Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice please re Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
    I can see where you are coming from, however I would point out you would tend to find uses for it and every £81 is £81 you haven't got anymore, canon L lenses tend to hold their value if you buy used, so when the time comes to pass it on, you have that retained value in the lens.
    The mk2 is £81, the mk1 is cheaper - £50-ish, I think.

Even so, it adds up, especially as browsing eBay the other day (as I am wont to do) I noticed that 100-400 mk1 lenses can be had for around £550 now. I suspect you could own one for a couple of years and sell it later for not much less. But that assumes one has £550 waiting to be spent...
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks chaps,but those prices are just for the rental.There are delivery and collection charges to add on.When I rented the mk1 last time for 4 days the total was £89,so this time for just 3 days it will be £80 or £81.

I'll be perfectly happy with the mk1 this time thanks.

The mk2 would be over £100 for the same period,and as you pointed out earlier Chris,using it for static shots I wouldnt being gaining any extra benefits over the mk1.

Comment

Which straps are they Tony?There weren't any with the mk1 as far as I know..

Comment

Originally posted by The Nighthawk View Post
          Thanks chaps,but those prices are just for the rental.There are delivery and collection charges to add on.When I rented the mk1 last time for 4 days the total was £89,so this time for just 3 days it will be £80 or £81.

I'll be perfectly happy with the mk1 this time thanks.

The mk2 would be over £100 for the same period,and as you pointed out earlier Chris,using it for static shots I wouldnt being gaining any extra benefits over the mk1.
          You might - apart from superior optics, the IS is much improved.
          Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

There's no strap with the 100/400 it's not a Heavy lens, there is with the Sigma's 50/500 and 150/600 and some of the Canon large prime lens
            Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thanks for that info Trev.

nickorando;Thanks but I've already decided to go with the mk1,I was happy with the results the last time I rented one,and again I'll only be using it for static shots,no tracking/panning etc.

Also from last time,I'll know to set the focus range to full.

Comment

Working...
              X