DPP 4.8.30 manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DPP 4.8.30 manual

As I am feeling my way around in the latest DPP, I tried to use the bundled manual but I seem to have a terrible time understanding instructions. It often tells you what to do but not HOW to do it which leaves a terrible gap in my understanding. One example:In the partial Image adjustments section (page 79) it tells you to select adjustment group and refers you to page 82 for finding out what this means. Then it reads: "A different adjustment area can be selected for each adjustment group", but no word about HOW you can do this... And this is only a mnor example!

I have started searching desperately for whatever tuition material I can obtain but youtube tutorials refer mostly to older versions of DPP. Ideally I would like to find a video, even if I have to pay for it, that would explain all new concepts involved, without presuming e.g. that I spent a year or so in the Canon sofware facilities and also speak Japanese...

Does anyone know of such available material?

Thanks,
    Vasilis
    EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Re: DPP 4.8.30 manual

There's lots of video online for DPP4 if it helps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tETsnDiLwgo
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I hate video guides personally, "talking heads" videos are usually badly presented and organised. I recommend Nina Bailey's Ebook (downloadable pdf) called "Beginner's Guide to DPP (v4) and RAW workflow". You can get it from the EOS magazine shop for £9.95. Begin at the beginning and work through it.
      EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I agree. Nina's e-book is well worth it.
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

The partial image adjustments section is not well thought out compared to other software that features an equivalent option - particularly when it comes to actually applying the adjustment as the button that activates the selection brush is ANYTHING but obvious, in fact right now I can't actually remember what it's called but I think it's the large button that stretches across the panel above the adjustment controls.

Once you have located it it's quite simple to use with adjustments for size and feathering and a choice of up to 6 different settings. Simply select the setting required, adjust the brush size/softness to suit and paint onto the image where required -you can paint the same adjustment setting on as many parts of the image as required.
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks to everyone responding. I find that this particular feature that I had counted on, "Partial Image Adjustment", that, if correctly thought out would, somehow, be a near substitute for HDR, is, practically, useless (unless I am missinng important details). An extremely slow response to whatever editing I have tried to apply by means of the brush, and a very inaccurate resulting effect, makes me very skeptical about this feature's practical value. I am really disappointed and have thoughts about switching to "LR"!
            EOS 5D MK IV, EF 50/f1.4, EF 100/f2.8 Macro, EF20/f2.8, EF24-105/f4L IS, EF 100-400/f4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E24/f3.5L, EF 75-300/f4-5.6, Canon Extender EF 2X II, Sigma 12-24mm/f4.4-5.6.

Comment

Originally posted by Epicuros View Post
              Thanks to everyone responding. I find that this particular feature that I had counted on, "Partial Image Adjustment", that, if correctly thought out would, somehow, be a near substitute for HDR, is, practically, useless (unless I am missinng important details). An extremely slow response to whatever editing I have tried to apply by means of the brush, and a very inaccurate resulting effect, makes me very skeptical about this feature's practical value. I am really disappointed and have thoughts about switching to "LR"!
              No, it's not for doing HDR, that's a completely different situation where a range of separate images made at different exposure are blended, usually with clever software, to produce an image with a higher tonal range than can be achieved with a single frame. DPP 4 has a separate tool for this. The adjustment brushes are really intended for minor adjustments to separate parts of the image. They may not be quite as precise as can be managed in Photoshop proper with layers and masks but I'm not sure how much more precise the options in LR really are.

I used the adjustment brushes quite liberally on this shot and I can't see issues with it.

I will agree that response times could be better but that's true of the whole program not just the adjustment brushes...
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thank you Nigel. I am well aware of HDR features and possibilities which cannot be replaced by partial adjustment I just thought that this could correct some high contract situations.

Vasilis

Comment

Photography trainer, John McQuiston, takes you through the new DPP 4's tool palette and histogram to show you how you can edit and create impactful images. C...

Use the Quick Check view to examine photos for sharpness and also assign ratings and check marks to files so you can search for favourite files using filters...
                  Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                  X