MPB advertEOS magazine advert
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leicester 10k race yesterday

Default Re: Leicester 10k race yesterday

IMG_0263 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr

Any better now it's cropped?
    Roy

550D/EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM/Speedlite 430EX II/Stofen diffuser
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/knighthawk999/

Member*

Big improvement in my view
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Thanks,I may even rent a 100-400 lens for the race next year,and see if the organisers will go halves on the cost.
    Roy

550D/EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM/Speedlite 430EX II/Stofen diffuser

For your first time, they are ok...but they are snapshots...but we all start somewhere, and I'm still taking them! I remember my first sports event, I didn't have a clue...still don't! But the only way to improve is keep at it...if event photography is what you want to do, go to all the local ones you can, look at the pro photos...what are they shooting...Trevor gave some really good advice, and I didn't read it as sniping....it's you that have read it like that...which is easy to do when it's your photos...but honesty is best...there is no point someone with Trevor's experience saying they're great, when they're not...the photos look sharp and well exposed, so you have the basics...so get out there and work on composition, once you nail the first shot...you'll see it...that "oh....now I get it" moment...happens to us all! So take the comments as they're meant, constructive criticism, take it on the chin, and go improve! And keep posting.

Sent from my Mate 10 Pro using Tapatalk
    Last edited by supergeeman; 12-09-2018 at 10:29.

Thanks for that,I'll be going to the race next year,but in the meantime I'll just carry on taking shots for me and not for any organisation etc.

I'll carry on posting on here though.Trev and I have been in contact via PM.
    Roy

Member*

Doing a shoot as a "pro" is tough. The thing is you just HAVE to get the shots, no matter what. That's really what separates amateurs from pros (apart from the whole sales thing!) - many amateurs are actually far better photographers, but as an amateur, if you have an off day and don't get anything, it just doesn't matter. To improve your chances of always getting the shot, you have to be completely familiar and comfortable with your gear (which makes renting not a brilliant option if you can avoid it), and know exactly what you're doing. And that means practice. There are parkruns most weeks, go and take your camera. If you're going to watch Tigers, take your camera. Use it as much as you possibly can until everything you need to do is second nature - it makes it so much easier when you're under pressure, even if you're tired, because all you need to focus on (sorry!) is composition. Make sure you get the simple shots before trying anything fancy - you're after good record shots, not competition winners. Try for uncluttered backgrounds where possible. Don't be afraid to use fairly high ISOs to get decent depth of field if you're capturing multiple people like this, and still freeze the action. When you have some of them, you can play around with shallow depth of field, slow shutter speeds, but above all, try to get a few interesting facial expressions up close - both first and second runners in this shot would be great on their own.
    The more you do it, the easier it gets.
    Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Thanks all duly noted.
    Roy

My next day out is to Malvern Autumn Show in 2 weeks time..I went last year and am familiar with it all.

All shots will be just for me and a good chance to try various settings and not be under any pressure this time.
    Roy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12