Steel Stacks (Long Exposure)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steel Stacks (Long Exposure)

Today SWMBO and I Headed down to Bethlehem to get a few long Exposure Images of the Lehigh River and the Steel Stacks. Unfortunately the spot I wanted to go was blocked off because that was the area they were preparing to launch the Fireworks from. So we had to make our way to another spot where we could view the stacks from across the river:

Camera 6DMKII w/Tamron 24-70mm

Image 1: 10stop Filter @ 20 seconds
    IMG_9011 copy.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Image 2: 10stop filter + 3stop Variable ND Filter @ 210 seconds:
    IMG_9017v1.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Image 3: 10stop filter + 3stop Variable ND Filter @ 320 seconds:
    IMG_9015.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Comments Welcomed

Tom
    Last edited by tesarver; 16-08-2018, 17:07.

Re: Steel Stacks (Long Exposure)

Didn't think these were that bad.

Comment

Tom, these work fine but I don't think the blur in the water is impacting enough....maybe because the water is not that significant in the frame.
      The longer the exposure the less interesting the sky...so I would suggest cropping more of it out in the longer exposures.
      I see the foreground tree on the right has been a problem and cropped from the longer exposures.

Sorry for not responding earlier.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

You were the only one to comment on my Shugborough set despite similarly 60+ views......this forum is saturated with birds and wildlife with little interest for anything else unfortunately.
        I thought the mention of Patrick Lichfield would have drawn more interest as he was one of the most famous British photographers.....the focus here is on the kit and what it can do more than photography as a subject I think.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Tom,

Not sure whether the long exposure actually helps the overall image.
          For me these are record shots.
          Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Hi Tom

Agree with other comments its the water that really gets any benefit from the long exposure giving a nice reflection, so would be nice to see a little more in the frame.

Paul
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
            Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I like the first but not sure the long exposures have done you any favours really as there is a distinct blur in the tree top right hand corner - cloned out would look much better
              Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
              flickr

Comment

Not working for me. The first one is the best as there is at least some structure left in the clouds, in the other two they have smeared into nothingness and could just as easily be that featureless thin cloud you get on semi-overcast days. I suspect an exposure longer than 1 but shorter than 2 & 3 may have been better, even maybe no more than 60 seconds probably. For clouds I think you need a reasonably windy day - this shot was taken on a windy day and as you can see I got a reasonable amount of cloud movement in 30 seconds and managed to retain some structure in them too.

The foliage close by shows more motion but it distracts not adds.
                Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I like your pics of and around the Steel Stacks and these are nicely composed but the problem is they don't benefit from the very long exposures needed with a big stopper on the front. LE needs more movement to smooth out thereby creating that lovely ethereal look (especially in mono) but these could have been shot at f8 1/250. Sorry

Picking up on what Brian said re the imbalance we now see on the forum and absence of comments I couldn't agree more. I missed this post originally (as I'm sure I have many others) because often days can go by without me logging in and, when I do, 'good stuff' has dropped off the 'What's New?' tab so I either have to wade through multiple 'More Activity' pages or individually select groups that interest me which is not the most productive use of my time. Of course, that doesn't explain why so many people are viewing but not commenting

Cheers,
                  John

Comment

Yes Tom I like them
                    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                      You were the only one to comment on my Shugborough set despite similarly 60+ views......this forum is saturated with birds and wildlife with little interest for anything else unfortunately.
                      I think one could ask why do tens of thousands of people go to watch football but very few to watch table tennis - it's the interest factor.
                      My only interest in photography is wildlife and always has been for the past sixty years, I always try to comment on the wildlife postings on here, but in future look into other 'Departments' a bit more.
                      Personally It worries me not how many comments I get to a picture I post - I put them up for people to see, if a hundred people look at it - Good. If they were hanging on a wall in a gallery, people would look at them, and not leave comments attached to them - HOPEFULLY!
                      I also can't see why some people leave a thank you after every like they get. I try to leave a collective thank you after a couple of days unless someone ask a specific question to a picture. --- Just my twopenny worth!
                      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Originally posted by Trev B View Post
                        < snip>
                        Personally It worries me not how many comments I get to a picture I post
                        < snip> -
                        It does me as it's through the advice gained from 'comments' that my standard of photography has seen an immeasurable improvement from the woeful snapshots I started posting a few short years ago to the marginally less woeful efforts of today. Someone new to the art posting an image that all the old hands know can be improved by taking certain actions are doing the newbie a disservice by 'viewing' then passing on without comment. Even other newbies can join in by asking a contributor for information on how a certain image was produced (as I did and still do). Posting a picture, seeing lots of views but no or few comments is, in my mind, disheartening and not consistent with the mutual benefit group that this once was. Harrumph!

Cheers,
                        John

Comment

Thanks all for taking the time to comment. The exercise was to practice using the 10 stop ND and the 8 stop variable ND and get the timing correct. As stated above, this was not my 1st choice for location as that choice was blocked off.

Comment

Working...
                          X