Old style DSLRs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old style DSLRs

In 1993 burglars stole my two film SLR cameras. They were simple, without bells and whistles, straightforward to use and you did not need a Ph.D. to shoot photos. Even without reading a manual it was no problem using them and had made some wonderful pics with them. I must say that I miss them and that if such a "no frills" full-frame DSLR, with a high resolution were available today I would like to own a "copy".

Anyone sharing this feeling?

Vasilis
    Greece
    EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Re: Old style DSLRs

Originally posted by Epicuros View Post

Anyone sharing this feeling?

Vasilis
    Greece
    Yes - but I suspect it's never going to happen. The appeal of a simple camera which only requires you to turn it on, put a card in and take pictures is appealing but you have to remember that with film a lot of stuff had to happen outside the camera before you got a picture. With a digital you can get a usable picture straight out of the camera so some of the parameters which were once controlled in the development and printing are now set in the camera.

What I'd be happy to lose are some of those things I don't want such as video, scene modes and over complex AF systems that seem not to work as well as the simple ones...
    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Film Camera's were not that simple. Simple in that you needed to drop a role of film into the body. Now depending on the number of frames in the canister, you ere basically stuck with whatever ASA you bought and dropped into the camera. That means the only other control you had was shutter speed and aperture settings to determine the correct exposure. Today's DSLRs are much easier to control exposure. Now I don't know how many carried a light meter with them in the film days, but I was one as if the old SLRs had metering in them, they were not as good as today's DLSRs. So you would use the Light meter to determine your correct exposure and they were not that simple to use. Lastly, you needed to take all the pictures on the roll, if you had your own darkroom, then you could develop the film yourself, otherwise you had to send the film out, wait a week before you got your results. Now if you were not a meticulous note taker, you would not remember the camera settings for a particular shot to see where you went wrong or right. Where on today's DLSRs you got instant feedback and all of the EXIF data on the image.

So comparing the two cameras, I think today's DLSRs are much easier to use than the film camera's of yesterday. At least that is my opinion. But that said, I think the Film Cameras taught you how to be a better photographer because film was not cheap.

Tom

Comment

I suspect what Vasilis may mean is how much is hidden away in menus rather than directly accessible as a control. This is one of the things I like about the Fuji models - my X-T2 has four physical controls, three “knobs” for shutter speed, ISO and exposure compensation and the aperture ring on the lens. Once you’ve fine-tuned your setup in the menus, the majority of time you can adjust the camera using one or more of those controls, including enabling each of the four PASM modes.

On my 7D2, I either have to go into the menus or use some finger-gymnastics to adjust ISO and exposure compensation and that’s on one of the better specified models when it comes to controls. Some of the lesser models have one control wheel and a switch that are used to drive both aperture an shutter in manual mode for example.

Having said that, both Canon and Nikon have introduced secondary controls on some of their new lenses, the mirrorless ones IIRC, which could be switched to drive the aperture. Not quite the same as a proper aperture ring but getting there.

Personally I really like the Fuji approach with physical controls for major settings. It harks back to a pervious time when it was all done that way...

Vasilis, apologies if that wasn’t what you meant...
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

I think that's the beauty of the Fuji X-T series a little more back to basics and the one thing i hate about the Sony's, far to many Menu's and setting.

Paul
          EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
          Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

a "no frills" full-frame DSLR, with a high resolution
            A camera like that wouldn't sell. Full frame models are always going to be more expensive and when people buy an expensive camera they expect to get all of the "bells and whistles". You can make any camera simple, switch most things off via the menus, use manual for aperture and shutter speed, set the ISO to whatever you want, use a single central a/f point and you're pretty much back to basics.
            EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

As it happens, Leica have released the M10-D today which hasn't even got a rear screen - not a DSLR, of course, it's a rangefinder. And if you want to review the images in advance, it has WiFi to connect to your phone to view them.

But it's not the sort of thing I'm remotely interested in, and I love old cameras - newer ones are just so much more usable, though.
              Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Originally posted by nickorando View Post
                As it happens, Leica have released the M10-D today which hasn't even got a rear screen - not a DSLR, of course, it's a rangefinder. And if you want to review the images in advance, it has WiFi to connect to your phone to view them.

But it's not the sort of thing I'm remotely interested in, and I love old cameras - newer ones are just so much more usable, though.
                A step too far. If I were to go down that route, I’d go back to film.
                EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyMulhearn View Post
                  A step too far. If I were to go down that route, I’d go back to film.
                  Couldn't agree more. I have loads of old film cameras (they were very cheap not all that long ago!), and thoroughly enjoy using them, but I've got my DSLRs set up to work how I want them to and they really feel like an extension of me. Sure, there's lots of stuff I don't ever use, but who cares? In reality, the extra bits probably actually keep costs down.
                  Please don't ask about my kit, it's embarrassing!

Comment

Right folks, I guess all of you have at least one point. It was just my feelings of nostalgia, while struggling to assimilate the various "frills" of my recently acquired 5D Mk IV. I even watched several tutorials on youtube and I am still not comfortable with most functions, save the DPP latest version! Admittedly, from a versatility standpoint modern cameras are superb; it's just the time and effort it takes to become familiar with them. For us older dogs, often with fading memory issues, such problems look more difficult to cope with. On the positive side, perhaps this is one more opportunity for sharpening our memory...

Vasilis
                    Greece
                    EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Comment

What Nigel said.
                      The Image Plane
                      Snapshots of Anything

Comment

Working...
                      X