Auto Focus Micro-Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto Focus Micro-Adjustment

I'm thinking of buying a Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 Di VC USD G2 lens for using with my 6D Mkll. I do covet the Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L ll USM of course but in my mid-sixties and not getting any younger a stabilized lens is likely to be more beneficial for me. My question though is that Tamron also sell some sort of docking device to fine tune some of their lenses if necessary including the model that I am interested in.
    Of course it might cause one's eyebrows to be raised that this might have to be done to a new brand new lens but there it is. What I am wondering is this, has anyone else got this lens and if so did you have to carry out this docking procedure? Or can I use my camera's built in AFMA to optimize the sharpness of this lens if necessary?
    Many thanks in advance for any advice or answers which are always generously forthcoming on this forum.
    Last edited by pipflash51; 04-09-2018, 10:28.

Re: Auto Focus Micro-Adjustment

I have the 1st gen of this lens and it is an excellent lens that I use on my 6DMKII. Haven’t had the need to make any adjustments in camera for sharpness, so I don’t think the docking station is needed. If you find you think it needs to be sharper, I would use the in camera method.

Tom

Comment

I can't comment on the Tamron, but when I bought my Sigma 150-600 (S) I was not happy with the focus at all. With the help of Jeff (Black Fox) on here I adjusted it using the Sigma dock and the results were the difference between chalk and cheese - it became a different lens!
      Yet I think it was Stan that said his was OK straight out of the box.
      I have since lent my Dock to someone and they were amazed at the difference once they did the adjustments on theirs.
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thanks for your reply Tom as it's interesting to know that the first version of this lens works well. However, I don't think there have been any issues with it but the second version is the one that sometimes needs tweaking for optimum performance.

Comment

Thanks for the info Trev and it might be worth my while in checking my Sigma 100-400 lens as I'm not 100% happy with the results.Even on a tripod with OS turned off and fast shutter speeds I don't believe it is as sharp as it could be. Regards from Phil

Comment

Originally posted by pipflash51 View Post
            Thanks for the info Trev and it might be worth my while in checking my Sigma 100-400 lens as I'm not 100% happy with the results.Even on a tripod with OS turned off and fast shutter speeds I don't believe it is as sharp as it could be. Regards from Phil
            First off is it a old tripod foot model ,or the latest version that is tuneable ?

Comment

Remember that a/f microadjustment is only relevant when you are using the viewfinder, it's irrelevant when using Live View, which is why mirrorless cameras don't have any facility for microadjustment. So try shooting the same subject, with the lens wide open, both in viewfinder mode and Live View. If there's no difference in sharpness then no amount of microadjustment will make any difference and if you're not happy with the image quality there must be some other issue.
              EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I must be fickle as now I'm thinking that after all the Canon 24-70, without IS of course, might be a better buy as a lot of reviews rate it very highly and with such high image quality and attention paid to my technique for steady holding of the camera then who does need the IS of the Tamron? A lighter lens too. Any thoughts anybody?

Comment

Originally posted by pipflash51 View Post
                  Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I must be fickle as now I'm thinking that after all the Canon 24-70, without IS of course, might be a better buy as a lot of reviews rate it very highly and with such high image quality and attention paid to my technique for steady holding of the camera then who does need the IS of the Tamron? A lighter lens too. Any thoughts anybody?
                  any canon lens will work better than a third party one , the main makers canon/nikon only release there camera/lens algorithms to certain companies obviously as they will be selling in competition to themselves . so branded lenses will always be better . the only other thing that changes that is if its a used lens that has been mis-treated

Comment

Working...
                  X