Advice please re Canon Speedlite 430-EX 11 flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice please re Canon Speedlite 430-EX 11 flash

At the weekend I'll be ordering the above flash unit,and was wondering whether to get a StoFen Omni Bounce diffuser,or just a small rectangular bounce card.

Which would be more suitable for general use please?If it's the card,where would I get one from?The StoFen is easily available online.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Advice please re Canon Speedlite 430-EX 11 flash

Hi
    I have the 430-EX11 & a Stofen diffuser which works well indoors. Using it outdoors isn't recommended.
    On occasions its use may affect your White Balance but shoot in RAW & you'll be OK.

The only experience I have of a white card goes back many years - the back of a business card and some tape!.
    Looking at the 430 EX11 you could attach card to the the built-in wide angle diffuser but I think you'd be better off with the Stofen.
    Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Hi Bob

Thank you for that,I'll go for the Stofen.I always shoot in RAW and do my post-processing in LR,so I'm already used to correcting White Balance problems that may arise.

The 430-EX II looks to be a good bit of kit,and it seems I can control most of it through the menus on my 550D.

Comment

I got mine from here, he has an Ebay presence

However, on a budget

www .qhphotography .com/Blog/DIY-Stofen-Omni-Bounce-like-diffuser

The damned site is picking EVERYTHING up as Spam. Remove the gaps
        Last edited by TonyT; 20-08-2018, 14:23.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks Tony

jackthehat is currently on holiday,it was the first one I looked at,so I found this one instead

Comment

The Stofen is a brilliant device if you're carrying it around just in case. What I tend to use for events is this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12in-31cm...AAAOSww7RbNH9P

Originally it was invented and sold by FStoppers, but these days it's only avaialable in generic form. Folds up small for carrying, but does a surprisingly good job as a diffuser.

EDIT: Does look a bit silly in use, though, but for me it's the best compromise between portability and function.

Oh, and the shop on this site has several options, too.
            Last edited by nickorando; 20-08-2018, 14:46.
            Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Thanks for that,I'll go for the Stofen,which will permanently be in whichever camera bag I'm using at the time and ready for use when needed.

Comment

Update;The unit has now arrived,the extra weight will take some getting used to,but shouldn't take long.

Comment

Working...
                X