Re: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Hands-on Review

The majority of L lens are black so that argument doesn't stand up
      We are talking about the white L lens 70-300 read next time
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelkphotowork/

Comment

Originally posted by CanonEOS View Post
        We are talking about the white L lens 70-300 read next time
        I suggest you read what Trevor said that it was a 'product' differentiation' Clearly if the L range is mostly black then it can't be. Perhaps it is you that needs to read carefully?
        ef-r

Comment

Trevor said:
          I think it’s a product differentiation gimmick that is of no real benefit to the photographer. Who really wants to draw attention their lens?
          differentiation means to make it more attractive to a particular target market.

gimmick means Major product features which are poorly designed become known as gimmicks

Yes I can read thanks

Comment

You can have your opinion obviously - so I guess you wont be buying Canon lens if they are poorly designed. In fact you might have been better buying Nikon which have no gimmick black lens

I dont remember saying you couldn't read - that was your remark to me!
            Last edited by briansquibb; 13-02-2011, 16:51.
            ef-r

Comment

I am a Canon owner and I only like black lenses on my black EOS 60D body IMO

I also have the canon 18-55mm and 18-135mm, soon at the end of this year Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM black lens

Nikon don't make me Laugh.

Comment

I am a Canon owner and I only like black lenses on my black EOS 60D body IMO
                I guess you're not into wildlife photography?

Comment

... soon at the end of this year Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM black lens
                  Why wait till then, here you go:

LensCoat Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM

Comment

I think the day I start choosing equipment on the basis of what it looks like is the day I need to give up photography.
                    Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Glenn
                      I guess you're not into wildlife photography
                      Everyone to their own photography.; Wildlife no

Why wait till then, here you go:
                      You always see the funny side of things, if a lens was like the one you show in the picture I would never buy one because it's too big for me, and the cover would get wet if it rains, most Professionals I have read online don't always use the big telephoto L lens.
                      Last edited by Michael.K; 21-02-2011, 16:18.

Comment

Glenn

Everyone to their own photography.; Wildlife no

You always see the funny side of things, if a lens was like the one you show in the picture I would never buy one because it's still white under its cover; And I never understand why Professionals need a big white zoom lenses if they take wildlife in the green forest? unless the lens can change colour.
                        There is a good supply of camo for the wildlife photographers. It is usually the sports togs that keep them white

I dont think Professionals need big white lens - they just need big, high quality lens. The fact that they are white is neither here nor there as the colour can be and does get changed.

I agree with Wooley - I dont care about the colour, only the IQ and the ease which that IQ can be obtained.

It is up to you which colour lens you buy - but dont criticise others for their choice
                        ef-r

Comment

I don't care about the white lens like I said I like the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM for my camera if others like the white Canon lenses that ok but not for me.

Comment

Think upon:

White reflects heat. Black absorbs heat. In very hot climates, with very large telephoto's, expansion of only a few microns could affect the lens calibration. For wildlife togs, the camouflaged sleeves are neoprene lined, which acts as insulation against heat and cold.

As long as they perform well, I really don't care what colour they are ........................ except Pink!

Colin
                            Colin

Comment

White reflects heat. Black absorbs heat. In very hot climates
                              I understand this part.

But the other part is why do Canon have Black EOS camera body; if Black absorbs heat? the camera could over heat and damage the camera?

And another reason why have a "very large telephoto's" if it's all to do with the sun?

So if the lens is shorter less heat the longer the lens more heat

I also know the white paint is to minimise heat from the Sun that could cause the elements to distort.

Because we live in a world of 'technology' I hope in the future all lenses will become smaller not bigger.
                              Last edited by Michael.K; 14-02-2011, 10:02.

Comment

But the other part is why do Canon have Black EOS camera body if Black absorbs heat?
                                Primarily fashion, in my opinion. Canon have in the past had Silver bodies and the market (we) decided that black was preferred. In short, we bought a hell of a lot more Black than Silver bodies. Also, with a much smaller surface area, a similar percentage of expansion would have a nil, or negligible effect on the expansion of the body.

And another reason why have a "very large telephoto's" if it's all to do with the sun?
                                Most "things" are designed to work at their optimum within a given temperature range. The larger the telephoto, the larger it's surface area, the quicker it can respond to heat and expand beyond the designed temperature range. But, you can also have differential expansion, where it expands where the light and high temperature strikes the lens, but not, or at a very different rate, where other areas of the lens are in shadow. With around 20 glass elements, focussing mechanisms, a couple of gyroscopes for the Image Stabilisation mechanism and a few other bits and pieces, it would be far too difficult to design a solution for each circumstance.

So if the lens is shorter less heat the longer the lens more heat
                                Yes. Although it would be more accurate to say a lens with small surface area, or large surface area ................. not as easy on the tongue though!

A few final thoughts:
                                • Many modern lenses have the external body made of plastic. Although many people instinctively shy away from the thought, space age plastics can be literally bullet proof and the right combinations can make a very superior lens body, which can also have greater insulation properties than Aluminium, or magnesium alloys. Why not make the big lenses from space age plastic then? Obvious reasons spring to mind:
                                • The tooling to mould plastic bodies is very expensive. Not a problem if the cost is spread over half a million bodies, but you are not going to produce and sell very many 800mm L series telephoto's. Much easier to use a lost wax casting and a CAD program to machine to tolerance.
                                • With L series lenses, you are not only paying for superior quality, but also for a more robust lens that will take the abuse that professional photographers reluctantly have to put their equipment through the get their shots. Military spec Magnesium alloy has an obviously proven track record for robustness in the field, so is the material of first choice.
                                • These lenses are very expensive and represent a huge investment to photographers, whether advance amateur, or Pro. They wouldn't take kindly to a plastic L series telephoto, even if it was a more suitable material. Perception is all. Look at the controversy that still reigns over using plastic lens mounts. For its function, it is more suitable than Aluminium, yet in our minds (the buying public) metal lens mounts carry a premium.
                                Hope that helps.

Colin
                                Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X