Sigma 60-600 S lens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigma 60-600 S lens

Who's seen the announcement by Sigma today of the 60-600 S lens? Looks interesting. Tried to do a link but it was rejected as probable spam.
    John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Re: Sigma 60-600 S lens

That looks interesting if as they seem to be saying, the same image quality as the 150-600S.
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

It will be interesting to see how it fairs

Brian
      ef-r

Comment

I tested the 150 - 600mm lenses after they came out. I was so impressed I bought one. The range on that one is pretty wide though so I would be concerned about quality through the range. I will have to see if I can get one for testing at some point. I would be gun shy about spending $2,000.00 US on a lens I am not sure about.
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/23748789@N02/

Comment

On the face of it, it's too large a range for a telephoto zoom. At 10x, that is a lot of design and manufacturing compromises that have to be made to achieve a reasonable performing lens. According to the reviewer: "that means fewer lens changes and if you were photographing an Elephant at 600mm and then it decided to charge at your Jeep to show it's dominance, you could still capture all the action". Not sure whether that would be during, or after you changed your underwear though!

Sigma's last dapple with 10x zoom was the 50 - 500mm, affectionately called the "Bigma". And that seemed to be where any affection ended. Talking to many owners and having used a friends for a while, I thought it was heavy, unwieldy, very slow and noisy with the auto focus and produced medium quality results. From memory, they nearly all migrated to the Canon 100-400mm and were delighted with the quality improvement and ease of use.

Whilst the 150mm - 600mm seems highly regarded (I haven't used one), if Sigma were aiming at the keen wildlife/sports/aircraft photographer, I would have thought that a 300mm - 600mm would be ideal. A practical zoom range for those genres, less compromises in design and manufacture, lighter than high zoom models, faster focussing and all that combined should produce a more user friendly, faster product. With that specification, it shouldn't be overly difficult to make a faster lens of f5.6, possibly even f4.5.

I am left wondering whether Sigma made this following solid Market Research, or they made it just because they could!
          Colin

Comment

Working...
          X