Advice please for photo-calls at the 10k race on Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice please for photo-calls at the 10k race on Sunday

Just a thought but no doubt you know EOS Magazine Shop do some excellent little Pocket Field Guides for various camera's all written by Nina Bailey. I don't know if they do one for the 550D but if they do, it may be well worth your while to see if you can get hold of one. Handy to have in your pocket on Sunday should you get stuck on any settings - you can always refer. Best of luck.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

There isn't one for the 550D but it wouldn't surprise me if there's enough similarity with, say, the 750D for one still to be useful.

And good luck Roy!
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks Trev and Chris

I'm pretty much up to speed with the settings I'll be using,indeed having been to so many events recently I've got used to changing any settings'on the fly' as it were.

The PR chap has just sent me a media accreditation form to fill in and return today,which makes it all official now.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nighthawk View Post
          Thanks Trev and Chris

The PR chap has just sent me a media accreditation form to fill in and return today,which makes it all official now.
          Well done, you must be feeling quite important now. Have they given you a Press badge to wear on the day - handy to have, gets you free tea, coffee, sandwich etc in the press tent. I used to have my NPPA pass but some events would also provide their own Press Passes to wear as well. Last event I done was the Devon County Show back in May.
          Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Thanks Trev,it will be something new for me.

I'm not sure yet if I'm getting a badge or one of the official tabards on the day, I'm getting access to non-public areas whichever they give me,so I guess that's what counts.

Just one question;If they use any of my shots for the press release and subsequent publicity etc;Should I insist on getting attribution for them? I'm not bothered about getting paid,but having my name on them would be good.

Comment

The Picture editor of the newspaper should credit you with the shots in the publication. Regarding payment you should insist on payment in fairness to those photographers who are doing it for a living - no doubt the newspaper will only be too pleased to use you in the future - a free photographer - why employ! You could become very unpopular with the other press lads, I've seen it happen on many occasions. Plus the newspaper can make a nice little screw out of you, by selling copies of your pictures to their readership. You should have all this sorted by now - I would have .
              No doubt the newspaper will love Mr Nighthawk for his free pictures - the press lads will see you as Mr Something else hawk!
              Another thing most major events like yours will have a Press Tent or whatever with Internet connection for Laptops etc. - push your pictures through to your Picture Editor from the venue - let them sort/crop etc. what they want, saves you a job and you don't have a deadline to work to. Believe me, what you may think is a great shot, the Picture Editor will think is crap - send through everything you take.
              Trev

Flickr:

Comment

Thanks Trev

I will discuss all of that with my PR contact on the day,I'll have an hour before the race starts.It's all new to me,which is why I asked the question in the first place.

It's not going to be a major event,just of local-ish interest I would think,so maybe there won't be a large press contingent there,once again I'll find out on the day.

To be honest,I'm only looking at it as a one-off,a new experience if you like,and with everything else going on in my life,I just don't have the time or inclination,of going any further after Sunday.

It all snow-balled after I'd emailed the organisers simply asking if I could take photos at the race in general.

Comment

In addition to my last reply;This is what I got in the email from the organisers when they and I first made contact;"On the day at 2pm, we will be sending a press release to our local media contacts - such as Leicester Mercury. We’d love to send some of your images to feature in the press release. Is there any chance you’d be able to send us 5 of you best images by 2pm to go with the press release please?"

Based on that,I'll be just sending the five images as requested,and then see what happens after that.

Comment

Not sure if it would apply here but might be worth checking if you need to get model releases. When we do work for the National Trust, we always need to get model releases signed by anyone who is in the shot
                    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                    flickr

Comment

I don't know Stan,I'll let the PR guy deal with all that.

I know I'll be getting a couple of shots of Tom Youngs the Rugby International before he sets the runners off..I'm sure he's used to photo-calls by now.

A bonus for me is that he's Club Captain of my local team,Leicester Tigers..who I've supported for 35 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X