Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small entrance to a big school

IMG_3847b by Gavin Rankin, on Flickr
    All helpful comments gratefully received.

Re: Small entrance to a big school

It's a nice subject Gavin - to my mind it would be improved if you had been able to shoot a little wider or from slightly further away. This would have allowed you to fit in the top and both sides of the gate archway in their entirety - truncated features are always a distraction in an image. I also think that the verticals need a little work, though I recognise that nothing in an old building is ever truly upright, square or level (I live in one, believe me I know!). Having the sides of the main opening upright would be good, though I suspect that this would make the large wooden door look even more wonky (which it probably is).

There are also those who would advise you to have a go at cloning out the white sign, but that is a matter of taste for you to judge. Alternatively, you could go back and move the sign out of sight while you take your shot and then replace it - I have done this more than once.
    Last edited by John Liddle; 18-09-2018, 10:07.
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Agree with the above, but there is some nice texture in the shot.

Also, I see you used f18 (huge DoF not needed in this shot), I would drop that down to f8 to up the shutter speed by a stop / and iso down as much as possible.
      Regards
      Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
      7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
      24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
        It's a nice subject Gavin - to my mind it would be improved if you had been able to shoot a little wider or from slightly further away. This would have allowed you to fit in the top and both sides of the gate archway in their entirety - truncated features are always a distraction in an image. I also think that the verticals need a little work, though I recognise that nothing in an old building is ever truly upright, square or level (I live in one, believe me I know!). Having the sides of the main opening upright would be good, though I suspect that this would make the large wooden door look even more wonky (which it probably is).

There are also those who would advise you to have a go at cloning out the white sign, but that is a matter of taste for you to judge. Alternatively, you could go back and move the sign out of sight while you take your shot and then replace it - I have done this more than once.
        Thank you John, All noted and very helpful.

Gavin

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Man View Post
          Agree with the above, but there is some nice texture in the shot.

Also, I see you used f18 (huge DoF not needed in this shot), I would drop that down to f8 to up the shutter speed by a stop / and iso down as much as possible.
          Not quite sure why it was at f18 !! Maybe I had slipped back into snapshot mode?

I'm trying to do everything manually now but quite often forget to check everything, but thank you for looking and for your comments.

Gavin

Comment

I agree with John's comments, it would have been nicer to have got more surround in and without the white sign I think it would be a really nice image (cloning it out would be beyond me, I'd have had to have shifted it); a doorway and door within a doorway and as Lez said there are some great textures in there. The other thought I had was that I feel you are looking slightly down on the image, which hasn't helped the verticals, I think in this case crouching a little to the level of, say, the 'To Westminster School...' sign would have given a slightly better point of view. Or even crouch right down and get the view of a little school child looking up at the ancient imposing doorway for the first time, but now I'm getting fanciful...
            But my final point is that I hope you have some other views of this that you can use in the current Challenge, which is all about doors and windows.
            Canon EOS 7D
            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
              ...... (cloning it out would be beyond me, I'd have had to have shifted it)
              Don't undersell yourself Alex - If I can manage this in 15 minutes, so can you!

30877861418_7378168dd5_c-2.jpg
              John Liddle

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
                Don't undersell yourself Alex - If I can manage this in 15 minutes, so can you!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16537[/ATTACH]
                Suddenly it's not private any more - I like that - not sure how to go about it though.

Gavin

Comment

That's an excellent bit of editing, John.
                  What software do you have Gavin? I tend to mostly use the clone tool in Lightroom but for this I might have gone to Photoshop Elements.
                  Canon EOS 7D
                  EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                  Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                  flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by Rankin View Post
                    Suddenly it's not private any more - I like that - not sure how to go about it though.

Gavin
                    Gavin - it is not too difficult, but the pre-requisite is a photo editing program with a "clone stamp" feature.

Some programs offer an intelligent "Fill" function, but I am not sure that they would work satisfactorily in a situation like this.

The basic method is to select areas you want to clone from the parts of the image not covered by the object and stamp them onto the offending part of the image in such a way that you cover the object with something that looks as though it is what you would see if the object were removed (I hope that is not too convoluted).

As an example. if you look at the left hand side of the recangular sign, you can see, above and below it, the corner edge of the stone archway of the inner door. If the sign were absent, you would see the whole length of the corner. So, you clone a small area above the sign which has nothing but the stone corner in it and you stamp it over the top of the sign (being careful to align any linear features, such as the corner itself), working your way down the sign, overlapping the stamped areas if necessary. You can do something similar coming up from the bottom of the sign.

In this way, by carefully selecting the cloned areas, sometimes from a distance away from the area of interest if you can clone a bit of image which fits nicely, you can make a passable job of eliminating the sign.

This technique can be particularly successful in images such as yours, where no-one is going to expect the shape and colour of the stones to be universally uniform, thus giving a bit of leeway in the correction.

Below is a partial stage, which probably explains it better than all my wittering above.

30877861418_7378168dd5_c-03.jpg
                    John Liddle

Comment

Thank you so much John.
                      This is obviously learning liddle by liddle!
                      I shall have a go and hopefully get it right on a future image.
                      Many thanks again.
                      Gavin

Comment

You are welcome Gavin - good luck (practise makes less imperfect).

I should have said that I used Photo Shop for the edits.
                        John Liddle

Comment

Working...
                        X