Canon EOS 60D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon EOS 60D

Having looked at and handled the Nikon D7000 and Canon EOS 7 I thought I should also try the new canon EOS 60D.
    I have now bought one,alsoa Canon EF-S Ultra Sonic IS 17-85mm zoom lens .

What made me buy it over the others ?

First I liked the new control layout,a mix of Canon and Nikon .
    The only button I don't like is the Lock under the rear comand dial.I would like to have an on/off switch for the dial.
    The other point is the screen ,good resolution and articulated.
    This latter point swung the sale as I want to do more video footage and this will be ideal.
    I will post more once I get some shots in.
    John
    Last edited by stormbringer; 07-12-2010, 09:45.

Re: Canon EOS 60D

Still very please with the 60d.The pin (under the metal strip on the hot shoe) stuck down and diabled the on board flash.
    This was fixed by myself after Robert posted to point out the pin location and fault.
    The bin /delete switch is best used when the screen is in the body and not folded out as it gets in the way .
    Other than that the camera is suberb.
    I have added some extra lens ,the 70-200 L f4 usm and a 50mm f 1.4 usm.
    I have also bought a Canon Speedilte 430 mk 2( the wireless flash) is very good and really improves the pics when used off camera.
    A battery /grip is next.
    I have bought a wired and wireless remote and hoods and filters for all three lens .
    My Camera bag is now to small (Lowepro Stealth Reporter D300) so a Lowepro Vertex 200 could be on the way.
    I have set up my custom settings and also bought 3 books on the 60 d.
    So far so good.

Comment

Sounds to me as if you have things well in hand and are getting t o grips very well, look forward to seeing some more pictures

Comment

The pin (under the metal strip on the hot shoe) stuck down and diabled the on board flash.
        This was fixed by myself after Robert posted to point out the pin location and fault.
        Will you have to do this everytime you mount and external flash before you can use the built in flash ?

Trev

Comment

I have had my 60d about 3 weeks now and i love it i upgraded from a 450d of which i still have as backup if you have a canon macro 100mm lens then this is a match made in heaven your macro shots will be very good and that 70-200 l lens is awesome bit of kit images so sharp you will cut yourself.
          One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photos out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photos out of focus are a style.
          -Mark-

Comment

I have just bought a 60D (after having a 350D) and found that the flip-up flash wouldn't work after only 2 weeks use! Seems to be a recurring problem!
            I took it back to Jessops, who gave me a new one, but they said they'd not come across this before.
            I hope that Canon resolve this as I would not like this to happen in the future. If it does then I'd be wanting my money back, which would be a shame as I love the camera other than that.
            Phil ....... Flickr

Comment

In a process worthy of today's TV voyeurism, I reached the end of the road and took a decision. I hesitated to the end and even changed my decision right at the cashier!!!
              Over the last couple of months I analyzed the pro's and con's of a few DSLR models. Things such as brand, initial price, subsequent lens investment, features, quality of photos, quality of video, one equipment to cover it all, one initial lens to cover most situations.

And these were the runners up and the pro's and con's as of my own needs and taste:

Nikon D5100 Pro's: Best price, practically all the features that I wanted. Same processor as the D7000. flip out screen. 1080p video with 30 fps.
              Con's: the lens, once I tried them all at Best Buy, I realize that the 18-55mm was not going to make me happy and that would leave me immediately wishing for a different lens. It didn't seem practical to carry 2 sets of lenses when I could use the slightly larger 18-105mm lens for 90% of what I'd expect to be shooting.

Nikon D7000 Pro's: Best processor, best reviews, kit lens is 18-105mm which allows room for a variety of uses. Menus are familiar to me, given my previous ownership of Nikon point and shoot.
              Con's: right on the edge of what my limit to spend was and really above once extended warranty and taxes are included. No flip-out screen, comes with a plastic cover that seems Nikon pull out at the last minute to reduce scratches and other damages to the exposed screen. Internet reviews mentioning a hot pixel issue and Jello effect in video mode if camera is panned. Video in 1080p is 24fps (instead of the 30 now more available).

