Sunset at Aberystwyth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunset at Aberystwyth

I'd welcome any feedback on this one...not sure how to get the best from it...I've dropped the highlights to reduce the flare of the sun and reveal its shape and size and saturated and brightened the sky....and lowered the blacks for the foreground.

_MG_0175 by brianvickers
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: Sunset at Aberystwyth

Colours are good and the saturation suits it well. If you intended it to be a silhouette then it works and the only suggestions I'd make would be to crop the left a bit to place the monument on a third and remove the CA.

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Do you know why you’re unhappy with it?

My initial thoughts as to why it does not quite work are to do with the composition rather than the processing but I suspect for you it is the other way round.

I like the processing as I see it but the monument is a bit big in the pic so I’m not sure if you want to emphasize the sunset or the statue. They are both fighting for my attention. I’d also tidy up extraneous flags and knobs.The sky is busy with con trails and clouds so I don’t want too much going on at sea level.

Just my thoughts. ......You did ask!!!
      Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

For me, my eye keeps being down to the monument as it is the largest in the frame. The Sunset is rather lovely and as Bo pointed out the processing is spot on, but the monument is the subject in this image IMO

Tom

Comment

Thanks for this...yes i wanted confirmation regarding processing....so thats good and yes i should take out the CA.
          Composition wise I think I've spoilt it by not allowing enough frame around the monument to allow for correcting verticals.....which I had to do as there was an obvious forward leaning....and distortion correction because the horizon was very curved....I used the 18-55STM and 200D....a better lens may have needed less correction but then I probably didn't pay enough attention to keeping the camera vertical.
          This is a great help...thanks again!
          Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

original
            _MG_0a176 by brianvickers

this would have been better but the sun is hidden
            _MG_0183 by brianvickers
            Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Yes, Brian, I agree with others that the processing is fine (once the CA is sorted), but in the first you need more space on the top. Your third one has the best composition for me, the sun being behind the statue doesn't particularly bother me.
              Canon EOS 7D
              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Many thanks Alex!
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Working...
                X