Torquay Harbour HDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torquay Harbour HDR

I've been sat on this for a while as I couldn't decide if I liked it or not as it is a bit extreme. What do you think?

5D3_8197_AuroraHDR2018-edit by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
    John

Re: Torquay Harbour HDR

I like it. Well done

Tom

Comment

Very nice, but I would get rid of the arc of light to the right of the front yacht. I think it's distracting.

FWIW

Alan
      Sometimes I drink water. I like to give my liver an occasional surprise!

Comment

a bit over the top but I think it works well in this case

Agree with Alan regarding the arc and also tone down the blown area along the bottom left

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

It's lost all sense of realism but with the subject matter and that sky the end result is effective and pictorial - very much more Art than record shot.

On the downside the sun is somewhat intrusive, though it's hard to figure out what could be done, and like the others I would recommend zapping the excessive lens flare bottom right...
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Works well John, almost like an oil painting.

Bill.
            7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

I don’t think realism matters personally...this is an excellent impacting image to my eyes and mind! Well done John
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

That is a really good picture that works for me, I like the composition and the sky in my view makes the whole image work. It wouldn’t be as good with a plain sky. Well done.

Ian
                Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thanks folks,

I did think it was going to polarise opinion and that's good as it prompted a few comments which I always appreciate. I agree the sun is a bit bright but past attempts I've made to reduce blown areas have always turned them a muddy grey. The flare I actually quite like and feel it adds interest and fills in that corner and, while flare has no place in a 'straight' shot, it seems to suit the arty effect I was after here. There are, after all, thousands of straight shots of this view taken every year so it's a locals prerogative to be different

Cheers,
                  John

Comment

I like it a lot, HDR can be a bit ‘marmite’ but certainly works for some images........this is one of those
                    Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Thanks Jeff I couldn't agree more about HDR It did take me a while to appreciate them and I readily acknowledge that some of my earlier forays into the process were a bit, no, a lot, out there (note to self: go back and reprocess them). This one was processed in Aurora and I have to confess I'm still struggling with both it and Luminar as the preset images are either too bland or too extreme and I'm still far too low down the learning curves to fly solo (second note to self: watch the tutorial videos!)

Cheers,
                      John

Comment

As others have mentioned it could with a couple of tweaks to tone down/ remove flare be a better image. HDR does make for interesting debates. Personally I think this is a bit OTT but I could imagine it as a jigsaw puzzle. I think in this image the sky carries the HDR IYSWIM.
                        Well done John [emoji106]

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
                        Peter

Feel free to browse my
                        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thanks Peter and IDSWYM

Cheers,
                          John

Comment

Working...