spontaneous outburst of general indifference...

Trouble it it feels far too much of a 'me too' product than a real innovation especially as it almost feels like it's been rushed out in response to the Nikon pair which it strongly resembles...

Also maintains the impression that Canon still aren't sure about where they are going as they now have a full frame DSLR range, an APS DSLR range, FF mirrorless and APS mirrorless. Of the four at least the SLRs have the same mount and most of the lenses can be used on both without adapters and can be run alongside each other - the same can't be said of the mirrorless models.

OK technically Sony also have the same four ranges but at least they only have two lens mounts and they seem far more committed long term to mirrorless that they are to their SLT range. I would also say that the Nikon pair suggest a more definite commitment to a mirrorless future than this Canon effort does.
    People that have actually used one seem a lot more positive; seems like it does the usual Canon trick of having excellent ergonomics and producing pleasing results. The guy here isn't exactly renowned as a Canon fan, but is very positive: Jared.
    "When I saw the specs...I was a little upset; when Canon put the camera in my hand....it IS a good camera."
    It's hard to understand how what they've released doesn't show commitment, though - a 28-70mm f2? And a 50mm f1.2 as part of the first 4 lenses? It's pretty obvious there will be a higher-end model along in the not too distant future. They launched EOS with a mid-range model first, remember. (If you can - it was a long time ago!)
    That said, I don't think Canon ARE committed to a totally mirrorless future, at least for now. They will almost certainly keep EF, EF-S and EF-M going for as long as there is profitable demand. They have absolutely no problem in having multiple models all the way across the range - look at what they've done with entry-level DSLRs recently, look at the EOS 77D, look at the 2 versions of the 5DS, look at M models with and without viewfinders - they will not force anyone to change while other ranges sell, that's the way they are.
    Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Fair do's Nick, I did say 'maintains the impression...' In a way the launch feels a bit like the M range though, along the lines of 'here's our offering, are you going to buy?' although they do seem to be a little more positive with the lenses this time.

I still feel that running two ranges of mirrorless with different mounts is rather less practical than running two ranges of SLR with the same mount though.
    Nigel

I'm afraid this is the start of a new direction for the big boys Canon/Nikon and the end of the DSLR.
    It may take 2/3 years but i don't think we'll see too many more DSLR from these 2 manufacturers.
    Olympus/ Fuji/ Sony/ Panasonic the list goes on and Canon & Nikon will need to catch up fast and put all there resources into the new technology or become the next Pentax.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Member*

Quote Originally Posted by paul linton View Post
    I'm afraid this is the start of a new direction for the big boys Canon/Nikon and the end of the DSLR.
    It may take 2/3 years but i don't think we'll see too many more DSLR from these 2 manufacturers.
    Olympus/ Fuji/ Sony/ Panasonic the list goes on and Canon & Nikon will need to catch up fast and put all there resources into the new technology or become the next Pentax.

Paul
    If Canon can make money selling DSLRs, they'll sell DSLRs. They read the market very differently to the other guys. That's why they're No 1.

Fuji, Sony, Panasonic didn’t have a dSLR market share to move away from...Olympus has already committed to small four thirds sensors. It’s different for canon and Nikon as they have that market and can satisfy both....though they are behind the curve in mirrorless maybe. There are few pros using smaller models despite manufacturers claims. I think pros are likely to want light weight but larger more ergonomic cameras.
    Those of us using computers for work need a full size keyboard and screen- smaller options are not healthy due to poor ergonomics...the same can be said for small cameras
    Canon EOS 5D MKIV, 17-40 f4L, 24-105 f4L, 24mm f1.4L II, 50mm f1.2L, 100mm f2.8L macro, 200mm f2.8L II
    Canon EOS 200D
    EF-S 10-18mm STM, EF-S 18-55mm STM, EF-S18-55mm IS II, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 24mm f2.8 STM, EF-S 35mm Macro STM, EF 50mm f1.8 STM, 85mm f1.8 USM

brianvickersphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by brianvickers View Post
    Fuji, Sony, Panasonic didn’t have a dSLR market share to move away from...Olympus has already committed to small four thirds sensors. It’s different for canon and Nikon as they have that market and can satisfy both....though they are behind the curve in mirrorless maybe. There are few pros using smaller models despite manufacturers claims. I think pros are likely to want light weight but larger more ergonomic cameras.
    Those of us using computers for work need a full size keyboard and screen- smaller options are not healthy due to poor ergonomics...the same can be said for small cameras
    Interesting point. A few weeks back I went to the Panasonic event at Bodiam Castle and was somewhat surprised as how large recent G cameras, particularly the G9, were compared to my old G3. Possibly they have been getting feedback regarding the handling of tiny cameras - I know that my G3 drives me nuts at times when setting get changed because there's not enough camera to get hold of without accidentally touching a settings button...
    Nigel

Member*

Quote Originally Posted by brianvickers View Post
    I know a number of pros using Fuji, and Olympus (only one using Panasonic, and he's one of their Brand Ambassadors), but they all have full frame Nikons or Canons as well.
    My EOS M system is primarily my travel system, but I do use it on the odd paid job (and it comes on all of them) where the size is appropriate - particularly as a second body.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast