Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Advice please for photo-calls at the 10k race on Sunday - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice please for photo-calls at the 10k race on Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice please for photo-calls at the 10k race on Sunday

Now that I've been asked to take the official photos at this Sunday's 10k race,one of the PR chaps is going to organise a few groups of the winners and charity runners for photo-calls on the day.

Do I use my flash,and with or without the diffuser please? The weather forecast looks ok so far.Also will my 18-55 lens be suitable,or do I use the other one?

I've been given the brief as to what the organisers want to see,and potentially 5 photos will be used for their press release that day.

All advice welcomed please.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2018, 14:34.

Re: Advice please for photo-calls at the 10k race on Sunday

I'm sure there will be other press photographers there - the 'Press Pack' both staff and freelance trying to earn their crust. I'm sure they will be only too willing to show you the way to go!
    Make sure you charge the appropriate fees for your work - you will be very unpopular with the professionals if you start under cutting them. Trust me I worked for a publication for twenty-five years.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Thanks Trev,I won't be charging them,just happy if any of my images make it into the press release,although I'm getting my taxi fares refunded,which is good enough for me.

It sounds very much that,because the organisers want to use 5 of my images for the press release on the day,there might not be a'Press Pack' as such,but I'll wait and see.

From the contact with their PR people so far,they are very keen to have me there.I think my'people photos' skills are up to the job from the comments on here regarding some I've posted recently.

Once I've processed the five and emailed them to meet the press deadline on the day,the rest will go on Flickr.

Comment

I always use flash when shooting portraits or team/group photos, it looks so much nicer. I don't have a diffuser but if you have one you can always use.If really sunny make sure the flash is set to high speed mode or keep your shutter speed to match the flash sync.

Paul
        EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
        Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks Paul,that's great advice.My Stofen diffuser came today,I will set high speed sync on the flash and leave it set so I don't have to worry about shutter speeds.

Comment

I would use the flash for runners with there medals/ group or individual shots but not necessarily when their running but you can always give it a try it won't harm and they won't actually be moving that fast.
            Good luck.

Paul
            EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.

Comment

Brilliant!Apart from the photo-calls,they want general shots of the event..the mass warm-up of runners,the event village with all the sponsors tents etc.

I will have press access to the start/finish line too,so all in all,quite a busy few hours for me.

Do I need to set any flash compensation,either plus or minus,or just leave it off?

Comment

I don't think you should need to as the flash is there just to lift the shadow and will also give the shot some impact.

The main problem you may have is there will be a lot going on and sometimes its hard to know were to start, get there early and stay focused on the brief.

Paul

Comment

Thanks Paul,that's what I'll do.I'll have the flash on ETTL which should give what's needed I think.

I'll concentrate on the start etc first,then wander around until the first runners are due back,and then it's going to get hectic for an hour or so,with the finish and photo-calls.

Comment

Good luck and all the best

paul

Comment

Thanks Paul,much appreciated.

I'll post a couple on here in due course.

Comment

Roy.....just my ten penneth...hopefully Paul will say if he thinks this is wrong....but for action I'd be tempted to set a shutter speed to freeze the action....say 1/500, set at least f5.6 or f8 to ensure adequate depth of field and set ISO to auto. Or set the ISO to the value needed after a few test shots providing the light isn't changing much.

Also, shoot with plenty of space around the subject so you can make nice crops without risking cutting off the subjects feet etc.

For group shots as above with a small aperture to ensure people at the front and back of the group are in focus....and use fill in flash perhaps set to ETTL but -1 stop.

Whatever you decide on settings make sure it works before you start taking important shots...if you start changing your mind during the shoot you could just confuse yourself and make mistakes.

Good luck!
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Brian,I'd more or less decided on a fast speed for the action shots,but your hints re plenty of space to allow for cropping and the ISO settings are very useful.I'm comfortable with leaving ISO on auto now,set to a maximum of 400.

For the group and solo shots I'll go along with f8 as you suggest,and also -1 stop,which can can tweaked if needed.Ill be using ETTL all day.

I tend to work better under pressure to a degree,the PR chap who phoned me today,and who will be my contact on the day will work with me re the brief.
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-09-2018, 20:49.

Comment

Have a great day...looking forward to seeing the results on here hopefully...
                            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thank you Brian,I'll be there for just three hours,8-11am,then home to pick out the five shots for the press release,process them,and email them off to meet the 2pm deadline.

I'll process all the others later on Sunday for the PR chaps to look at on Flickr,and then put a couple on here too of course.

I'm greatly looking forward to it all,a whole new experience for me working to a brief.My close friends are being very supportive,as of course are you chaps on here.It's all greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                              X