Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 At Kenilworth Castle yesterday - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At Kenilworth Castle yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At Kenilworth Castle yesterday

Just one from yesterday
    IMG_0003-2 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr

Re: At Kenilworth Castle yesterday

Nice scene of an interesting location with some lovely mellow tones and an intriguing 'where does it lead' footpath. Lots of more nice ones on Flickr

Question, though, any reason you shot at f22?

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Thank you John,greatly appreciated.

I'd only just got there when taking this,and was just starting to think of settings,f22 seemed"right".
      Last edited by Guest; 24-08-2018, 15:08.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nighthawk View Post
        I'd only just got there when taking this,and was just starting to think of settings,f22 seemed"right".
        Hmm, OK... Personally I'd think that's stopped down a bit too much and probably the reason you needed ISO400 on a sunny day. f8 is generally considered the 'sweet spot' and the aperture at which a lens performs the best - there are reasons to deviate from this but there is a price to be paid when you do. Stopping down a lens unnecessarily either increases the ISO leading to noise (grain) or a slower shutter (shake unless using a tripod) or both.

Cheers,
        John

Comment

Thanks for that John,duly noted.I had Auto ISO selected,set to a maximum of 400.

It was a shot I wanted to grab when I spotted the scene on arrival.

Comment

f22 is never best particularly on an APS-C camera. Once you get to an aperture smaller than f8, diffraction impacts the image quality considerably and that is visible on your picture here. To see an example chart look at this page which is for the Canon EF-S 18-55 MM F/3.5-5.6 IS II , the STM model (or any lens) would give the same result :
            Best digital cameras and lens reviews. If you are looking for the information about digital cameras and lenses you are in a right place. We have many professional tests of digital photography equipment.

This has nothing to do with the lens, it's just physics and there's nothing the lens designers can do about it.

Generally sticking to f11 or (better) wider is best unless you really need depth of field when you have things both close and far which have to be in focus. As John says, f8 is often a sweet spot and usually gives enough depth of field as well.
            EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X