Snake in the grass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake in the grass

Well in the thrift rather than grass. First photo submitted for almost a year as have been struggling with enthusiasm.
    Was photographing Godrevy lighthouse in Cornwall and was told about a seal watching point just up the slope. While taking a few shots of the seals, someone said had I noticed the snake and started pointing it out. I was looking about 5m in front of where she was pointing until she said "no, it's just there" less than 1m away from me. Fortunately it was on a bank, so I was able to get down on the grass, take a couple of shots and even get back up without any help !!!

John

[IMG]5D-0217.jpg by John Swanborough, on Flickr[/IMG]

Re: Snake in the grass

Thats a good one and well spotted...eventually

I have only ever seen a wild adder once and that was this year at blashford. I couldnt quite get him with my long lens as there were grasses in the way and he stayed around long enough for me to change to the macro, get really close for a frame filling shot or two

stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Nice one John, well caught. I'm lucky enough to see quite a few around where I live, but like yours always half hidden. This year however I was lucky enough to get one completely out in the open who was very obliging.
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

Gosh, really like that, beautifully caught threading right between those flowers. I'd have assumed it was staged/captive so really well done.
        Canon EOS 7D
        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Let's see... venomous snake less than 1m away... get down to its level and point a camera at it... hmm
          Great shot though

Cheers,
          John

Comment

Thanks for comments guys
            Can't say I've seen many Stan, maybe 5 or 6 but they've always moved away provided they've warmed up. I think this one thought he was a black mamba because he kept coming towards me and I was having to back off a couple of feet at a time, as he was too close for focussing with the 100-400. Eventually he came into the open but immediately turned back on himself and went back into the thrift. I prefer the first shot, even if it is just the head in focus.

John
            [IMG]5D-0221.jpg by John Swanborough, on Flickr[/IMG]

Comment

Those "hims" look like "hers" to me, wonderful shots mind. Male Adders tend to be more black and white and the females browner(and larger).
              Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

The head and eye is properly the most important but still good to get one in the open, despite moving away.

At BWC there are often both sexes visible together and the difference is quite marked with the female being a definite brown and the male black. Your shots certainly look black rather than brown so if I had to choose I would go with male
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                  At BWC there are often both sexes visible together and the difference is quite marked with the female being a definite brown and the male black. Your shots certainly look black rather than brown so if I had to choose I would go with male
                  I was basing my ‘guess’ on the BWC adders Stan. Having just looked at a few videos, the ones described as male are generally more black and white than this one but the females were more brown than mine. Having weighed up the evidence, I’m sitting on the fence

John

Comment

Great shot John
                    Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Great shot John, yes it's a male
                      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

The first image for me John - excellent!
                        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Snake in the grass

Well spotted and captured John. Strangely when viewing the forum via Tapatalk I couldn't see the images! I just see this:-

Last edited by ST-EOS; 22-11-2018, 12:53.
                          Peter

Feel free to browse my
                          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thanks Jeff, Trev and John

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                            Well spotted and captured John. Strangely when viewing the forum via Tapatalk I couldn't see the images! I just see this:-
                            I know a year or so ago Peter, you said that you couldn't see my images if you looked at the forum via Tapatalk.
                            Don't know what to say really. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, although nobody else has said the same thing. Or is there a possible Tapatalk problem but I'm assuming you don't have difficulty with other postings ?

John

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny48 View Post
                              Thanks Jeff, Trev and John

I know a year or so ago Peter, you said that you couldn't see my images if you looked at the forum via Tapatalk.
                              Don't know what to say really. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, although nobody else has said the same thing. Or is there a possible Tapatalk problem but I'm assuming you don't have difficulty with other postings ?

John
                              Hi John I from memory only have this issue with your images and one other person on this forum. Barbara (Bo) is the other one.
                              Quite why it is I have no idea, it’s a bit of an annoyance as I have to remember to look back at previously read threads when I’m next on a computer!

Sent from somewhere in Gods County using Tapatalk
                              Peter

Feel free to browse my
                              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Working...
                              X