Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Churchill in Parliament Square

IMG_3861b by Gavin Rankin, on Flickr
    Any or all comments, criticism or help to improve much appreciated.
    Gavin

Re: Churchill in Parliament Square

Well this is OK as a record of what the statue looks like- it's sharp and the blacks nicely exposed- but there it ends for me.

He would be better if he had some space around him- more plinth to give us an idea of ground level, more head room and perhaps more on the left to show us what he's looking at.

And then if you wanted to elevate this from what my husband calls a "so-what?" shot into a more memorable photograph there should be something to make it stand out from all the other record shots - a pigeon parked on his head, a little girl gazing up at him, for example

Obviously I have now moved the goalposts, possibly away from what you wanted to achieve but this is what occurs to me. And trust me I've taken lots of "so-what? "shots and they are the ones I'm grumpy with myself about when I get back home and look at my efforts!
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Yes the iconic statue of the great man.....and the image is in colour though the scene is almost black and white. Obviously angle is limited at the location.
      I’d perhaps jaz it up a bit for impact with more clarity and maybe a vignette....or change the colour temperature- just a suggestion - hope you don’t mind.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
        Well this is OK as a record of what the statue looks like- it's sharp and the blacks nicely exposed- but there it ends for me.

He would be better if he had some space around him- more plinth to give us an idea of ground level, more head room and perhaps more on the left to show us what he's looking at.

And then if you wanted to elevate this from what my husband calls a "so-what?" shot into a more memorable photograph there should be something to make it stand out from all the other record shots - a pigeon parked on his head, a little girl gazing up at him, for example

Obviously I have now moved the goalposts, possibly away from what you wanted to achieve but this is what occurs to me. And trust me I've taken lots of "so-what? "shots and they are the ones I'm grumpy with myself about when I get back home and look at my efforts!
        Thank you for your detailed comments; I fully appreciate what you have said.
        This was a tiny part of the original image which included so many tourists milling around which (I thought) would have made the whole thing messy so I decided to get rid of them by cropping all the ground level stuff out.
        I did actually remove a lot of bird poo from his head (not literally) but unfortunately the offending bird had flown!
        My main object at the moment is to try to get reasonably sharp images as for many years I suffered from camera shake and didn't realise it was all my fault so "it's sharp and the blacks nicely exposed" gives me hope for the future
        Thank you
        Gavin

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
          Yes the iconic statue of the great man.....and the image is in colour though the scene is almost black and white. Obviously angle is limited at the location.
          I’d perhaps jaz it up a bit for impact with more clarity and maybe a vignette....or change the colour temperature- just a suggestion - hope you don’t mind.
          Thank you Brian
          I'm still on a very big learning curve having spent many years taking mediocre snaps rather than serious images; but your comments are very helpful to me.
          I will try to do better - again!
          Gavin

Comment

IMG_3861 by Gavin Rankin, on Flickr
            This was the original from which the above was taken.
            Gavin

Comment

I can see your problem with such a busy scene. Hard to know how best to get a decent image of the great man but sometimes changing your viewpoint and being creative in your angles can help. Plus a bit of patience for a gap in people

Looking at the image on flickr your exif data is fine. A too-slow shutter speed is most often the cause of what you call camera shake.

So yes some positives to be taken from the image. Keep going - we are all on the learning curve!
              Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Thank you for your encouragement.
                Gavin

Comment

Don’t you just love it when constructive criticism is given and it as accepted as such & we all can learn something to advance our photography. I the same as Gavin would have thought that was a well acceptable shot, sharp, textured & showing the statue off. But now I can see how that shot would be improved with just a few simple moves. Always learning. Thanks Gavin.

Comment

All I say is - Pity we can't bring the man back to sort this messed up country of ours out
                    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Working...
                    X