Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Hands-on Review

That is an interesting dilema of the 70-300L or the 70-200 f/2.8 + 1.4

There are pros and cons for both - I have both.

1. The 70-200 I use as a general purpose lens (on the 5DII whose AF benefits), when the light is low or I need the f/2.8 for shallow DOF

2. I use the 70-300L as a walkabout lens (for the lighter weght), for street photos (it is MUCH less intimidating) or as a lens on the backup body

In my experience there is little to choose in the way of IQ and both have the latest 4 stop IS

The 70-300L is a lot cheaper than the 70-200+1.4

It would appear that the Tamron is competing against the non L 70-300 - review http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff...70300f456eosff
    ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
      The 70-300L is a lot cheaper than the 70-200+1.4
      But not the 70-200 f/4, which is arguably the lens with which it is competing since it doesn't have the capability to go to 2.8. At that point there's not much in it and the question becomes 'how often do I go over 200m and how much notice do I need?' If the answers are 'frequently' and 'need to react quickly' then the 70-300 becomes the better option.

I don't have any experience of the third party options (or, indeed, of Canon's 70-300) but the 'L's are formidable performers able to knock out stunning IQ, low aberation and distortion and exceptional sharpness. People I know who've tried alternatives suggest they have to compromise on at least one of those or work a little harder to get around them.
      Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
        But not the 70-200 f/4, which is arguably the lens with which it is competing since it doesn't have the capability to go to 2.8.
        You either lose IS or there is little in price between the 70-300L and the 70/200L f/4 IS

Both are good lens - just depends on your priorities.
        ef-r

Comment

I've just traded in my 7D for a 5Dmk2 and done my first shoot with the 70-300LIS. Whilst there is a bit more vignetting wide open (easily corrected in LR3 via the lens calibration correction) the detail and resolution is simply stunning. Focus for BIFs is pretty good too (much better than I had feared from some of the negative write-ups I'd seen on the web.)
          It confirms my view that canon got this lens right!
          My camera is helping to look at the world more closely, then record what I see to share with others.

http://imagesfromnature.foliopic.com

Comment

Originally posted by oldcanon View Post
            I've just traded in my 7D for a 5Dmk2 and done my first shoot with the 70-300LIS. Whilst there is a bit more vignetting wide open (easily corrected in LR3 via the lens calibration correction) the detail and resolution is simply stunning. Focus for BIFs is pretty good too (much better than I had feared from some of the negative write-ups I'd seen on the web.)
            It confirms my view that canon got this lens right!
            On ff or APS-H it makes a great walkabout lens both from an IQ and diminuative size. I think it is destined to be a classic, rather like the 28-300 was before it (a 24-105 + 70-300L are lighter than the 28-300)
            ef-r

Comment

Working...
            X