Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge nº 146 - Doors and Windows

Doors and Windows

Plenty of subject matter for you to choose from!

Show me part or all of one or more doors and/or windows in your image………………or the view through it/them.

Be as creative as you like to make your image memorable.

Judging will be based on the following-
    * fulfilling the brief
    * a good photo based on composition, focus and consideration to the light.
    * Having impact. Will I remember your image after I go away from the computer?

As ever I'll do my best to give friendly and constructive comments and find a winner based on my criteria stated above, bearing in mind my strictly amateur status

For those new or shy on this forum, I particularly encourage you to enter. Hopefully in doing so you will challenge yourself and have a bit of fun at the same time.

The usual rules apply:
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use a Canon DSLR.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date for entries is midnight Sunday 23rd September - enough time to get the thought processes running, take the shot and tweak it in PP

Have fun and have a go!

Bo
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Re: Challenge nº 146 - Doors and Windows

My car.

9-3_Window_0116
    by
    Stephen Thompson
    , on Flickr

Originally taken for a completely different purpose, but then on reflection I realised that it might just fulfill the brief for this month's challenge.

While I'm here at the keyboard, I wonder if (at the risk of ruffling a few feathers) I could offer a suggestion regarding the rule on submission(s) for the challenge(s), in particular the rule allowing only one submission per person per challenge.

I was torn between submitting my offering immediately, or maybe hanging on until later in the month just in case I take another ("better") shot which obviously I would not then be able to submit.

If I had delayed my entry (and if other members are wrestling with the same issue) then it could be that we are all hanging on until the 'eleventh hour' just in case we come up with a more magnificent offering in the following days/weeks, possibly resulting in a pregnant pause of entries in the early days/weeks of the challenge followed (hopefully) by a gaggle of entries in the closing days.

However, if members were allowed to submit (say) two entries per challenge then it would be possible to submit a 'banker' image early on, and follow this up 'as and when' with a second ("better") offering before the challenge closing date.

My contention is that such a change might encourage a more steady flow of entries throughout the whole of the challenge period which would prolong the interest (excitement?) for everyone and offer encouragement to those who may be reluctant to 'dip their toe in'.

Feel free to shoot me down in flames - no offence taken ;-)

Regards.
    Steve.

Comment

Steve.

I’m sure in the past people have just asked for their initial entry to be discarded as they have a better picture in mind and posted their new picture.

Or edited their post assuming it remains editable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Andy
      Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
      EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
      [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

In the last challenge I did exactly as Andy's second option; I posted an entry, and then realised it needed improvement so worked on it some more and a few days later replaced my original simply by editing the post (I did also make a comment in the 'edit' field to explain). So feel free to replace as many times as you like up until the deadline.
        I worry that with your suggestion of multiple entries you would inevitably get someone that doesn't come back at the end and say which entry to use. When setting the competition I usually choose a deadline because I know I should have a bit of time available the following day to do the judging, but this can take a couple of hours and the last thing I want to have to then do is to have to wait for people to respond to my chasing, and then I may not have time to post the results for several more days.
        But that all said, thanks for the suggestion, above is only my view, others will chip in and we really should consider anything that encourages entries.
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I think it best that come judgement day there is just one entry per person.

It’s just a bit of fun.....albeit fiercely contested by some!.... and I think we’d lose the spirit if places 1 and 2 for example were from the same entrant

I have in the past put in an entry and changed it before the final day... as have many others I think.... seems to be OK with members and cometh the hour we judge what’s before us.

I am in Seville right now so reading this on the hoof as it were. Always happy to hear suggestions from members but in this case I think we are just reiterating that you can change your entry until the final moment. ... no worries
          Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

I agree with Alex & Bo.
            Dave

Comment

Good to get other opinions.

Many thanks.

Steve.

Comment

Boarded Window

Boarded window by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

Moon Window but... you may have to look closely!

Last edited by ST-EOS; 09-09-2018, 14:48.
                  Peter

Feel free to browse my
                  Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Rainy Day Blue Moo

IMG_9167.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

Comment

The cave-man's doorway, out of the darkness........

and into the light

Out of the darkness by John Liddle, on Flickr
                      Last edited by John Liddle; 16-09-2018, 19:38.
                      John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Stained Glass Window

Stained Glass by nigel winters, on Flickr
                        Nigel
                        EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

View through the mill window

The Mill Window by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
                          Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Shower door....(no camera or lens was subjected to water in making this image)

_MG_0069-2.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
                            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Looking towards the beach through the window of the Old Boathouse Cafe at Hunstanton (great cake!).

Through the square window by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
                              Chris
                              80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Working...
                              X