How do I improve this shot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I improve this shot.

Got this spot where a large amount of birds come to my pond to drink, set up my hide. But how on a sunny day like today do I not blow the light colours (in camera please)like I have?

baby Great Tit. by David Miller, on Flickr

Re: How do I improve this shot.

What were your camera settings? I see on Flickr that ISO was 800 but can’t see other settings. Why is ISO 800 is it on auto?

I’m no expert but I assume a lesser ISO (100) would help a bit and then if shooting in raw and using Lightroom/post processing software you can bring the shadows up / highlights down if other areas are darker/lighter.

Similarly depending on Aperture and shutter settings. Let the forum know what they were and you will get some good advice on perhaps changing those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Thanks Andy I was in AV & yes iso was 800 at f8; not sure of the shutter speed. So bring it down to 100, but as you know I don’t use lightroom or much pp, would prefer if I could get it right in camera. Dave

Comment

Thanks Andy I was in AV & yes iso was 800 at f8; not sure of the shutter speed. So bring it down to 100, but as you know I don’t use lightroom or much pp, would prefer if I could get it right in camera. Dave

Comment

Assuming you're using evaluative metering then the camera will expose for the overall shot, and as there's a lot of shadow in the background it will use a high-ish ISO so you don't lose detail in the BG. You could use spot metering so that the camera exposes for your focus point.

You could simply dial in some exposure compensation. In this instance try -1EV and then check the histogram of the shot to see if it needs tweaking up or down.

If you don't really know how it's going to turn out then another way would be to take a number of bracketed exposures and choose the best shot, e.g. 3 shots at +/- 1EV I would image that the -1EV would be the best in this instance, although in others maybe the 0EV might be OK.
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

With that kind of composition on a sunny day you are always going to have a contrast issue and ISO800 probably isn't going to help. HDR would help BUT the subject is very likely to move or even fly off before you complete the exposure sequence. A better bet is either dialling exposure compensation or switching to partial/spot metering and concentrate on getting the subject right and accept that the backgrouns is likely to block up quite a bit.

If you dial the ISO back to 100/200 and shoot in Raw there is the possibility of double or even triple processing the image with one version optimised for the subject, one version for the light/mid shadows and one for the deep shadows. You could then either manually blend using layers or use the 3 conversions as the basis for an HDR image. One thing to note though is to be careful when processing for the shadows (especially the deep shadows) as noise will be introduced and this will require some attention in the converter if you are to avoid a final image which is noisy in places and not in others.
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks Nigel & Chris, over the weekend I will have another go & see how they go.

Comment

Slightly late to the party, but that's blown so little if you have a Raw file it should be fine after re-processing in whatever raw tool you like.
                Also either use spot metering or dial in some exposure compensation for a bright subject on a dull background.

Comment

Direct harsh light will always be a problem,Can you shoot at a better time of day (early mornings or early evenings).
                  light can be your best friend or your worst enemy.

Paul
                  EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                  Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Working...
                  X