Lens cap on filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lens cap on filter

Some years ago I purchased the EF 24-105mm lens which has a 77mm rim. As my order included also a "B+H" UV filter from the same source, the supplier also sent me an axtra lens cap that fit the filter (but does not latch), obviously because the Canon lens cap could not fit on the filter at all. This extra cap fell off frequently and lately I even lost it!
    I wonder whether there is a cap (not necessarily Canon) that can latch on the B+H filter?
    Any suggestions?

Vasilis
    Greece
    EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Re: Lens cap on filter

My Canon lens cap for my 24-105 (old model) fits and latches perfectly with my UV filter - and unless I'm mistaken my UV filter is a B+H too!

This is the second UV filter I've had - the first one suicidally protected the lens itself after the camera fell on to concrete.
    Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

The only reasons I can think of for the Canon lens cap not fitting is if the filter either has no thread on the outward side (which would be most odd) or the filter diameter is smaller on the outer side - which would be even odder.

One issue I have experienced with some filters is that the thread on the front face of the filter is often quite shallow compared to that on the lens, particularly with filters that specifically have thin frames. The one on on my 10-20 Sigma is a case on point - if I'm not careful to make sure it's properly seated before releasing the lock buttons it does have a tendency to fall off...
      Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by Jock View Post
        My Canon lens cap for my 24-105 (old model) fits and latches perfectly with my UV filter - and unless I'm mistaken my UV filter is a B+H too!

This is the second UV filter I've had - the first one suicidally protected the lens itself after the camera fell on to concrete.
        Thanks for your response Jock. The UV filter is too shallow outwards, without thread. Correction: The filter is B+W; and It is possible that B+W make different versions of UV filters and my supplier carried -and sold me- the "wrong" one!
        Last edited by Epicuros; 13-11-2018, 14:28.
        EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Comment

Thanks Nigel. The filter has no thread on the outward part and I just noticed that it is very shallow. I guess I should buy another UV filter if I want to use the lens cap too.

Comment

I guess leaving the thread off is one way of keeping it ultra thin. Presumably they are working on the principle that users of ultra wide lens are less likely to use additional filters because of vignetting by the filter frames...
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
            X