Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Canon Eos R full frame announced

Didn't see it posted elsewhere, looks good

Setting new standards, the Canon EOS R is a pioneering full frame mirrorless camera offering faster response time, 4k video, high quality images and optimal performance.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Re: New Canon Eos R full frame announced

30.3 Megapixels
    Dual Pixel CMOS AF sensor
    8fps
    continuous shooting
    100-40000
    ISO
    4K and 10-bit
    movies
    Silent
    shutter
    Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
    connectivity
    -6 EV
    low light AF
    USB 3.1
    port

Review
    Last edited by TonyT; 05-09-2018, 18:45.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Tony...I started one on 2/8/18....two threads down.....No problem as it is mainly 3 pages of speculation and the last page today was first reactions to the release....its cleaner to continue on here perhaps.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Ahh sorry Brian I looked for the name not subject matter, I'm hanging on for the new 5DSR when it comes out.

Comment

When initial reactions to the full frame Nikon mirrorless came out I described them as "mixed" most positive with some reservations.
          Reactions to the Canon R have not been mixed, they have all been negative. Main issues :

No In Body Image Stabilisation (IBIS) something more or less universal in mirrorless for years

Slow maximum frame rate. Mirrorless can normally shoot many more frames per second than dslrs, this is snail like in comparison to others.

4K video has a 1.7x crop, so no advantage over having an APS-C sensor camera. 4K also only at 30 fps.

There are a number of other issues raised, but these are the main ones where Canon is well behind the competition. The only area where it maintains an advantage is the dual pixel cmos a/f in Live View, still the best.

It's difficult to see why anyone who isn't already invested in Canon lenses etc would choose this over other models which have better features at lower price. At least the basic lens adapter is cheap for those of us with lots of lenses.

Canon are said to be producing their "professional" mirrorless model next year, so maybe they have deliberately restricted this one so as not to compete with the next one, which is typical of their corporate culture.
          EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

The view seemed to be that this is a 6D equivalent so for amateurs that don’t have the cash to run to the 5D or 1dx series and it seems to be a decent match in terms of capabilities - for example 5fps in servo mode is I think what the 6D does, i.e not blazingly fast.

Lenses seem to be setting the bar very high though, particularly in terms of cost, and have gone for high-end stuff which supports Richard’s comment around a pro model coming some time later. The video side i’ve never touched but the 1.7 crop factor on that just seems to be full of fail - Canon protecting their other market by providing a capability that no one seems likely to ever want to use, but they did provide it so that’s a box ticked...

And at the same time, Fuji announce the X-T3 with massively improved AF, which was already pretty good to be honest, and an X-Trans sensor that goes back to the style of the original versions but with a greater pixel count. And video that works as you expect with little or no crop depending on what mode you use. And tons of native lenses that are both high-quality and relatively inexpensive.

My feeling is it’s a bit meh, could do better.
            EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Despite the marketing hyperbole which seems to have been spun around the launch the whole camera seems a bit "me too" and very typical of the lacklustre state of Canon's innovation lately. Canon's bluster describes it as "A pioneering full-frame mirrorless camera that sets new standards." yet it seems more of a coat tail hanger...
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Agreed. I'm not sure how Canon can describe it as pioneering when you consider that at least one Sony model - the A7 series - is on it's third generation of, err, full frame mirrorless camera.
                EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

So Canon are off target again, what a shame

I was mildly interested as somewhere down the line I may be tempted to swap to mirrorless but it would need at least the same capability as my 5D3, have a good EVF and the ability to use my range of EF lenses without loss or issue.

At the price mentioned I was just about able to give it consideration but the spec is far too low and I can see that a 'Pro' 5Dn mirrorless equivalent will be waaay out of my price range.

I don't shoot video but many do and when I was at the Albert Hall last year for a Who concert there were four tripod-mounted mirrorless cameras around the stage. I couldn't see what they were but they won't have been Canon and even with this EOS-R they won't be at future concerts either.

Cheers,
                  John

Comment

I've just read that the new Fuji X-T3 doesn't have IBIS either....but that is on the X-H1

Looking down a list of canon lenses then those that don't have IS are either f2.8 or faster or very wide angle*.....so maybe Canon's rationale is that IBIS is not needed
                    (*except the 70-200F4L and 400F5.6L)
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Just been reading about the control ring on the lens....ok like Fuji have but can be set to functions other than aperture and it’s also on one of the lens adaptors....that’s good to get the benefit on existing EF and EFS lenses....now that is nice! Also new menu bar....this design is growing on me. The lens are not small...the new 50L is about the same size as the old one so it’s not all about smaller lenses and thus no need to change any providing the adapter ring is small. Two card slots and I’d be tempted!
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                        The lens are not small...the new 50L is about the same size as the old one so it’s not all about smaller lenses and thus no need to change any providing the adapter ring is small. Two card slots and I’d be tempted!
                        The flange to sensor distance on the R is 20 mm while on the EF/EF-S it's 44 mm, so I'm assuming the adapter will be 24 mm deep. I was surprised that 2 card slots are not provided given that the target market seems to be about the same as the 5D, perhaps they're aiming at 6D users.
                        John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

When using EF-S lenses the R doesn’t use the whole sensor....so maybe the adaptor doesn’t need to be that deep?
                          Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

The flange to sensor distance of EF-S lenses is still 44 mm, it uses less of the sensor because of the relative size of an APS-C sensor which the EF-S lenses are constructed to use.
                            John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

Working...
                            X