Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Flying buttresses at Lincoln Cathedral yesterday - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying buttresses at Lincoln Cathedral yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying buttresses at Lincoln Cathedral yesterday

IMG_0183 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr

A nice few hours in Lincoln yesterday,my first time there with a DSLR.I've always been fascinated with flying buttresses and how they work,courtesy of Fred Dibnah.

I learnt several things from the trip;Next time I go,to use a smaller aperture when shooting stained glass windows(f5.6 or wider just makes the details too fuzzy)and also to set a maximum of ISO 800(auto ISO) for internal shots instead of 1600,too noisy!

Could someone please explain why the wide apertures didn't work with the stained glass shots?
    Last edited by Guest; 13-10-2018, 19:55.

Re: Flying buttresses at Lincoln Cathedral yesterday

Other than wider apertures result in narrow depth of field I can’t think why that would be, if your focal plane is parallel to the window the dof needed is quite small...but looking up at an angle will require a greater dof.
    To counter noise try overexposing...and then reduce brightness in post processing....
    Providing that highlights are not blown you will get less noise.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks for that Brian,most of the stained glass ones were taken looking up,yet three I took in a side chapel were close up and parallel.,they turned out ok.

This was taken in the side chapel
      IMG_0209-2 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr
      Last edited by Guest; 13-10-2018, 23:40.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nighthawk View Post
        Thanks for that Brian,most of the stained glass ones were taken looking up,yet three I took in a side chapel were close up and parallel.,they turned out ok.
        So thinking about the depth of field and applying my schoolboy geometry - I'm guessing loads of these numbers but you could apply the logic to your situation if you wish.
        Assuming you were 5m from the window, and pointing up, say the bottom of the window is 2m above your camera, pythagoras tells you that the distance to the bottom of the window is the square root of those two distances squared and added together, i.e. the square root of (5x5) plus (2x2), so square root of 29 which is 5.4m.
        And if the window is 4m tall, the distance to the top of the window is the square root of (5x5) plus (6x6), so square root of 61 which is 7.8m.
        So you need a depth of field of at least 7.8-5.4 = 2.4m.
        An APC camera set at 55mm (as your last image is at) at f/5.6 focused at 6m away has a dof of 2.7m (sharp from 4.95m to 7.61m) so you might just get away with it if you focus in exactly the right place. But going to f/8 would have increased the dof to 3.9m (sharp from 4.62m to 8.56m) so you should be much safer. All assuming you have enough light, of course.
        Probably a huge oversimplification of the issues but hope that helps.
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks Alex,unfortunately maths is a mystery to me,so when I next visit the cathedral,I'll use f8 and above for the larger stained glass windows,and also make more use of my 55-250 to pick out individual panels.

Edited to add,I'm hoping to buy a 120-400mm lens over Christmas,which will give me even more options.

Comment

Working...
          X