Replace my Tamron 17-50 non VC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace my Tamron 17-50 non VC

I'm having an attack of gear acquisition syndrome and considering replacing my current Tamron with a new similar zoom range. It's to go on my 7D II which I don't envisage changing soon.

I currently use it as my standard walk around lens and also for landscapes. Ideally I'm looking for something with a faster focus and sharper / more contrast

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Re: Replace my Tamron 17-50 non VC

Slippery slope this 'gear acquisition syndrome' - don't ask me how I know!

What lens? Well that really depends on budget but the Canon EF 17-40 f4L is well respected but in some tests I made when I was looking for a wide zoom I went for the EF 16-35f4L. If you need something longer then the EF-S 15-85 is a perfect match for the 7D2 (and I have one on my 7D1)

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
      If you need something longer then the EF-S 15-85 is a perfect match for the 7D2 (and I have one on my 7D1)

Cheers,
      John
      I would second that - it is a good lens - mine is on my old 40D and was the go-to lens for most things (especially walking about!)
      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I'm also very happy with my 15-85.
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions gives me a starting point to do some research. I may be back with more questions in a bit !!

Comment

Originally posted by taxboy View Post
            I'm having an attack of gear acquisition syndrome and considering replacing my current Tamron with a new similar zoom range. It's to go on my 7D II which I don't envisage changing soon.

I currently use it as my standard walk around lens and also for landscapes. Ideally I'm looking for something with a faster focus and sharper / more contrast

Have you checked the images you’ve made with the lens to determine what focal length/s form the majority of the captured images.
            This may help you decide what zoom (or possibly a prime) combination fits with your usage.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

I can vouch for the 17-40...excellent but not fast at f4 wide open....very well made and produces nice canon L glass images
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                Have you checked the images you’ve made with the lens to determine what focal length/s form the majority of the captured images.
                This may help you decide what zoom (or possibly a prime) combination fits with your usage.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
                That's a good tip - thanks very much

Comment

The 17-40 is very poor wide open and IMHO best considered a f5.6 lens.
                  I think you really need to work out what type of images you want to capture. A 24-105 is great on a 7D2 provided you don't do wide, for example.
                  Running ExposurePlot over your images could be a plan: https://www.vandel.nl/

Comment

Depending on how wide angle you want, the Tamron 20-70 f/2.8 is a remarkable walk-around lens.

Tom

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't change my Tamro 17 -50 non-VC. Bets bang per lens I have bought
                      40D, 70D. 400 5.6, 70-200 2.8IS, 17-50 2.8, 150 2.8 Macro, EOS-M3

Comment

Working...
                      X