Luminar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luminar...

Following much encouragement to adopt Aurora HDR when it became available for Windows I did and also bought into Luminar.

At the time it was promised that Luminar 2018 would gain a Library module meaning a full switch from Lightroom could be made but we waited... we waited... and we waited. Recently Skylum announced that lots of groovy new features would be added to Luminar but to the forthcoming Luminar 2019 and those of us with Luminar 2018 would have to pay for the upgrade! Even at a promised (but not disclosed) discount this peeved many and, whether from this reaction or a genuine display of philanthropy I couldn't say but Skylum have just announced that the 2019 features - including Library - will be made to 2018 so the upgrade will be free. See < here >

Will it be any good? Will we be able to leave Lightroom? Who knows but as least we won't have to pay to put it to the test.

Incidentally Luminar is now only $59 including all the '2019' updates so perhaps worth a punt.

That just leaves the question of Aurora HDR updates Edit: just checked and as a registered 2018 user upgrading to 2019 is a mere £44 for me

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by ColytonJohn; 26-09-2018, 11:44.

Re: Luminar...

They've been promising the DAM/Library functionality coming soon since I bought the first release in Feb 2017. If they'd charged for that in a 2019 release rather than providing the functionality free of charge to 2018 purchasers they'd be cutting their own throats commercially - they've managed to get a pretty negative image in the community for over promising and then failing to deliver.

My experience of Luminar on a decent spec MBP was that it was sort of OK with Canon CR2 files but horribly slow with Fuji RAF files. I suspect a major part of their problem has been how quickly they can render a batch of images in a library view.

The subscription vs. purchase argument is an interesting one. I pay for Lightroom CC and the iPad version has improved dramatically since I started using it. Which my licence fee has paid for. But in order to get those improvements I would need to keep paying for the Luminar products each year, unless they include the new functionality as a point release. If I cancel my subscription I lose the use of the CC software but then if I stop buying Luminar upgrades, the product could become unusable - too many bugs, too slow, doesn't support my camera or the new version of Windows etc. A bit of a minefield...
    EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Working...
    X