Canon 60D
              Pro's: Price with all included remained at a comfort zone. Kit lens is 18-135mm. It is reviewed as having better video than Nikon (and it provides 1080p at 30fps). Price at initial investment and subsequent is less than with the Nikon D7000. I have seen the Canon lenses offered at reduced prices more often than I have seen the Nikon's. Flip-out screen. Cold proof & shock proof (I'm sure with limitiations). It felt right in MY hand, whereas both Nikon's were slightly off for me (smaller, shorter, just off).
              Con's: Some conflicting reviews with issues like getting too hot to the touch, not as true to the color as Nikon D7000 (per reviews). It's menus so far are strange to me, but heck, it shouldn't be rocket science.

That all said and done, as of Friday morning I was set on getting the Canon 60D. That changed towards the end of the day and remained in my head as the whole family was driving to Best Buy. Once there, I spent over an hour (bless my wife and kids for being sooooo patient with me) looking at all 3 cameras, jumping from one to the other within minutes and back....until I told the clerk I would take the Nikon D7000, she smiled, took the camera to the cashier... and then smiled back when I went BACK and told her I'd be taking the Canon 60D instead. And there I finalized the process. I now have the Canon 60D.

First Impressions (after a couple of outings in 14 days):

Battery really lasts, I have not had to recharge, despite 300+ pictures, video recording, looking at pictures and video over the screen, updated firmware, etc. So far, that looks sufficient for my needs. It still has 30% charge over the 14 days I’ve had it.

Video recording.- The fact that you have to position the dial to video and then press the button is a drag. I did not realize how much of an issue this would be for me until last night at a school event poorly lit where I was standing (seats), where I could quickly change from whatever setting to video, but to get back was close to impossible because I couldn’t see (trying to get back from video mode to Tv). I thought that illuminating the top screen would help, but it didn’t because the top section doesn’t tell you what mode have you dialed. Live mode doesn’t help either as it still doesn’t provide you such information. A single push button on the body of the camera- in which ever mode you happen to be- should be the standard nowadays. Nikon’s have it, this is a con for this camera because it really makes it inconvenient.

Mode dial.- A lot of reviewers have complained about the push down button to release and turn the dial. I don’t see a big issue with that, but the fact that the dialing wheel doesn’t turn 360 is an issue. Video mode for example is at the end of the dialing mode, so to go from shutter priority (Tv) which I like the most, I have to go 200+ degrees one way and then again back. Manual (M) or Aperture (Av) are close to 250-270 degrees.

Macro mode.- I could not get a decent picture with it until a friend told me he had the same issue with a Panasonic camera with a similar lens and that he was able to then get macro shots by holding the camera at least 18 inches away from the subject. Sure enough I tried it and that worked. And as I started to write this I saw a note in the bottom of the lens that says: macro 1.5ft!!! Problem solved. Still, we have to consider that the kit lens is a more a Jack of all trades type of lens. Not specialized in anything but a fairly good overall solution for the beginner (and most likely good even after the beginner phase).

Weight.- After owning only point and shoot whereas the Nikon Coolpix P100 had been the “heaviest” camera I had ever owned, you really notice the difference around your neck. It won’t break your back, you just feel the weight over the first couple of times that you take it out.

MegaPixels adjustment.- I was a bit disappointed that your options to downsize a file go from 18MP to 8MP. I would’ve expected a more gradual downsizing in files. Maybe reducing say 2MP’s at the time (18 -> 16 -> 14, etc.) or even every 4MP’s (18 -> 14 -> 10, etc.). It might be my own ignorance on the subject, but as an amateur it would’ve been a good feature to reduce the size of the files. My pictures go to my computer, I don’t have a library of hard drives to store this many MP’s.

Menus.- Different to what I was used to, but nothing that would be rocket science. I’m learning my way over them. Given time, I’m sure I’ll like it.

Lens cover.- It covers the lens (duh!), but the locking mechanism is really small. You have to be very careful when handling. This would be one of my first spares that I’ll buy. I’m afraid that I will eventually break it or lose it. So a spare will prevent unnecessary exposure to the lens.

Vari-angle LCD.- Wonderful feature!! This is one of the main reasons I decided to get this camera (instead of the Nikon D7000) and it has lived up to expectations. Now, I really prefer to shoot through the view finder, but when needed, the moving LCD is great and when not, it can be flipped with the screen to the inside, thus protecting it without an ugly obtrusive additional protective screen (sounds familiar Nikon?).

