Portland Lighthouse in Black & White

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Portland Lighthouse in Black & White

Trying to decide which of these long exposure images to print. So if you could print 1, which one would it be?

Image 1:
    IMG_5701 copy.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Image 2:
    IMG_5710v1.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Image 3:
    IMG_5717v1.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Image 4:
    IMG_5721v1 copy.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Thanks for your input
    Tom

Re: Portland Lighthouse in Black & White

For me, just like the colour versions, it is no 1. Don't get me wrong, they are all great but to explain my decision: In the last two the long exposure effect is less obvious to me, whereas in the first two I like the milkiness around the rocks which adds interest. Of these the second one works well as part of a set but in isolation I think I would always say to myself 'Oh I wish I could see more of the lighthouse'. So the first one does this plus has interest all the way to both bottom corners of the frame. That said, and as I commented on the colour, I'd clone the intrusion bottom left into a hedge.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

First one for me. I think the first two both appeal more probably owing to the left-to-right flow as we would read and like Alex prefer seeing more of the building.

All nice shots though Having finally splashed on a new tripod and with a Hoya Pro ND1000 on its way I will hopefully be out trying some LE shots myself very shortly.
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

In colour I preferred the first but, in mono, I think the last one despite the minimal LE effect but because of the greater tonal variation. All work well in mono though

Cheers,
        John
        Last edited by ColytonJohn; 27-08-2018, 20:01.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
          For me, just like the colour versions, it is no 1. Don't get me wrong, they are all great but to explain my decision: In the last two the long exposure effect is less obvious to me, whereas in the first two I like the milkiness around the rocks which adds interest. Of these the second one works well as part of a set but in isolation I think I would always say to myself 'Oh I wish I could see more of the lighthouse'. So the first one does this plus has interest all the way to both bottom corners of the frame. That said, and as I commented on the colour, I'd clone the intrusion bottom left into a hedge.
          Sorry Alex, I'm no longer using LR for processing, I have switched to ON1. In ON1 you are suppose to be able to export from any module, however I found a bug that exporting from their develop mode does not incorporate any changes made, you need to go back into the browse mode to effect the changes prior to importing. That is why you suggestion was not seen.

IMG_5701 copy1.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

So I re exported it from the Browse mode

Tom

Comment

Thanks Chris and John for stopping by and leaving a message.

Comment

Well that's interesting.

In colour I liked nš 2 but in mono it's hard to disagree with Alex as to why nš 1 wins hands down, and it does for me too
              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

I'd have to go with 1 and 3. In 2 the lighthouse feels a bit too much of incidental inclusion rather than the subject and 4 is a bit to square on...
                Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks for stopping by Bo and Nigel

Comment

Working...
                  X