Visibility of plus/minus bracketed exposures in Lightroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visibility of plus/minus bracketed exposures in Lightroom

I recently noticed (I don’t use bracketing very often) a set of my bracketed images didn’t display the exposure compensation settings when viewed in Lightroom Classic. At the time I wasn’t too bothered about this, but I made a note to test the issue when I had time.
    I did a limited test today:-

Camera set to AV
    Captured a bracketed series of images.

Camera set to manual
    Captured a bracketed series of images.

All of the aforementioned images were imported to the PC using Lightroom’s import facility. Only the series of images captured with the camera in AV mode show the exposure compensation. The series from the manual setting don’t display the exposure compensation settings used.
    Whilst I can determine the normal exposure and the positive/negative ones when viewing the bracketed series, I’m intrigued as to why with the manual captured images the bracket exposure settings don’t seem to be recorded.
    Especially as the camera does capture the detail and it is transferred during the import process of the AV captured bracket sequence.
    Has anyone any explanations regarding this?

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Re: Visibility of plus/minus bracketed exposures in Lightroom

When shooting in manual mode, there is no +or - exposure compensation as such as the exposure is controlled by either the shutter speed and aperture. When shooting either Tv or Av then only one of shutter or aperture is ‘ fixed ‘ and therefor compensation is set my moving the dial - I think
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

I was thinking exactly the same Stan but then thought, what if iso is on auto ?

John

Comment

Thanks for Stan and John for your responses.

This morning I decided to look at the images in DPP4, just to see if the issue was Lightroom based. However it seems not. In all cases the ISO was fixed at 800.

When I view the images in DPP4 those taken in AV mode show the bracketing values i.e. "0" through to "+1.5"
        The manual exposure series are bracketed following the same values (but with slightly different shutter speeds to the AV versions) but neither DPP4 or Lightroom show the exposure bracket value against the manual set.
        As you will see from the attached screen shots the raw files do display the changed exposures going left to right from normal to plus 1.5 stops!

So it seems to me that whilst the camera does make a set of bracketed images (change in exposure is visible in the screen-shots below) in manual mode but the value of each of the bracketed images isn't recorded in the file Exif!
        I wonder why maybe the camera does record the values but it is recorded somewhere else in the Exif. One for Robert and his experts me thinks.

#1 Lightroom screen capture

BracketingTest.jpg

#2 DPP4 Screen capture

DPP4-BracketTest.jpg
        Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

In manual mode, the only time EC makes any sense is when you’re using Auto ISO - with shutter speed and aperture fixed, the only variable the camera has to vary is the ISO rating. If you set a fixed ISO then I guess the camera has to override one of your manual settings in order to vary the exposure as you’ve requested. Sounds like it went for adjusting the shutter speed and not the aperture though that may be a decision it made based on criteria such as focal length.

My Fuji gear, with it’s physical controls, will often chose a different shutter speed to the one I set when I use EC in Manual/Auto ISO mode.

That’s All I can come up with I’m afraid.
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

In manual mode it's you who are doing the bracketing not the camera, you are the one who adjusts the aperture, or more usually the shutter value, to make the bracketed exposure so no, there won't be any recorded +/- bracketing values since the camera was not being asked to adjust one setting automatically between frames. I am assuming of course , in manual mode, that it was you that adjusted the exposure settings between between frames to create the bracketed sequence as I'm not aware of any method that allows the camera to somehow change the EV when set in mode M...
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
              In manual mode it's you who are doing the bracketing not the camera, you are the one who adjusts the aperture, or more usually the shutter value, to make the bracketed exposure so no, there won't be any recorded +/- bracketing values since the camera was not being asked to adjust one setting automatically between frames. I am assuming of course , in manual mode, that it was you that adjusted the exposure settings between between frames to create the bracketed sequence as I'm not aware of any method that allows the camera to somehow change the EV when set in mode M...
              Nigel,

I was in my testing using the camera in both AV and Manual mode.

In the sequence of manual modes images I chose the ISO, F stop, then set the exposure to the centre of the scale (i.e. to set the initial [correct] shutter speed).
              Then I used the "Q" (quick set control button) to set the bracket sequence. The camera Auto Focus mode was set to a two second timer and the result is a sequence of seven images as shown in the images in my post #4 above.
              So the camera is able to shoot a set of bracketed images in "Manual" mode. But the +/- value of each (Shutter Speed) of the bracketed images isn't carried in the image Exif, or if it is I can't see it.
              Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                Nigel,

In the sequence of manual modes images I chose the ISO, F stop, then set the exposure to the centre of the scale (i.e. to set the initial [correct] shutter speed).
                Then I used the "Q" (quick set control button) to set the bracket sequence. The camera Auto Focus mode was set to a two second timer and the result is a sequence of seven images as shown in the images in my post #4 above.
                So the camera is able to shoot a set of bracketed images in "Manual" mode. But the +/- value of each (Shutter Speed) of the bracketed images isn't carried in the image Exif, or if it is I can't see it.
                These 5D's are clever cameras! As far as I know none of my old EOS can do that. It would appear that the camera firmware can change something that affects the exposure, presumably the shutter or possibly the ISO, regardless of the preset value but can only record the values set rather than those used or the compensation factor.

Have you looked further into the EXIF data? Often further down in the list of you can find a record of the exact shutter time used - usually in milliseconds -rather than the setting value. I think the true aperture value is often recorded as well.
                Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                X