Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge nº 148- Remember

Photo Challenge nº 148 - "Remember"

In the month of November we have one date – 11th that we particularly associate with Remembrance.

And in the UK of course we have Guy Fawkes’ Day with the phrase, “Remember, remember…..” and you know the rest

But on a different note there are other ways in which we can remember- for example a shopping list, empty bottles, an old photograph.

Think outside of the box and be as flexible as you like

Can you capture this in your image?

Judging will be based on the following:-

* fulfilling the brief
    * a good photo based on composition, focus and consideration to the light.
    * Having impact. Will I remember your image after I go away from the computer?

As ever I'll do my best to give friendly and constructive comments and find a winner based on my criteria stated above, bearing in mind my strictly amateur status

For those new or shy on this forum, I particularly encourage you to enter. Hopefully in doing so you will challenge yourself and have a bit of fun at the same time.

The usual rules apply:-
    • The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • All entries to be shot with a Canon EOS camera i.e. SLR / DSLR / M & R series
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest maximum (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices).

Closing date for entries is midnight Sunday 25th November

Ok folks away you go..........
    Last edited by lunarbo; 02-11-2018, 15:42.
    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Re: Challenge nº 148- Remember

Back at the beginning of the year rule 3 said, I believe, to use a Canon EOS camera or M series. Now that the new EOS R is out I think that it might be an idea to return to this or similar wording. What does anyone else think?

Ian
    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Ah yes, this arose earlier and it may be that due to carelessness that the wording is not correct

As this is the EOS forum (electro-optical system) my understanding is that all DSLR cameras, including the M & R series, fall into this category but compact cameras do not.

If Robert is around perhaps he could clarify this ........

I will happily modify my text if this is so to remove any ambiguity

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post

As this is the EOS forum (electro-optical system) my understanding is that all DSLR cameras, including the M & R series, fall into this category but compact cameras do not.
        The EOS forum does indeed cover all EOS cameras, whether that be SLR (film), DSLR or mirrorless. Given that the EOS M-series is still part of the EOS system – as is the EOS R and any future cameras in that line – I would suggest that the wording simply needs to say 'All entries to be shot using a Canon EOS camera' as this will cover the entire system, but exclude the PowerShot and IXUS cameras which make up Canon's compact range.

Comment

Thank you.

I have amended the rules accordingly.

Comment

There but not there - Lincoln Cathedral

Lincoln 8 by Stackman1, on Flickr

Chris
            Last edited by Stackman; 15-11-2018, 20:03.

Comment

One of the Many

Last edited by ST-EOS; 11-11-2018, 12:12.
              Peter

Feel free to browse my
              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Remembrance by local scout troops

IMG_4939_fhdr_fhdr 2 - Copy by Jim Rowland, on Flickr
                Last edited by Bikeman; 12-11-2018, 01:06. Reason: Wrong flickr link used & spelling !

Comment

We visited out daughter in Marlborough on Remembrance Day and went to an evening event where the town remembered their local fallen and a beacon was lit to mark the 100th anniversary of the end of the Great War.

Flame of Remembrance by John Liddle, on Flickr
                  John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

A personal tribute
                    860D61EE-9A75-4CD6-BB74-FF2FC0366EE8 by Ian, on Flickr

Ian
                    Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

"Now I need a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy lectures involving quantum mechanics".

It seems I'm breaking the mould here but I have a visual representation of a mnemonic that can be used to remember the digits of the mathematical constant Pi (3.14159265358979) with the number of letters in each word representing each digit.

And yes, they are my own books on quantum physics!

Now I need a drink... by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
                      Last edited by ctrollen; 21-11-2018, 17:08.
                      Chris
                      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Local War Memorial

Memorials 2
                        by AlexR!, on Flickr
                        Canon EOS 7D
                        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Any more for anymore?

Closing this challenge tomorrow night......

Comment

Thanks to all who entered. I was hoping for more entries but at least those who had a go rose to the Challenge admirably

There but not There- Chris This for me was a strong image that could have been stronger. I think it would have benefitted from stepping back so the empty soldier had more headroom, and so that you had a symmetrical image with 3 men on each side

One of the Many- Peter There is a simple eloquence in these 3 objects on the black background. I note that the deceased is a long lost relative and tried to see if there was a further message in the pages of the bible but you have chosen to keep it OOF

Bicester Tribute - Jim Full marks to the Scouts! However you have given yourself quite a difficult subject to photograph due to the messy background. I think the tight crop that you showed on your flickr portfolio works better, cropping right up to but including the tree as it then brings in the Union Jack into the image and gets rid of the modern building

Flame of Remembrance- John It’s a hearty fire and you have controlled the light well. I might have liked to have seen a “ stem” for the beacon to ground the image but perhaps it was ugly and you blacked it out.

A Personal Tribute- Ian As a personal remembrance of someone special to you this surely works. Judging this strictly as a photographic challenge, I’d have liked the 3 items to have been linked, they seem remote and the top poppy dwarfs the other 2 items

Now I need a drink.. Chris Some seriously impressive bedside reading and I like the warm glow you’ve given the image, maybe the 16 year old malt whisky helped. Tough work doing these challenges, isn’t it? Beautifully composed, ticks all the boxes

Local War Memorial- Alex Again an ugly background spoils this heartfelt tribute. I think I’d have been tempted to crop down more from the top. I’m torn on the white vignette. Is it to make the image ethereal & ghostly, or to remove that background? Either way it’s a bit too severe for me

Most of you chose the Great War theme and studying these images brought home to me, yet again, the horror in the waste of young lives and sadness for what might have been.

My choice of winners is based totally on the images from the photographic point of view and not the content

1st Now I need a Drink- Chris
                            2nd One of the Many – Peter
                            3rd Local War Memorial- Alex

Congratulations to Chris, see y'all on the next challenge.

Bo

Comment

Bo
                              Thanks for running this challenge and providing the feedback to all of the entrants. Congratulations to Chris and Alex I feel very proud to sit between you both

PS. Bo it wasn't a bible it is a dicionary open to show "remember", sadly the image downsizing to meet the challenge picture size has made the text to small to read.
                              Peter

Feel free to browse my
                              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Working...
                              X