Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving point of focus on EOS M10? HELP :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving point of focus on EOS M10? HELP :)

Hi everyone - first post as in desparate need of an answer which neither manual nor Canon support will tell me!

I own an EOS M10 (https://www.canon.co.uk/cameras/eos-m10/)

I'm taking a photography course but one of the assignments for next week requires me to set up a composition with three objects in it at different distances, then take three pictures from the same place where the focus is only on one object to the left, one where the focus is in the middle and one on the right.

I can't work out how or if I can do this? On DSLRs you can often use a dial to move the area of focus. Naturally this being a compact I was hoping this was just buried in a menu (and it has an impressive array of DSLR-like features).

I believe I can use the touchscreen to do this (from some googling) but touching it simply seems to trigger the shutter, not move the focus point. Is this possible by any method?

The camera is currently set to: - Aperture Priority - AF operation: ONE-SHOT - AF method: 1-point AF - Continuous AF - OFF

Thank you!
    Last edited by CookieVonster; 21-09-2018, 12:46. Reason: Posted incomplete by accident!

Re: Moving point of focus on EOS M10? HELP :)

Firstly welcome to the forum

Secondly... I don't have a M series camera so can't offer advice on how to alter the point of focus or even if it's possible but, if you can keep the objects sufficiently distant from each other could you, perhaps, use different apertures to alter the depth of focus?

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
      Firstly welcome to the forum

...perhaps, use different apertures to alter the depth of focus?

Cheers,
      John
      This is a good idea - will see if I'm able to do this. Thanks. If anyone knows if I can move the point of focus please shout!

Comment

It's on page 72 of the manual, which can be downloaded here if you've not got a copy: https://www.canon.co.uk/support/cons...uals&language=
        Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Oh I don't know I missed this. THANK YOU much. Going to give it a test today for a photo class assignment!

Comment

Working...
          X