Red Arrows over Menorca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Arrows over Menorca

Finally sorted out some shots from last week...

Considering they started out in drizzle, half an hour after a thunderstorm, I was pleased to get some half-decent shots

Next time I will make sure I'm on terra firma rather than a rocking boat but it was quite special to be at sea level.

I shot in Av at f9 and +1 EC . With ISO800 this gave me a minimum of 1/1000 SS, most were at 1/1600 or more.

[IMG]IMG_7773 by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_7910 by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]IMG_8063 - CC by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG]IMG_8067 by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]
    IMG_8104 by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]

Few more on flickr
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Re: Red Arrows over Menorca

Great stuff Barbara - for me the third is the winner
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

You’ve got some good shots there Bo, my favourite is No.3 (possibly because I managed to get a similar shot a few years ago back in my pre-canon days).
      My preference for the first shot would be to have a tighter crop though, enough to contain the outer red smoke trail.

By the way there was an article in the newspaper the other day about a red arrows display in Menorca dedicated to a WW2 pilot and that they did a special figure (100). Was this the display you saw?

Ian
      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

despite the weather looks like they did a great display
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Cheers, chaps, thanks for stopping by.

Ian- good point about the first shot. I shot it in landscape as the corkscrew developed ...... but as a stand-alone picture a portrait aspect has much more impact

By the way there was an article in the newspaper the other day about a red arrows display in Menorca dedicated to a WW2 pilot and that they did a special figure (100). Was this the display you saw?
          Yes a lovely old boy called Maurice, who flew Hurricanes in WWll, and who still has all his marbles but is now a bit frail, was the guest of honour at a reception for the Arrows crew. There are some lovely pics of him surrounded by red-suited pilots. They drew a 100 in the sky but to be fair this year also celebrates 100 years of RAF

Comment

Ian, you are so right about the crop.-
            [IMG]IMG_7773 -po by Barbara Bett, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

Great set Barbara, like them all
              Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

A great set and I'm pleased you had decent weather. You were also well placed to capture them head on as getting the burst like 3 and 4 is special. Yes 3 is good as they're a tight group but 4 is far more dynamic so that's the pick of the bunch for me

Cheers,
                John

Comment

Excellent!
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

A great set - you did really well considering you were on an unsteady boat! I presume the weather conditions caused the wing vortices (if that's the right word) visible in #3 and #4. I don't think I've seen anything like that with the Red Arrows before.
                    Chris
                    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Chris- I’ve seen other images of the RA with the ?water trails but know nothing of these things.

Perhaps some of the plane buffs on here can assist!

Comment

I've just checked my similar shots and they are just visible but not to the same extent

Red Arrows by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
                        Chris
                        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Ok a wing is curved on the top and flat on the bottom, as the air passes over the wing, the air on the top has to travel faster than the air on the bottom to reach the back side of the wing, this reduces the pressure, so the wing is pushed up by the higher pressure underneath.....

However at the wing tip, the air travelling backwards also tries to loop over the tip into the lower pressure zone, this creates a vortice as it streams off the back of the tip (Swirling Air) this is bad because it creates drag, which means you burn more fuel to overcome it, modern airliners have bent up wingtips to reduce these vortices and save fuel.

Next bit borrowed from wiki to save me typing it out

The cores of vortices spin at very high speed and are regions of very low pressure. To first approximation, these low-pressure regions form with little exchange of heat with the neighboring regions (i.e., adiabatically), so the local temperature in the low-pressure regions drops, too. If it drops below the local dew point, there results a condensation of water vapor present in the cores of wingtip vortices, making them visible.

Those on top of the wing are similar.

BTW on a supersonic jet the engine runs subsonic, it produces shock waves in the intake to slow the air down and compress it, it this can also have the same effect, I hope you do not mind me posting this picture to explain, but I took this on a wet day when the Lightning was running at full chat.

Lightning intake compression by Tony Taylor, on Flickr
                          Last edited by TonyT; 26-09-2018, 13:44.
                          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Really good set, especially considering the conditions and your unstable platform

Paul

Comment

Lovely set Bo

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X