The Canon eosR unboxed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Canon eosR unboxed

Well yesterday was a wipeout weather wise. It poured of rain all day so I never for the time to test the camera. I decided to have some fun and posted this

Re: The Canon eosR unboxed

Nice Video!
    Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

Interesting blog https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/201...orless-camera/ probably very wise not risking any rain on the R

Comment

Have been playing with mine and see that it came set with a 2 second image preview after shooting, which appears on either the back screen or the viewfinder - and it still tries to do this when you are trying to fire off a high speed sequence of shots, which means you can't see what you are aiming at. Have to say that I am finding my way round it fairly quickly, which is good, though struggled with the instructions for the WiFi upload of files to PC - which was critical as the lead provided didn't have PC sized USB plug, but something very small, and the socket on the camera is apparently so vulnerable that they provided a weird gadget to screw on to make sure you don'e strain the connector. Liking it though, but next step is to see if I can program the new menu bar - thinking it might be useful to have it set for explosure compensation as I like to shoot in manual mode with auto ISO.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Steve View Post
          Have been playing with mine and see that it came set with a 2 second image preview after shooting, which appears on either the back screen or the viewfinder - and it still tries to do this when you are trying to fire off a high speed sequence of shots, which means you can't see what you are aiming at. Have to say that I am finding my way round it fairly quickly, which is good, though struggled with the instructions for the WiFi upload of files to PC - which was critical as the lead provided didn't have PC sized USB plug, but something very small, and the socket on the camera is apparently so vulnerable that they provided a weird gadget to screw on to make sure you don'e strain the connector. Liking it though, but next step is to see if I can program the new menu bar - thinking it might be useful to have it set for explosure compensation as I like to shoot in manual mode with auto ISO.
          Never connected my cameras to my PC - much easier to use a card reader...
          Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

Originally posted by LesC2009 View Post
            Never connected my cameras to my PC - much easier to use a card reader...
            Good point. Forgot that there is that option, it sure saves some head scratching over WiFi settings, but no mechanical wear to SD contacts via WiFi - I tend to insert SD and leave well alone. Failed to figure out how to get exposure compensation on the new M-Fn bar, though its already available off the the M-Fn button. Looks like user customisation of the bar doesn't stretch that far, but not clear (to me) from looking at the manual (p564).

Comment

Originally posted by Cheshire Steve View Post
              Have been playing with mine and see that it came set with a 2 second image preview after shooting, which appears on either the back screen or the viewfinder - and it still tries to do this when you are trying to fire off a high speed sequence of shots, which means you can't see what you are aiming at.
              Shooting menu - Tab 1 - Image Review - select desired time or Off (I haven't got an EOS R (yet), bur Google knows the answer!)
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
                Shooting menu - Tab 1 - Image Review - select desired time or Off (I haven't got an EOS R (yet), bur Google knows the answer!)
                Yep, found that straight away. Was more pointing out that it does it in the electronic viewfinder as well as on the rear LCD, and when you select 'high' speed drive you would think it would turn the review off - at least in the viewfinder - as you can't track anything. It looks like their philosophy is to treat the LCD rear screen and the viewfinder as the same thing, and it just swaps from one to the other when it detects your face in front of the viewfinder. I have folded out the rear screen to select a menu option and it sees my right hand reach across 3 or 4 inches away from the viewfinder and blanks off the LCD. I normally leave the LCD folded inwards to protect it and because I try to work without the LCD as find them useless in bright sunlight (i.e. in 6 months time!!), would be quite happy to be able to switch it off and save battery. The time I find them worth having is when taking a photo at ground level, or with the camera held above your head - then they are great, but it all depends what you use the camera for I suppose.

High speed seems pretty slow to me, must do some timing tests and compare with my 70D. I wonder if saving as CRAW slows it compared to RAW, could be it is wasting CPU cycles doing compression? From some shots I took today max I got timestamped in same second was 4 frames, but was more concerned with playing with the autofocus tracking a flock of seagulls, so not a proper test.

Having failed to setup new M-Fn bar to offer exposure compensation when shooting, tried to set it up in review mode to zoom in or out on the images - and that has eluded me too.

Got some good shots today, but waiting for Sigma 100-400 EF lens, so struggling with ghastly old kit lens as the only EF lens in my collection - and with grey overcast weather I really miss having IS.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X