Strasburg Rail Road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strasburg Rail Road

Yesterday on our day trip, SWMBO and I went to visit the Strasburg Rail Road in Lancaster, Pa. The Strasburg Rail Road (reporting mark SRC) is the oldest continuously operating railroad in the western hemisphere and the oldest public utility in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Chartered in 1832, the Strasburg Rail Road continues to operate under its original charter and original name (Strasburg Rail Road Company).

This is the Train Station area:

IMG_9106.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

IMG_9087.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Engine No 90 is the engine that pulled the train we road on:

Strasburg Rail Road no. 90 (ex: Great Western) is a 2-10-0 steam locomotive operated by the Strasburg Rail Road, outside Strasburg, Pennsylvania. Built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1924, 90 originally pulled sugar beet trains for the Great Western Railway of Colorado.

IMG_9085.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

In the rail yard were several older engines. The PRR 3750 is a Pennsylvania Railroad K4s steam locomotive located in the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, outside of Strasburg, Pennsylvania in the United States. For over a decade, 3750 stood in for the prototype K4s.

IMG_9094.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

And in the Museum they had some wonderfully restored engines. Here is what I feel is probably the best designed engine ever built. The Pennsylvania Railroad GG1 was built to haul longer passenger trains at high speeds, particularly on the Northeast Corridor and the Main Line, during the PRR's massive electrification projects of the 1930s. Constructed in 1943 at Juniata Shops, #4935 was among the last of the GG1 series to be built.

IMG_9090.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Comments Welcomed

Tom

Re: Strasburg Rail Road

A great set with some nice background info and even more to enjoy on Flickr. Perfect in mono.

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Thanks John

Comment

Fabulous images of some very historical machines.
        The processing is spot on although it would be good to see the GG1 in colour - I believe they were maroon.
        The American loading gauge is so much bigger than the UK allowing these (to our eyes) massive machines.
        Love the contrast between the last 2 - the K4 with everything hanging off the outside and the beautiful streamlined GG1.
        As you can tell I like trains!
        Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Thanks Bob, Here is the Color version of the GG1:

IMG_9090_1.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Comment

Here is another one from the yard:

Pennsylvania Railroad 6755 is a 4-8-2 "Mountain" type steam locomotive built in 1930 for the Pennsylvania Railroad by the railroad's own Altoona Works as a member of the M1b locomotive class for mainline freight service. Retired from commercial service in 1957

IMG_9095.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Comment

Great set Tom.

Bill.
              7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                Thanks Bob, Here is the Color version of the GG1:

IMG_9090_1.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr
                Thanks Tom,

Thought they were maroon!
                Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Railway stuff, what's not to love? More please...
                  Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

If you had said to me which version of the GG1 I would prefer, I would have said the the colour one. But it just shows,the b & w does not show the buildings structure to be so prominent as in the colour version, so the b & w for me. Great set though Tom.

Comment

Thanks Nigel and David

Comment

Working...
                      X