Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Affinity Photo Fringing

Hi guys,

Please see below, two enlarged RAW images taken with a Canon 60D Mkii.

The top image has been opened in Affinity Photo and shows significant purple fringing on the boat mast on the right-hand side of the image. The bottom image has been opened in Canon Digital Photo Professional 4 and show no fringing whatsoever.

Why is there fringing on the Affinity image?

Best regards,

Charles

Affinity.jpg

Digital Photo Professional 4.jpg

Re: Affinity Photo Fringing

A complete guess but I suspect it's simply down to the fact that Affinity doesn't have as good algorithms as DPP for RAW processing. Does the fringing disappear after you've clicked on 'Develop' and does the defringing option in Affinity reduce it at all?

FWIW, I almost always process the RAW file in DPP and convert to TIFF if I want to do any additional PP in Affinity.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

If on your camera you have set Lens Aberration Correction/Chromatic Aberration/Enable, DPP automatically applies that correction to the RAW image when it is opened. Other camera settings such as Picture Style are also applied.Any software not specific to Canon will not do so. So DPP will automatically correct for chromatic aberration for the particular lens, assuming it's a Canon lens.
      I think that's correct.
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I do all my Raw files in DPP the best free software ever

Paul
        EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
        Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Hi Richard, that makes sense, I will check with the camera settings turned off and on, although there appears to be more fringing than I would have expected with that particular lens (EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM). Also if I try to correct using "fringe aberration" in Affinity it simply does nothing. Affinity support have not been quick to suggest anything.

Comment

Working...
          X