Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Leicester 10k race yesterday - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leicester 10k race yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leicester 10k race yesterday

After much work in LR I've more or less salvaged 17 images from yesterday
    IMG_0263 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
    IMG_0279 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
    IMG_0112 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
    The last one is of Tom Youngs,Leicester Tigers club captain and England Rugby International,complete with battle scars from the previous days game against Newcastle Falcons!

I fully realise that they aren't brilliant,but at least I managed to do something with them.
    Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2018, 21:39.

Re: Leicester 10k race yesterday

Quite honestly they are no more than snap shots that you could have got with a mobile phone.
    The Press like the dramatic shots, I'm sure Paul will agree. An event such as that you have to plan it - know the locations you plan to be at various stages, have a story board in your head to work too - the shots you need such as.
    W/A of the mass of runners at the start. Spectators at the start and on route especially any that stand out in the crowd. Shots of runners on route. CU shots of the agony and sweat on their faces. Anybody that's gone down crawling in the gutter through sheer exhaustion. Shots of the winner as he/she comes in at the finish. Shots of the jubilation of runners as they finish. Anything you spot that's outrageous. These are the sort of shots the press love. Where was your 'PR Chap' what was his brief to you - why did you not get the shots if you had a Press Pass, it was you who said you work best under pressure, and pressure these sort of events are.
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Well I know now that my photography isn't good enough for that sort of event,but the only way I could find out was by trying it.

I've already emailed the organisers saying I won't be back next year,or if I do it will be in a marshalling capacity. And these shots weren't intended for the press.

On a personal note I gained something by chatting to the club captain of the team I've supported for over 40 years and I'm happy with that.

Yes I like pressure,but that was just too much for me,so I'll stick to taking shots for me,not a PR set-up.
      Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2018, 23:16.

Comment

" why did you not get the shots if you had a Press Pass,"

In case it had escaped your notice it was my first time at an event like this,my"PR chap"as you put it just had a quick word before dashing off on race organising stuff.

And please do enlighten me as to to how I was supposed to get shots on the route(of 10 kilometers)when(A )I don't have transport(B)all the roads of the route were closed off,and(C)the bulk of runners were back in just over 30 minutes?The Mercury freelancer told me he had colleagues standing at various points.

To be honest Trev your personal sniping at me whenever you get the chance-as witnessed by your comments on my zoo trip-are becoming rather tedious.I've had the camera for just four months,I'm on this forum to be amongst fellow Canon owners,and I've by and large had lots of good advice when I've asked for it,and because of that I'll keep asking questions when advice is needed.

You seem to assume that you know how I think and do things,but you are so wrong.

Yes,I messed up at the race and I openly admit it.After submitting the 5 images as requested yesterday,I've been invited back,but have politely declined.
        Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2018, 00:48.

Comment

I say no more
          Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I am a regular contributor to this site, mainly for advice, out of all the comments I get I take most notice & learn more from Trev’s comments. As for “personal sniping” what a load of rubbish. Time & time again you have been told not to concentrate on individual events, but just get out there & take shots, just as a way of learning, you just seem to ignore them & throw away your dummy because you are not receiving the praise you expected. Then you take items down because things are not going your way. Either take the advice ( good or bad) that is given by some wonderful photographers or don’t post, it’s called growing up.

Comment

Roy for your first one I applaud you, It has to be a nerve wracking experience, I would suggest you have a look at the ones posted by those "Pro's" and look at the locations they have used to get their shots and their images, and work from that. They obviously are making money from those shots, so emulating them is giving you both the confidence to do it and the skills as well.
              I can totally understand the need for more than one photographer, is there not places on the course where they come close to one another?

For the finish, I would have tried to get some shots, from on the track past the finish post but looking back down it past the winning post, so you get a sense of the amount of contestants and it will give you more impact, possibly from a low angle and using a telephoto to compress the distance as well.

I wouldn't burn your bridges for next year, simply practice practice practice.. Don't get disheartened, you are improving by leaps and bounds, Keep at it mate, four months in and you have had an event under your belt, imagine another 12 months, they obviously see something in you, so reconsider and try again, we all make mistakes and we all learn from them, NO ONE is perfect. STICK WITH IT.
              Last edited by TonyT; 11-09-2018, 09:45.
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks Tony,that's done my confidence no end of good.

I linked my Flickr album of the event to the organisers and they liked them,so yes,I'll go back next year..it's held on Abbey Park..and yes I'll take note of what Trev said regarding the shots to look out for.I'll do what I'm getting good at now,candids.

I fouled up this time,so next year I'll stick with the camera settings that I'm used to so I can get on with shooting without worrying too much about the settings.And I'll make more use of my 55-250 next time too.

Thanks again.

Comment

Well done, Roy for getting some shots out what seemed like a difficult day. I still consider my self a newbie having had a DSLR for a little over two years and still try to learn something in every trip out.

I realise that the shots posted are just some that you "salvaged" but they are a good start. #1 is the pick for me. I think I might have cropped some off the bottom to reduce the amount of tarmac which is just dead space and would bring the runners more to the fore. If you'd managed to captured the guy in blue's face in close-up that would really have epitomised the end of a 10k race, I reckon!

The shot of Tom Youngs is nice & sharp but was there no point at which he was looking towards you? Or even just a bit less away? Next time, shout or make a noise so people look in your direction. You may get some funny looks but you might get a better pose

Anyway, keep at it. At others have said, practice, practice, practice. And then practice some more!
                  Chris
                  80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks Chris,I actually took two of Tom Youngs right at the start when he posed for me,but they were more for a memento than anything else,with him being club captain of my rugby team.

I'll go back next year and aim to do much better.
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-09-2018, 10:56.

Comment

IMG_0263 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr

Any better now it's cropped?

Comment

Big improvement in my view
                        Chris
                        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Thanks,I may even rent a 100-400 lens for the race next year,and see if the organisers will go halves on the cost.

Comment

For your first time, they are ok...but they are snapshots...but we all start somewhere, and I'm still taking them! I remember my first sports event, I didn't have a clue...still don't! But the only way to improve is keep at it...if event photography is what you want to do, go to all the local ones you can, look at the pro photos...what are they shooting...Trevor gave some really good advice, and I didn't read it as sniping....it's you that have read it like that...which is easy to do when it's your photos...but honesty is best...there is no point someone with Trevor's experience saying they're great, when they're not...the photos look sharp and well exposed, so you have the basics...so get out there and work on composition, once you nail the first shot...you'll see it...that "oh....now I get it" moment...happens to us all! So take the comments as they're meant, constructive criticism, take it on the chin, and go improve! And keep posting.

Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by supergeeman; 12-09-2018, 10:29.

Comment

Thanks for that,I'll be going to the race next year,but in the meantime I'll just carry on taking shots for me and not for any organisation etc.

I'll carry on posting on here though.Trev and I have been in contact via PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X