Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canon full frame mirrorless camera

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
    But US prices are pre-tax, which varies from state to state, UK includes 20% VAT.
    Indeed, but sales tax in New York, were one to buy from B&H for example, is less than 9%. I realise that there are other factors involved as well, especially fluctuating exchange rates, but it's no wonder that there's a large "grey" market.

Out of curiosity (and boredom) I've just calculated both the US price & the pre-VAT UK price back to yen which yields a difference of approx 24,000 yen, or £175. Perhaps other external costs differ (such as fuel for transport, etc.) as well.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

sales tax in New York...……..., is less than 9%
      Good luck campaigning for UK VAT to be reduced to 9%
      I remember when it was 12.5%, subsequent "emergency" rate increases after financial crises have never been reversed. It's a long time since I bought anything other than grey.
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

There wont be any VAT soon as we leave the EU!
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
          There wont be any VAT soon as we leave the EU!
          No, it will go back to being Purchase Tax and probably go up to 25%!
          John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

How much!!! …………..£2,300 for a 50mm f1.2 R lens.
            I cant see myself continuing with canon mirrorless if the fast lenses are priced like this...my 50 f1.2L was less than £1k bought as new 18 months ago....so the new system equivalent is 130% more.
            Last edited by @imagesBV; 05-09-2018, 12:22.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Not very exciting is it.
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                Not very exciting is it.
                Nope, more 'yeah, right...' than 'yee ha!'.
                Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                  How much!!! …………..£2,300 for a 50mm f1.2 R lens.
                  I cant see myself continuing with canon mirrorless if the fast lenses are priced like this...my 50 f1.2L was less than £1k bought as new 18 months ago....so the new system equivalent is 130% more.
                  But this is the 50 wide-open...

That's about 130% sharper than the EF 50/1.2 so a bargain... :-)

Comment

Originally posted by DrJon View Post
                    But this is the 50 wide-open...

That's about 130% sharper than the EF 50/1.2 so a bargain... :-)
                    Interesting exif tool DrJon, did you view the image full size and notice the purple CA on the stray hairs?

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
                    Peter

Feel free to browse my
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                      Interesting exif tool DrJon, did you view the image full size and notice the purple CA on the stray hairs?

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
                      I don't think it's purple, I think it's just the out-of-focus blur mixing in some of the blue sky... although I might be wrong of course.

Comment

Well if this is the future for Canon they can keep it. This new camera is a very lack lustre affair. Sony must be delighted that both Canon and Nikon have completely failed to offer something that is in anyway an improvement. If this signals the demise of the standard DSLR for Canon, I shall move to Sony as they at least have done a proper job of mirror-less cameras.
                        Innovative, No, High Spec., No, Value for money, No.
                        Last edited by SpringfieldPhoto; 03-10-2018, 11:12.
                        Alan

No longer using Canon but still teaching new Canon users (and others) the gentle art of Photography.

http://www.springfield-photography.com/

Comment

Does seem to be a camera that has been received with a spontaneous outburst of general indifference...

Trouble it it feels far too much of a 'me too' product than a real innovation especially as it almost feels like it's been rushed out in response to the Nikon pair which it strongly resembles...

Also maintains the impression that Canon still aren't sure about where they are going as they now have a full frame DSLR range, an APS DSLR range, FF mirrorless and APS mirrorless. Of the four at least the SLRs have the same mount and most of the lenses can be used on both without adapters and can be run alongside each other - the same can't be said of the mirrorless models.

OK technically Sony also have the same four ranges but at least they only have two lens mounts and they seem far more committed long term to mirrorless that they are to their SLT range. I would also say that the Nikon pair suggest a more definite commitment to a mirrorless future than this Canon effort does.
                          Nigel

Comment

Originally posted by SpringfieldPhoto View Post
                            Well if this is the future for Canon they can keep it. This new camera is a very lack lustre affair. Sony must be delighted that both Canon and Nikon have completely failed to offer something that is in anyway an improvement. If this signals the demise of the standard DSLR for Canon, I ahll move to Sony as they at least have done a proper job of mirror-less cameras.
                            Innovative, No, High Spec., No, Value for money, No.
                            Have to agree with you - I'd happily accept a step down to the 24mp of sony's A9 with 20fps and vibration free shooting rather than the Canon R
                            Regards
                            Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
                            7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
                            24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
                              Does seem to be a camera that has been received with a spontaneous outburst of general indifference...

Trouble it it feels far too much of a 'me too' product than a real innovation especially as it almost feels like it's been rushed out in response to the Nikon pair which it strongly resembles...

Also maintains the impression that Canon still aren't sure about where they are going as they now have a full frame DSLR range, an APS DSLR range, FF mirrorless and APS mirrorless. Of the four at least the SLRs have the same mount and most of the lenses can be used on both without adapters and can be run alongside each other - the same can't be said of the mirrorless models.

OK technically Sony also have the same four ranges but at least they only have two lens mounts and they seem far more committed long term to mirrorless that they are to their SLT range. I would also say that the Nikon pair suggest a more definite commitment to a mirrorless future than this Canon effort does.
                              People that have actually used one seem a lot more positive; seems like it does the usual Canon trick of having excellent ergonomics and producing pleasing results. The guy here isn't exactly renowned as a Canon fan, but is very positive: Jared.
                              "When I saw the specs...I was a little upset; when Canon put the camera in my hand....it IS a good camera."
                              It's hard to understand how what they've released doesn't show commitment, though - a 28-70mm f2? And a 50mm f1.2 as part of the first 4 lenses? It's pretty obvious there will be a higher-end model along in the not too distant future. They launched EOS with a mid-range model first, remember. (If you can - it was a long time ago!)
                              That said, I don't think Canon ARE committed to a totally mirrorless future, at least for now. They will almost certainly keep EF, EF-S and EF-M going for as long as there is profitable demand. They have absolutely no problem in having multiple models all the way across the range - look at what they've done with entry-level DSLRs recently, look at the EOS 77D, look at the 2 versions of the 5DS, look at M models with and without viewfinders - they will not force anyone to change while other ranges sell, that's the way they are.
                              Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Fair do's Nick, I did say 'maintains the impression...' In a way the launch feels a bit like the M range though, along the lines of 'here's our offering, are you going to buy?' although they do seem to be a little more positive with the lenses this time.

I still feel that running two ranges of mirrorless with different mounts is rather less practical than running two ranges of SLR with the same mount though.
                                Nigel

Comment

Working...
                                X