• Show
Clear All

Re: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Hands-on Review

colin C

Thanks
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelkphotowork/

Comment

It was a good discussion Canon EOS, but I bet you still don't like White Lenses?

Believe it or not, I am with you to a certain extent. The only thing of White lens ownership I don't like is the "look at me effect". Now don't get me wrong, when I bought my first one, I was proud as punch and if complete strangers wanted to come up and discuss equipment, that was fine ..........but not after the first week! I have been in situations where people have walked across two fields to talk about camera lenses and although I am happy to be polite for a while, there is a part of me inside that wants to say, go away, I only bought it to take pictures, it's just a tool!

Colin
      Colin

Comment

Colin

I had nothing to add to your last statement you are more experience than me on cameras and lenses, I am just learning about the DSLR world more and my camera and lens

If you like your white telephoto lens that's up to you; You must have got it for a reason wildlife or sport, But I don't like the big zoom white colour lens it looks to me the wrong colour on a black EOS camera IMO but I change the colour. but if makes you look more professional that up to you, in the end it just a tool for pictures. that how I see it.

Michael
        Last edited by Michael.K; 21-02-2011, 16:12.

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
          Primarily fashion, in my opinion. Canon have in the past had Silver bodies and the market (we) decided that black was preferred.
          Hmm. Guilty. The 400D was available in either black or silver and I thought the silver just looked wrong!

Originally posted by colin C View Post
          They wouldn't take kindly to a plastic L series telephoto, even if it was a more suitable material. Perception is all. Look at the controversy that still reigns over using plastic lens mounts. For its function, it is more suitable than Aluminium, yet in our minds (the buying public) metal lens mounts carry a premium.
          I remember being advised against the bigger, heavier lenses (not that I wanted one anyway) because they could damage the plastic mount on the camera.

Do I care that one of my lenses is white? Not really. I suspect it's a marketing thing at that level. I do see that it can make a difference to the bigger lenses, but if it were that important, surely other manufacturers would follow suit? One curious side effect I've noticed - if you point a white lens at someone they tend to look at the camera and smile. I've no idea why that should be.
          Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

I don't care if my lenses are black, white or flourescent orange because whatever colour it will have a camo lenscoat over it. I'm certain that breaking up the shape helps me get more shots when wandering around the countryside. Perhaps the wildlife associate a long lens with being shot at with a gun...
            Ron

www.severnvalephoto.co.uk

Cameras: 5D, 7D, 1DmkIV, G1X.
            Lenses: 16-35 F2.8 L, 24-105 F4 LIS, 70-300 LIS, 180 L macro, 200 F2.8 L, 400 F2.8 LIS mkII.

Comment

Canon White telephoto lens is most talked about on other forums and now here.

here is one :

A lot of people will say it is for thermal expansion reasons; a white lens absorbs less light than a black lens therefore doesn't get as hot. however, only canon really does it and only for the pro lenses, I don't think that is really the deal because then other makers would do it too?; I think it is more of an advertising thing: you see a photographer with a big white lens and you think 'that guy is shooting canon' and you see a photographer with a big black lens and you think 'that guy is shooting anything but canon'
              Last edited by Michael.K; 21-02-2011, 16:13.

Comment

It is a pointless discussion on whether LARGE Caoon lens should be white. They have been white a long time so wake up and smell the coffeee
                ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by CanonEOS View Post
                  As I seem to recall you changed the subject of the thread from a discussion about a video review of the 70-300 to a pointless rant about the use of white for a colour for some Canon lenses. If you're tired about reading discussions about Canon white telephoto lenses and x VS y then don't bother reading those threads! You'll find that here we discuss the merits of the lenses and aren't bothered by colour, it's not a fashion accessory after all.

Comment

You shock me 'Glenn' this is one post you haven't joked about on what I have said

briansquibb
                    I don't like coffee

I will not reply again about the white star trek lenese

Comment

Originally posted by CanonEOS View Post

The new star trek telephoto lens- (I see Mars Jim)
                      If that is the case the marketing men at Canon have done a good job then ,to sell you have to get noticed people say ho i want one of them white lens also they are good.
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/fspimages

Donald Duck Rode To 500cc World Championships 1976 &1977.
                      Canon EOS 40 D 7 D - 5 D Mk II.Canon 100-400mm IS - Canon 24-105mm IS -
                      Canon 28-135mm IS - Canon 70-300mm IS - Canon 100mm 2.8 IS - Sigma 120-300mm Sigma 12-24 mm Sigma 10-20mm.

Doncaster Phoenix They Are The Future

Comment

[QUOTE=Woolley

One curious side effect I've noticed - if you point a white lens at someone they tend to look at the camera and smile. I've no idea why that should be.[/QUOTE]

The smile is due to the red ring around the lens - its not about it being white - this is the 'red lipstick' effect - where the red mimics arousal......!
                        (I make a point of not wearing any....not in the day anyway)
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I wonder they don't incorporate an actual camera within some of these lens's looking at the size and price of them.

Comment

To resurrect this thread and get it a little back on track instead of discussing barrel colours it seems to me that a 70-300 would be the ideal companion to my 15-85.

Therefore has anyone got a lens in this range or would care to recommend something else? The L glass sounds great but is obviously quite a bit more than others. There is a Tamron that sounds pretty good value too. Any thoughts?
                            TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

I have one of these and it is an excellent lens!

Which Tamron?
                              ef-r

Comment

Hi Brian,

The not so catchily titled 70-300 F4-5.6 SP Di VC USD it seems to be slightly better value than the Canon at the same price.

Another quandry is if I decide to stretch to the L would I then be better to get a 70-200 2.8 and a 1.4 converter.
                                TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Working...
                                X