Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 Another from Lincoln Cathedral - EOS magazine forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another from Lincoln Cathedral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another from Lincoln Cathedral

IMG_0179 by Roy Widdowson, on Flickr

Any ideas on how I could improve this shot on a future visit please,or is it ok as it is?

Re: Another from Lincoln Cathedral

I guess the question would be what were you trying to show? What is the key element you want to draw out?
    I think it would either be a wider shot getting more in to show whole cathedral, or focusing more on a given element.
    But that could be the way my mind works.
    Andy

Comment

From a purely architectural point of view I would be inclined to stand square on. Having got the record shot you can then take time to home in on the fine detail such as that door and interesting parts of the windows.

One of the problems with cathedrals is that they are so big it's often hard to get an interesting wider view of them as so many have been encroached on by their surrounding cities that one is left with little room to get far enough back. In those circumstances one tends to be left mostly with detail shots or using extreme wide angle and going for unusual angle and viewpoints.
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks Andy and Nigel.That's the kind of thing I was after Nigel.

I think there would be enough space from the side street there to get a square on shot of this particular view without anything getting in the way.

Would f13(as used in the above shot)work for a square on shot too?

I'll add your advice to the notes I've started for a future visit.
        Last edited by Guest; 15-10-2018, 19:46.

Comment

Roy, since your question is "how could I have improved this shot?" rather than "what other shots could I have taken?" (for which I would suggest putting 'Lincoln Cathedral' into the Flickr search box and seeing what you like - most have indeed gone square on for this doorway, and I can see you haven't got much room to stand back so I'd go the other way i.e. right in looking up with your widest angle possible) for me it is three main things:
          1. Don't clip the top of the detail above the doorway
          2. The modern looking thing bottom left rather intrudes for me. If it is interesting - include it completely, if it isn't - try to exclude it.
          3. The lighting looks a bit flat - try a different time of day or weather.
          Hope that helps.
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks Alex,I didn't think to use the Flickr search,it's given me lots of ideas.

I think there is adequate room to stand back to get a square-on shot,there's a pavement,a cobbled road and another pavement bounded by a wall,but I'll have to see about that if and when I go again.

I agree about the lighting,though it had been raining heavily that morning,but cleared up by the time I took the shot at 2.25pm.

If only I could choose which day/time to go there again,but I can't.This trip was an organised coach one,it's my only way of getting there.

Comment

I agree with Alex's point 2, the square thing is a distraction I'd avoid.

If the angles aren't right for a full-on shot, why not go for features. The door looks nicely detailed and in portrait you could get it nicely framed. Look for other features if you can't get the whole thing in and I've found recently that lots of very nice churches and cathedrals are surrounded by buildings/roads/signs such that you can't get them all in, even with a 12mm, equivalent to a 18mm.
              EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Thanks Andy,some great ideas there.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nighthawk View Post

Would f13(as used in the above shot)work for a square on shot too?

I'll add your advice to the notes I've started for a future visit.
                  F13 would work square on if there is anything forward of the main facade that needs to be kept acceptably sharp. For the facade alone square on then f8 should easily be enough to keep everything nice and crisp. As a general guideline with AP-s format cameras it is best to avoid exceeding f11 where possible as diffraction effects can soften the image slightly. This is not to say never exceed f11 but if you do be prepared to do a little extra, careful, sharpening to compensate. As always the better the lens the less obvious the impact small apertures have.
                  Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks Nigel,that's very useful advice,and much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                    X