Lighter weight combination.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighter weight combination.

I'm currently using EOS5D2 and 24-105L and I'm finding more of a chore than a pleasure due to the weight. Although I have no plans to get rid of this combo, I'm looking for something lighter as a general 'carry around'. After some research I'm considering the EOS77D and Sigma 18-200 or 18-250. Both lenses seem to get better reviews than most of their opposition, and the camera seems to have the benefits of retaining controllability (is that even a word?) and being a comparatively new release. I'd appreciate thoughts from anybody using any of these items. I had also considered the M5 but I simply don't like digital viewfinders.
    I'm not concerned about moving down from 'full-frame' to APS-C.

Re: Lighter weight combination.

I have a 200D set up alongside my 5D3 and I have no concerns in terms of output quality of either which I think has more to do with lens choice. I suspect different manufacturers lenses have different characteristics .... but all produce good quality results. Personally I like the Canon lenses. The 200D doesn’t process images and display on the screen for review anything like as fast as the 5D3....I dont know about the 77D. A superzoom is likely to be compromising of course. To go lighter why not consider some of the primes then you have faster lenses which are small and light
    My kit is listed below as reference....
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I agree with Brian about the 200d, since I bought mine I use it the vast majority of the time, in spite of having several bodies to choose from, and I have easily as much control as I need. Incidentally, if you like to use jpeg sometimes rather than having to process RAW every time, on any of the newer bodies set Picture Style to Fine Detail. With that and reasonably low ISO (800 or less) I find most normal subjects come out very well and there's very little (if any) improvement can be made on the RAW file.

Haven't used any superzoom lens, but it's clear from reviews that the latest Sigma 18 - 200 C (Contemporary) is the best, don't make the mistake of getting one of the earlier models (Sigma have made several 18 - 200 models over the years). The limitations of all superzooms are mainly towards the edge of the image at longer focal lengths, centrally they are pretty good and the edges are still reasonable at the shorter focal lengths.
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I do want to have a single multi-purpose lens so, although I accept the quality argument for using primes, having to carry additional lenses defeats the object when attempting to reduce the weight I'm carrying around.

Comment

You could save yourself some money by getting one of these (or the right hand version).

I can literally walk around all day with a 5D4 and battery pack with a 24-105 attached on my shoulder with no fatigue at all. The 'left hand' version rests on my right shoulder with the camera and lens (sometimes with a flashgun as well) on my left hip..Although expensive for a strap, it's a lot cheaper than a change of camera!

Comment

The simple reality is that I am finding the weight a problem and a different strap isn't going to change that, but thanks for the suggestion. I already use an Optech strap which did the job for a long time, but no longer.

Comment

Accepting what you say about keeping weight down I carry the 200d with either the 10-18, 18-55 and 55-250 all stm version in a small bag that a 5D3 and 24-105 would fill....and it’s still lighter ( though I’ve not checked the weights) alternatively 24mm, 35mm macro, 50 f1.8 STM and 85 USM if using primes...a very light set up ...and the STM lenses are very good value. With a superzoom you loose opportunities for shallow DOF with F4.5 wide open...the 50 f1.8 is less than £100 and the 85 f1.8 about twice that.
              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

I don't think you will find much lighter than what you already got. I use the Blackrapid Straps and can agree fully with Greeclan
                Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

The combo I'm looking at is actually about 1 1/2 lb lighter. Doesn't sound much but does make a difference for me I promise you.

Comment

I think your choice is good. The 77d has basically almost all of the features of the 80d and is much lighter, and the 80d is itself lighter than the 5d2. The superzoom lenses have been much improved over recent years, the image quality is far better than anyone could have dreamed of a few years ago. But I would definitely stick to the 18 - 200 Contemporary, it's a later design than the 18 - 250 and appears better in all respects. Plus it weighs 430 grams versus 630 for the 18 - 250.
                    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

If you do go for the Sigma 18-200mm option, make sure you get one of the newer ones. My wife has had one for some time but stopped using it when she compered the output to that from the 24mm and 40mm as it was awful.
                      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

When I can't be bothered to carry my full kit I 'make do' with my old 20D, 18-270 VC Tamron and 10-20mm Sigma. All fits into a small Lowepro bag and is far less weighty. Sometimes i even forego the 10-20mm as well.
                        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks for all the input everybody. I've bitten the bullet and gone for the 77d and Sigma 18-200 combo. The lens is the 'C' series so thanks for the heads up on that Andy M. Haven't yet had the chance to try it out but it really is much lighter and the handgrip is superb, at least for my size of hand. Fingers curl right round. What did make me chuckle was to download the full user guide and discover it's over 500 pages. That is just the English language version, not multiple languages. Canon want 20 quid for the hard copy and I've managed to find one for a fiver on fleabay.

Comment

The other option if your are finding your gear a bit heavy to carry around, is suggest to the wife that she carries it for you. I did mention the idea to mine, the reply was something on the lines of "if you think I'm following you around dragging half a camera shop with me, you know .........????????????????????????"
                            Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Nice idea Trev B. The snag is that my missus already has her own gear to carry If there was a decent market for film gear I could start my own shop too. 'Inherited' all my brother's kit when he died and much of that goes back to the 60's and 70's when we had real cameras where you had to focus and meter for yourself. Them woz the days.

Comment

Working...
                              X