Quality of video.- very good, no complains. If I run into the camera overheat issue that I’ve read about, I’m sure I’ll be spitting and cursing.

Quality of images.- Mmmmhh, this camera could use a better photographer!!! But even there I have been able to obtain some good pictures. Not the camera at fault, but my lack of experience with DSLR’s in general. I’m sure I’ll get there and so far this seems like a very good first camera for my needs and resources.

Overall I’m happy so far with the camera. I’m not a Canon convert (at least not yet), but like the camera at this point. I probably won’t be adding lenses in the near future as I have some other things I need to take care of first.

I hope this helps all of you evaluating this camera.
              Last edited by omar h; 04-06-2011, 04:52.

Comment

Omar, great review I am sure that you will like the 60D it has proven to be a very good performer and a number of folks on the forum have and use them very successfully.

Comment

Has a complete beginner to photography, I'd been researching canon models for about a year and was set to purchase a 550d or 600d. However after watching reviews on the 60d i was more drawn to the specs over the 600d. Its was what I could get from the 60d like 'In Camera Raw Processing, bigger penta-prism view finder, faster fps, also a more correct reading on battery power. I have had my 60d for a couple of moths now & still experimenting with all the manual settings & general working around the camera's settings. It's a great camera for complete beginners to more advanced photographers, it's certainly worth that £100-150 extra to jump from entry level models.

Comment

An excellent camera. I am still getting used to all it's controls and facilities.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Good review, with some humour thrown in. Just how we like it.

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

Absolutely love mine, got it just before Christmas. An upgrade from my 500D which my children now use. Still a beginner, so like the fact the camera can accommodate and it in many cases help me to learn and sometimes improve what would ordinarily be awful results. But it will grow with me and get better and better the more I learn. Great review.
                        Last edited by secondintime; 25-04-2012, 06:12.
                        Previously "The Real Swoosh"

My Blog..HERE....My website.....SECONDINTIME.....Flickr HERE..... 500px HERE

EOS 60D, EF- 70-200 L (non is), EF-24-105 L, EF-17-40 L , EF 100mm Macro, , EF 50mm II, 580 EX II, Canon S90. Kids Kit. EOS 500D, EF-S 18-55mm, EF-S 55-250mm IS Manfrotto 3405B Tripod. Hama Compact pro Tripod. Giottos MTL 9351B Tripod, Giottos MH 1300 Head, Manfrotto 790B Monopod. Billingham Hadley Pro. Lowepro 202AW Slingshot Bag.

Comment

Originally posted by stormbringer View Post
                          Having looked at and handled the Nikon D7000 and Canon EOS 7 I thought I should also try the new canon EOS 60D.
                          I have now bought one,alsoa Canon EF-S Ultra Sonic IS 17-85mm zoom lens .

What made me buy it over the others ?

First I liked the new control layout,a mix of Canon and Nikon .
                          The only button I don't like is the Lock under the rear comand dial.I would like to have an on/off switch for the dial.
                          The other point is the screen ,good resolution and articulated.
                          This latter point swung the sale as I want to do more video footage and this will be ideal.
                          I will post more once I get some shots in.
                          John
                          I hope you will enjoy your 60D as much as others do, i see you choose a 17-85 nice. why didn't you get the 15-85 this got many good reviews,
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelkphotowork/

Comment

I've changed camera bodies twice within the year of owning DSLRs. Started off with a 1000D, then 600D and finally stopped at a 60D. I should have just started here. I hope you'll enjoy this camera body as much as I have!!
                            Canon EOS 60D || EF 24-105mm L IS USM || EF-S 55-250mm IS || EF 50mm 1.8 MK II
                            Speedlite 430EX II || Velbon El Carmagne 530 Carbon Fibre Tripod w/ Manfrotto 496RC2 Ball Head

facebook

Comment

I have had some thoughts of changing from my 50D to the 60D mainly because of the video and the flip screen (can't kneel down like I used to !! Holding the camera down and using the flip screen seems a solution.) However, what puts me off are the reviews I have read that suggests the autofocus in video mode is not very good - or even not there !! Not a problem for landscape (holiday) filming but it could be for nature or action videoing. Has anyone any experience to share on this issue, please?

Comment

Working...
                              X