Red Arrows Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Arrows Question

We have a display by the Red Arrows this Tuesday, they will be performing off the coast of Menorca.

I have been invited onto a boat for the event so even allowing for restrictions in where we are allowed to anchor I guess I’ll be reasonably close. Hopefully even though I’m at sea level I will not be shooting totally upwards all the time as the display time is 1.30 and the day is forecast to be sunny.

I will use the 100-400 L mk2 but have the choice of the 80d or 5d mk4. Usually the long lens lives on the 80d for BIF etc but would the FF be better on this occasion ?

Any other tips and comments would be gratefully received!
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Re: Red Arrows Question

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
    I have been invited onto a boat for the event so even allowing for restrictions in where we are allowed to anchor I guess I’ll be reasonably close. Hopefully even though I’m at sea level I will not be shooting totally upwards all the time as the display time is 1.30 and the day is forecast to be sunny.
    You may not be, Most Red Arrow displays are programmed to provide for shore based spectators, you could find that you are pushed well outside their safety area. I know of someone who did just that at a local display near to me, and decided in the end he would have got better shots from the shore. After several incidents in recent years safety is very much at the forefront of their displays. Things may be different however where you are to. BTW I would use the 5D/4 plus the 100/400 - Best of luck
    Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

But that is applying UK limits post Shoreham Trev, I don't know if it will differ for the RAF abroad.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I don't know if it will differ for the RAF abroad.
        I guess that new regulations are international - or if not then the RA would not want to be found wanting.

Previous displays have been over the harbour & although boat traffic was limited for the duration it is a built up area on either side, so to have the display off the coast is a marked change.

Yesterday I went out to take pictures of incoming aircraft with both the 80d and the 5d4.

The focusing on the 5d seemed much snappier and with more MP to play with on the FF should I want to pull the shot in in PP I guess this trumps it over the extra reach of the crop camera......? Was this your reasoning Trevor?

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
          Was this your reasoning Trevor?
          Yes. Another thing he mentioned, it was somewhat choppy and he found that a bit of a problem - I don't know if he meant photographic or with his stomach!
          Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

it was somewhat choppy and he found that a bit of a problem
            Well, that will test the focusing skills of both me and camera !

Comment

I would say that light is going to be you're biggest problem. I've not had any problems with focus shooting at the Weston-Super-Mare air fair, either with my 7D2 or Fuji X-Pro2, but the sun will be high in the sky which probably means the light will be dreadful

In that case I would say you want to be somewhat away from the line they fly through so you can shoot at a lower angle. Too close to the line and you will be shooting closer to vertical and into the sun.
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Hi Andy

Thank you, I take your comments on board. The timing isn't great and Stan made that point recently when he posted a RA shot from a lunchtime display. Hopefully we can park the boat optimally so we're not facing a great ball of fire!

However the latest forecast shows possibilities of thunderstorms all day. This is Menorca where weather can ignore all predictions but we could either have clouds, bright sun and blue skies, or no show at all if there's lightning !!

Comment

It's annoying all round trying to shoot at air shows. Either it throws it down with rain and you get soaked or the sun us out and you get washed-out shots with low contrast. You can't win
                  EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I tend to use spot exposure or central weighted so it sets the light for the aircraft., I also have of late been using a polariser as well to bring out the colours of the aircraft and sky, as they are jets, keep your shutter speeds up, 1/500 plus, piston stuff I use about 1/320 to achieve prop blur.
                    I myself tend to use manual, set aperture and speeds then auto ISO and correct on aperture to bring them the ISO into range. Just think of them as fast moving birds and you won't go much wrong. :) I would go with Trevs recommendation.

And for gawd sake avoid directly looking at the sun through the camera etc.

BTW I would use the 5D/4 plus the 100/400 - Best of luck
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

All I can add is that the 5D3 and 100-400MkI was adequate at Cosford last year....I didn’t find I needed more reach. If using the 80D the focussing capability might limit you to keeping the lens wide open whereas the 5D4 is supposed to be good for f8...so better dof
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks for your comments and advice chaps, some I didn't see until after I returned home.

I took the 5d4 and 100-400. The boat left in a thunderstorm and with rain lashing down! Totally soaked, but kit stowed under cover

We arrived at the site twenty minutes before k.o. and until we heard the engines at the airport we were by no means certain that there would be a display. Cometh the hour there was cloud and strong drizzle with poor visability but after about 10 minutes it at least stopped raining but stayed dull.

An hour later the sun was shining.... that's Menorca for you.

Took over 400 shots, some with boat rocking as the RA air pressure gave a wash when they passed overhead. Having a preliminary whittle down and will post some shots tomorrow - think there are a few goodies in there considering the conditions !

Comment

Give your gear a wipe down too, as you were in a Salt ladened atmosphere.

Comment

Too late to the party to offer anything but am looking forward to seeing your results

Paul

Comment

Working...
                            X