Challenge 147 Abstract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 147 Abstract

Thanks to everyone who entered an image. Initially I thought there weren’t going to be many entries, but eventually the entries started to be posted. The choice of subjects across the eight entries was interesting to see.

Phasianus colchicus, John: The use of the diagonals, colour and lighting all work well in this image. Without the text associated with the image, I suspect the subject may have been difficult to determine which was the brief of the challenge.

Chandelier, AlexR: I do like the composition the natural light hitting the bottom right quadrant of the chandelier, it enhances the gold colour and to a certain extent the centre boss. I have looked at this image wondering if it would be possible to crop this to create a more abstract composition. One thought was to make a selection of the centre excluding the lighting arms and then a colour fill to surround the centre element of the chandelier.

If you go down to the woods today, David: A very illuminating image that I think needed something doing with it to create a more abstract image. One thing I did try with it was to flip it vertically. To an extent that did create a less recognizable subject.

Let there be Light Barbara: This image has confused my eyes since I first looked at it, so it hits the brief very well. My initial viewing was on my phone that made me think spectacle lenses with a kaleidoscope type twist to it. Having since looked at it on here and Flickr on a large screen I’m still at a loss to being able to accurately identify the subject matter, though I suspect it may be part of some lighting fitments.

Sand and Water, Stephen: I really like the area of transition between the light and dark areas of the image. It makes me wonder what caused the darker area. I can only think it was a natural element of some sort. The lower parts of the dark area remind me of satellite images of a river delta. I tried a square crop to retain just the top left corner of the image. That gave IMO a stronger more abstract image with the “delta” aspects on a diagonal.

Pencils, Chris: The removal of the colour from the image has made the subject less recognisable. The hexagonal edges combined with the circular pointed and ridged elements of the pencil leads works to add to the overall abstractness.

Holes, Nigel: This image is one in which the eye can be fooled. I see two versions; the first is a hole but then as I stare at it the holes become domes rather than a hole. The subject matter isn’t readily identifiable. I tried a crop with this to remove both the part circles at the edge and the blank (missing hole) area that gave to my eyes, a stronger more abstract image.

Autumn Wind, Ian: A very colourful image, created I suspect by deliberate in camera movement (ICM). Nature in abstract once again. I tried a square crop retaining just the top right of the image. This removed the majority of the grass from the image that made for a less recognisable subject.

On to my judging of the challenge the winning entries are as follows:-

3rd: Autumn Wind by Ian.
    2nd: Phasianus colchicus by John.
    1st: Let there be light Barbara.

Congratulations to the top three images and thanks again to everyone who took part in the challenge.

I shall look forward to seeing what subject Barbara chooses for the next challenge.
    Last edited by ST-EOS; 27-10-2018, 16:23.
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Re: Challenge 147 Abstract

Congratulations Bo and well done John. And thanks to Peter for setting such an interesting challenge and for the judging and comments.

You were correct Peter in your assumption, it was just my favourite amongst a raft that I took so I had a choice; I may well post a few of them out of interest.

Looking forward to your next challenge Bo.

Ian
      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Well done Bo, loved it. Thanks Peter a excellent analysis of my shot, I do learn so much from these constructive comments.
        No doubt Bo will set us a tricky subject for the next round.

Comment

Thanks Peter for a great subject which made me think outside of my comfort zone. Like Dave, these challenges really help me learn, especially with good critiques of all the shots, not just my own.

Well done to Bo (again!), Ian & John for excellent and worthy images.

Will await the next challenge!
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Congratulations to the winners!
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Peter for the challenge and the excellent analysis.

Congratulations to everyone. Look forward to the next challenge.
              Nigel
              EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

Well that's a surprise, there were some strong entrants in there.

Thanks for setting and judging Peter, and a big thumbs up to my fellow podium people

The subject is indeed a light source- a lamp shade I guess, it had several bulbs inside. It was in a shop opposite the interesting curvy building I was trying to photograph in abstract mode with Mr Bo saying "That's not abstract- it'll always be a building" So to shut him up I looked around and saw this.The annoying thing is that he was right..............!

I'll post a new challenge very soon
                Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Grateful thanls to Peter for setting and judging an interesting challenge - and congratulations to Barbara - a worthy winner.

I am pleasantly surprised by a 2nd place - it was a good field of entries.

I look forward to learning what task Barbara has set for us.
                  John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thanks for the great theme, Peter, and some really strong entries, particularly Bo and the other podium dwellers. Well done all.
                    Canon EOS 7D
                    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Working...
                    X