Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a decent small lightweight camera to supplement my 80D

Hello,

I am looking for a decent small lightweight camera to supplement my 80D, especially when I am travelling. I currently use a 24-105 lens with my 80D and I am looking for a similar range.

Now, the alternative camera needs to be smaller, lighter with a similar range but I need the quality to match the 80D and it needs to have a viewfinder, even if it is a EVF.

I have already looked at the PowerShot G1X mk III but it has a less range (3x). I have also looked at the PowerShot G5x, but it has quite a small sensor so I am not sure that it will deliver the quality I am expecting. I have heard a rumour that there maybe a G5x mk II, but it is just a rumour. I have not considered and Superzoom bridge cameras as I am not looking for the massive 25 to 65x lenses.

Can anyone share any experiences or views on what would be a good alternative to the 80D for my travel needs?

Many thanks

Mark Howells

Re: Looking for a decent small lightweight camera to supplement my 80D

Originally posted by Mark Howells View Post
    Hello,

I am looking for a decent small lightweight camera to supplement my 80D, especially when I am travelling. I currently use a 24-105 lens with my 80D and I am looking for a similar range.

Now, the alternative camera needs to be smaller, lighter with a similar range but I need the quality to match the 80D and it needs to have a viewfinder, even if it is a EVF.

I have already looked at the PowerShot G1X mk III but it has a less range (3x). I have also looked at the PowerShot G5x, but it has quite a small sensor so I am not sure that it will deliver the quality I am expecting. I have heard a rumour that there maybe a G5x mk II, but it is just a rumour. I have not considered and Superzoom bridge cameras as I am not looking for the massive 25 to 65x lenses.

Can anyone share any experiences or views on what would be a good alternative to the 80D for my travel needs?

Many thanks

Mark Howells
    Definitely consider the Canon M50. Or hold off to see if the MkII M5 is released soon

I do lots of walking holidays and the Canon M5 with EFS 18-135 using the adapter is and excellent travel combination

Comment

Also look at the 200d, with the 18 - 135 mm lens. It's as light as the M50 plus adapter, same sensor as the 80d, easy to use if you are used to the 80d controls. I use it far more than any of my other (numerous) bodies because of the combination of light weight and good quality.
      Wex, for example, has the 200d plus 18 - 135 mm lens for £769, cheaper than the compacts you mention, cheaper than an M series plus adapter.
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Let us know what you decide [emoji106]

Comment

I’m with Richard....200D is excellent and very small

200D is £339 and £239 for above lens at HDEW....or 18-55 for less than £100

As for quality of output I’m quite happy to show pictures from my 200D alongside my Full Frame cameras

If your tempted with mirrorless then I’d go for the M5
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by teslar View Post
            Definitely consider the Canon M50. Or hold off to see if the MkII M5 is released soon

I do lots of walking holidays and the Canon M5 with EFS 18-135 using the adapter is and excellent travel combination
            Can't argue with that, especially as if I stray off Canon products I'll get in trouble (although a m43 12-60 f2.8-4 would ... nah, forget it...)

Comment

Working...
            X