Challenge nº 146 - Doors and Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Challenge nº 146 - Doors and Windows

This challenge finishes at the end of this weekend ....................

so just a little bump to remind you all in case you have something in mind!
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

The media centre at Lord's cricket ground:

Lord's Media Centre windows
      by AlexR!, on Flickr
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks to all of you who entered, the challenge is now closed and I’ll get my judging cap on.

Comment

Thanks to all you good folks who entered!

As ever I love to see the variety of ways of tackling the subject matter. On this challenge I thought there would be more people in the pictures- seen through a window or leaning in a doorway. Still, at least we didn’t get Brian in the shower!

Car Window- Steve I’m not sure what the emphasis is on this picture. The seats are nicely in focus but is that the main interest or is it what I’m lead to see through it- an OOF background?

Boarded window- David This is an interesting shape and subject. You’ve grounded it nicely, avoided positioning it centrally,and that lintel adds to the charming shape. I know you’re not a fan of PP but personally I’d have squeezed as much clarity and contrast out of that lovely old wood and old stone as I could

Moon Window- Peter A very pleasing shot- nicely symmetrical with well controlled light and shadows . Lots to interest us both inside and outside and even in the frame itself. Yep- found the moon eventually

Blue Moo- Tom A curious shot which richly rewards further inspection- windows seen from a car window. The wipers have left interesting patterns and the abstract feel and the blue colours lift this image

Out of the Darkness- John I love the out-of-the-box idea here and it makes for a dramatic shot. I’m just a bit cagey about having over 50% of the image so dark. I’d have also tidied up the beach - at a minimum the lower legs on the left and the red bag but also maybe some of the distant figures so that the guy to the front stands out more

Stained Glass - Nigel I’m always fascinated by the beauty & colours of a SGW and love taking shots of them. Here you’ve got the light through the window nicely controlled but the surround is maybe too dark. Your choice with this of course but bracketing is always an option. A little more space above and below may have helped the image too.

The Mill Window- Ian There’s a lovely peaceful view through that window and some interest around the frame. I think this picture would have been improved by pulling back a bit then going for a square crop.

Shower Door- Brian. Well this is different! I presume you’re inside looking out and it makes for some interesting abstract shapes behind the door. Nice touch to add the mono which enhances your dripping water

Through the square window- Chris. The inside and out are both interesting and my eye isn’t sure which side to look at next. It makes for compelling viewing. To improve this shot I think you could have removed the non-blue cushions which would then have emphasised the nicely balanced primary colours

Media Centre Lord’s - Alex Great angle on the building, inch perfect symmetry (we know what you like!) and some moody processing

After some scratching of head my winners are

1st Peter - Moon Window

2nd Chris- Through the square window

3rd Tom -Blue Moo

So congratulations to my top 3 and we look forward to seeing what Peter comes up with

Comment

Well done Peter, look forward to your challenge. Thanks Bo for the constructive comments & for setting an interesting challenge.

Comment

Congratulations Peter and well done to Chris and Tom, and thanks Bo for the challenge, judging and comments.

Look forward to your new challenge Peter

Ian
              Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Thank you to Barbara for setting the challenge and for her helpful critique - and well done Peter.
                John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

I’m at a loss, I didn’t expect to even be placed in this competition, given the quality of the images posted.
                  Thanks for running and judging this competition Barbara. Your feedback as always is concise and helpful. Congratulations to everyone that entered this time.
                  I shall retire to a darkened room with a small Malt Whisky to help me get over the shock of the result and give some serious thought about the next subject. Hopefully the next challenge will get plenty of entries.

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
                  Peter

Feel free to browse my
                  Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Very well done Peter, my fellow podium-mate Tom and all who entered. Thanks to Bo for the great challenge and the excellent comments for each shot.

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                    I shall retire to a darkened room with a small Malt Whisky to help me get over the shock of the result and give some serious thought about the next subject.
                    Given the circumstances, might I suggest you make that a large one in celebration?
                    Chris
                    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Congratulations Peter!
                      A very worthy winner.
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Congratulations Peter on the win and a big thanks to Bo for coming up with the subject and judging

Tom

Comment

Thanks for a great subject, Bo, and for your usual perceptive comments on each. Well done to Peter, Chris and Tom for your great entries, all very worthy of being placed. See you on the next , which I see is already up.
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Working...
                          X