Challenge nº 148- Remember

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Challenge nº 148- Remember

Bo, great theme and really great interesting and perceptive comments as always. Thank you, I am astonished to have crept onto the podium with my effort, because it didn't come out at all as planned and I'd had exactly the concerns about it that you brought out. I did look at cutting out the background, both by 'growing' the hedge and cropping down, but in the end left it in because I wanted to give a 'memorial as part of the community' feel (or maybe that was a convenient excuse and I was being lazy!). So about the vignette... I had started out processing this as I did a previous one, to make it look like a sketch, but this time I wanted it to look 'unfinished' around the edges, with the colour fading to some mono sketch lines then to paper. But I just couldn't get it to look right and I preferred the 'real' poppies to the 'drawn' so I let them come through and I think I rather lost the concept and ended up trying to make the best of a bad job just to get an entry in. Hey ho.
    But congratulations to Chris and Peter for their genuinely excellent and well deserving images. I've never heard that mnemonic, it is excellent (should you ever need to know pi when chatting down the pub).
    Looking forward to see what Chris challenges us with.
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

That's a nice surprise; perhaps I'll pour myself a drop of that Scotch now (for the photo itself that was actually tea in the glass )

Well done to all who entered. There were some lovely poignant entries.

Extra "well dones" to my fellow podiums, Peter and Alex, and many thanks to Bo for setting a challenging brief and responding with helpful comments & critique.

I will have a think about what the subject of the next challenge will be and post it up tomorrow, hopefully.
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Congratulations to Chris and well done to Peter and Alex. And thanks to Bo for the challenge and judging.

Bo, not sure that I understand your comment about the items in my picture not being linked and seeming remote. Could you expand please? The top poppy is one of the original ones from the 2014 Tower of London display and the two small ones are for 2014 & 2018 for the start and end of the commemoration period. The photos show the soldier and his grave so you have the vertical link of the poppies and the horizontal link.

Thanks

Ian
        Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Sorry never got round to entering Bo, first one I have missed since I joined. Well done Chris, Peter & Alex. Look forward to the next challenge.

Comment

For Farider-

Hi Ian

I do agree that the 5 objects are linked by their history and association to each other.

As this image shows with exif data on flickr I take it that it is a direct image taken from above, rather than a collage made in post processing, although the effect is similar.

The 5 objects are remote from each other, no touching or overlap on that stark black background. Although the composition is helped by the triangle made, I think it would have been improved if something physically connected the majority of the objects. The stem of the TOL poppy perhaps? This would also have helped to give some depth to the image as well as giving a route for the eye to follow

Bo
            Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Many thanks Barbara for setting and judging. Congratulations to Chris and the other medal-winners - we look forward to the next chapter in the saga!
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thanks for the additional explanation Bo, that’s appreciated.

This was indeed a direct image from above. I had looked at a more tangential view but the stem of the poppy was too long and made the composition difficult.

I’ll bear your comments in mind.

Ian
                Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Congratulations to everyone who managed to submit to this challenge, especially to the placed entries and a thankyou to Bo for setting and judging.
                  Nigel
                  EOS 80D, EF-S 55-250 4-5.6 IS, EF-S 18-55, EF-S 10-18, EF 50 1.8

Comment

Working...
                  X