Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 P-Mode,yes or no? - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P-Mode,yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P-Mode,yes or no?

Following my recent"disasters" with the wrong settings at the 10k race,where 99% of my shots were barely salvageable,I've decided to use P-mode for most of my day out at the Malvern Festival in just over a week from now.

The idea is that I won't need to concentrate so much on the settings,but still retain some control if needed.So,just a simple yes or no please to "is P-mode good or bad"

My shots will be a mixture of outside and in,probably 60/40 in favour of outside.I'm taking a 100-400 L Mk1 with me for candids and close-ups and know to have it on at least f8.But most of the time I'll be using my two normal lenses.

I'll also have my flash and Stofen in my bag.
    Last edited by Guest; 20-09-2018, 00:27.

Re: P-Mode,yes or no?

The P mode will allow you to focus on composition and is Ok to use as you learn the camera. However to unlock the ability of the camera up I need to move towards manual mode, but you won’t get there without practice. So a Yes for me on the P mode, but don’t stay there.

Tom

Comment

We often overlook the automatic capabilities...and I'm often surprised how capable they are when I switch out of manual....so yes ….simple answer is use P.

Keep it simple and try new tricks when the results don't matter.

By the way there is a good argument to not use a Stofen (diffuser on the flash)…..the reasoning is that the only way to soften light is increase the size of the light source. Hence overcast day where the light source is a mass of clouded sky provides soft light whereas a clear sky reveals a small point source of light (the sun appears small in the clear sky) and gives contrasty results. The stofen also reduces power output also.....I went on a wedding course and it was recommended to either use a softbox or direct flash.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

P mode is a good starting point when you are "learning to walk", taking control of the exposure by means of setting the aperture and shutter speed automatically while still giving you some options to "tweak" rather than using auto mode where the camera decides everything

Quite a useful article here you may find of use
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Roy, I echo Stan's comment. The main thing now is don't start worrying about everything for the next week. Just look forward to it, get some early nights and I'm sure everything will work out fine.
          Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Rather than wait for the event, why not get out and take lots of shots beforehand. If you're going to try and aim for f8, you might as well set it to f8 and use Av mode rather than P. Take shots of the same subject at different f settings and find out the difference it makes. Try different speeds so you know how slow you can go before you get camera shake.
            When you put shots on the forum, display the settings, so people have the chance to say "i would have used a larger/smaller aperture, of different shutter speed" etc.

John

Comment

Thanks everyone,I'll use P mode.

John;I can't get out and take lots of shots prior to the event.My whole point in asking about P mode was to ensure that everything I shoot on the day turns out ok and isn't a disaster.They are intended to be just memories and not 'perfection'.

I have Exif enabled on my Flickr page,so the info is there for all to see.

Comment

I only use manual for flash. P is fine, so long as you check the settings - you can always use program shift if needed.
                Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Thanks Nick,from what I've read flash can be used with P mode,although I don't envisage many situations on the day where I'll be using flash,and if I do, it will be the occasional indoor shot.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nighthawk View Post
                    Thanks Nick,from what I've read flash can be used with P mode,although I don't envisage many situations on the day where I'll be using flash,and if I do, it will be the occasional indoor shot.
                    It can, of course. I'm talking really about macro flash or studio-type settings - for events and the like, P is perfect with flash.
                    Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Thanks Nick for clarifying that.

Comment

Originally posted by nickorando View Post
                        I only use manual for flash. P is fine, so long as you check the settings - you can always use program shift if needed.
                        I am not at all sure that program shift can be used in conjunction with flash in P mode - the use of flash puts some constraints on exposure times and this would not be compatible with free-ranging changes in aperture vs exposure time.
                        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
                        X