Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Advice please re Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice please re Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice please re Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM

Following on from my last query re the Canon 100-400 L mk2,the lens hire place that I use has got the Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM for better price than the Canon,a total of £71 all in for 3 days hire as opposed to £81.

I've checked and it will fit in my camera back pack,does anyone have experience of using this lens?I would think it will be more useable with it's wider range?

I know it's over 1.5lbs heavier than the Canon,which was 3.5 lbs,but I can manage that easily enough.At yesterday's outdoor event I noticed two press photographers using similar lenses for close up shots of the various artists on the stages,and that got me thinking.

I will be at the Malvern Autumn Show at the end of next month,I know I originally said that a super-zoom wouldn't be suitable there,but I'm guessing that I was wrong?

All advice gratefully received please.
    Last edited by Guest; 19-08-2018, 16:52.

Re: Advice please re Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM

Oh yes indeed that is a very suitable lens to use for candid shots , and after your experience at Chester zoo this could be the break your looking for ,I can see it now the crowds parting like Moses opening the Red Sea , all staring in awe at what must surely be a pro photographer , in fact with that lens on your body I would be tempted to fake a press photographers pass just to get closer ,no one checks them these days ,security are all foreigners anyway .
    Yep go for it a £10 is a lot of money these days so well worth it ,you will probably buy one after that as well

Comment

You still seem to get the impression that because I'll have a big lens,that I'm out to show off and impress people!Far from it,having used bridge cameras until recently,using a good quality long lens is still somewhat of a novelty for me,think back to the first time you used such a lens..and as for faking passes,why on earth would I want to do that??

I asked a legitimate question regarding the lens,and quite frankly expected better from a photographer with more experience than me,or am I missing the point of this forum in asking for advice?

I'm pleased that you consider it a suitable lens for candids.
      Last edited by Guest; 19-08-2018, 22:30.

Comment

Haven't used that Sigma, but I've found a couple of detailed reviews and it seems that up to 400 mm even the older Canon that you used before is a better lens, sharper and with better autofocus. However the newer Canon is a considerable improvement on the older one and in fact is one of the best zoom lenses by any manufacturer, very highly regarded. The only advantage of the Sigma is the slight extra reach. I'm a big fan of the later Sigma lenses, but in this case I reckon you'd be much better off with the new Canon. Its sale price is twice that of the Sigma so the small increase in rental cost seems insignificant.
        EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

LOL yes it was a bit tongue in cheek , but anyway as Richard said that particular lenses is not really what I pointed out in the other thread , you should be in reality looking to hire either a sigma 150-600 C or a tamron 150-600 I believe there are 3 versions of them if your current hire place doesnt do them try lens rentals .co.uk .... that extra 200mm of reach coupled with light weight is worth having and both are up to date lenses as well

Comment

Thanks for the advice chaps,I'll take it into account when deciding which one I'll hire.

Comment

Agree with Jeff go for the 150/600 Sig or Tam. I had a Sig 50/500 some years back was not impressed with it. Now use the Sig 150/600 Sport for hide work etc. The Canon 100/400 Mk2 with 1.4 converter for general work together with a 70/200
              Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thanks Trev

Unfortunately,neither of those lenses will fit into to the top of my camera backpack,so it looks like I'll be hiring an EF-100-400 MK 1,going on the original reply from ctrollen;

"Having said that, in the circumstances in which you would be using it, with what I would guess would be mainly static subjects, I'm not convinced you'd reap that much in extra benefits - certainly not the ones that convinced me to upgrade. It depends on what the extra cost is over the mk1 as to whether you think it's worth it."

Hiring costs for the MK2 are a lot higher,and if I'm not gaining extra benefits,then it's not worth it.I'm now used to using a MK1,and thanks to all the great advice on here,that's what I'll go for.

Comment

The last thing I consider is whether anything fits in my camera bag, most of my stuff don't. Why is it so important that it fits in your bag are you intending going up Killimanjaro. When I go out I have my cameras slung around my neck, ready for anything that might present itself.
                  There are some good bags on the market now, get the camera plus the kitchen sink in them. Have a look at the Think Tank Airport International V3.0. This could be your answer, not only will it hold the 150/600 it will take a 15" laptop top and 10" tablet. The great advantage of this bag is you don't need to carry it - it's on wheels like a shopping trolley, and when you are not out creating masterpieces you can always use it for nipping down to Tesco's for the weekly shop.
                  Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

When I go on daytrips,I prefer to carry as little as possible,I know the 100-400 fits comfortably in the top of the backpack,and the camera body plus my two lenses in the dedicated bottom compartment.

I can't justify the cost of the one you suggested for the little use it would get,I have a very limited budget to play with.Plus for everyday use with just my two lenses,the bag I've got is more than adequate.

I appreciate that you're just trying to help,and thanks for that,but I prefer to stick with what I've already got,and for that day,I'll be happy with the 100-400 in my backpack.

Comment

If you are looking for a lens to fit your bag, the new Tamron 18-400 would be the only lens you would need to carry. I have it and it is a good lens, and will do the job.

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom

I use LensesForHire UK,it being the only one I've found that doesn't normally charge a deposit.For the few times I need a longer lens,it's more cost effective for me to rent one,and it seems they haven't got the lens you mentioned.

Comment

For the few times I need a longer lens,it's more cost effective for me to rent one,and it seems they haven't got the lens you mentioned.
                          if you rent too often, then you will soon find had you saved the money then you would have enough to buy one outright - especially something like the Sigma.

I am fortunate enough to have a range of lenses that cover most eventualities, including both Sigma 150-600, the C and the Sport and both give excellent results and in your situation i would go for the C version both in terms of affordability and reasonable weight. Forget the 50-500, it is quite an old lens which i considered buying a few years ago but following a test drive for a couple of days i could not wait to give it back !!
                          Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                          flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan,I've now decided to stick with the Canon 100-400 mk1.It's good enough for what I need.
                            Last edited by Guest; 20-08-2018, 20:29.

Comment

If and when you do go for heavier lenses, use the straps that attach to the lens, it save a lot of strain on the camera mount.

it's more cost effective for me to rent one
                              I can see where you are coming from, however I would point out you would tend to find uses for it and every £81 is £81 you haven't got anymore, canon L lenses tend to hold their value if you buy used, so when the time comes to pass it on, you have that retained value in the lens.
                              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                              X