Challenge 149: Back to Basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Challenge 149: Back to Basics

I work in IT as a software developer and sometimes it seems that things that could and should be simple are made far more complicated than they ought to be, usually in the name of "progress". And to keep the marketing department happy.

So let's get back to basics. Please submit a photo of something that suggests a simpler, easier way of life, whether it be an activity, an object or something more abstract. You can be reasonably free with the brief and be as creative as you like.

I will try to judge all entries on technical merit, composition, lighting, etc. but I am certainly no expert and a memorable image or one that makes me smile should do well!

I will do my best to comment & provide constructive criticism on all entries.

Please abide by the general rules:

• The competition subject shall be selected by the winner of the preceding competition who will also judge the competition.
    • One picture per person; images should conform to general image posting rules.
    • Please use an EOS Canon camera - DSLR, M or R series.
    • Posted images should be taken during the running period of the competition. Any images submitted that were taken before the competition started, or after the competition has ended, will be deemed invalid.
    • Images 800 pixels widest max (to help those with small monitors).
    • No Photoshop frames and borders.
    • Include a title; the image must convey the theme without title description.
    • Please, NO comments on images- on this or another thread- until the round is over.
    • No canvassing e.g. “I’m thinking of posting this image for the challenge, what do you think?”
    • I will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd favourite images (please don’t PM me to discuss my choices)

The closing date for entries is Midnight GMT on Sunday 23rd December, which should be enough time to get the creative juices flowing and submit an entry.

On your marks, get set, shoot!
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: Challenge 149: Back to Basics

*bump*
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Suitcases from a bygone era.

The top suitcase was the only one that both my great grandparents took when they went away around 100 years ago, the bottom one was used by my father in the 1930's.

two cases BW background by Ian, on Flickr
      Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

*another bump*

If anyone else wants to enter, the challenge closes midnight tomorrow. Surely we can get more than one entry?!
        Chris

Comment

Chris - you got the worst time to set a challenge - it's Christmas and there is the End Of Year Showcase to contend with.

If I were you, I would add a month to the closing date.
          John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
            If I were you, I would add a month to the closing date.
            Good idea, John.

The cut off for entries is now midnight on Sunday 27th January 2019.
            Chris

Comment

I Am The only dishwasher.

EOS Challenge by David Miller, on Flickr

Comment

Ah, OK. Thanks for the extra time, but for now...

Horse and trap on Embankment
                by AlexR!, on Flickr
                Canon EOS 7D
                EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Basic Puppy Training - "Look".

Basic Puppy Training by Andy Jeffree, on Flickr

Please do not take this to be an XFactor style sob story to get that extra vote :D :D

Unfortunately in October we lost our Cavalier King Charles, Lola. She'd been with us 11 wonderful years and had been through a lot in the last year/18 months hence not many photos from me for a while as well as not been out and about. With the house feeling really empty without a dog about, we have now welcomed Woody, a Cavachon (Cavalier King Charles/Bichon Frise) to the family. Only 9 weeks old, so its back to the basic puppy training for us.

Cheers.
                  Andy
                  Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
                  EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
                  [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Eat your heart out Aunt Bessy

Peter

Feel free to browse my
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

The "week to go" *bump*
                      Chris

Comment

fake display by Jonathan Goodger, on Flickr
                        EOS 60d, EF50mm 1.8, EF-S18-55mm 3.5-5.6, EF 28-90mm 4-5.6, EF-S 55-250mm 4-5.6 IS, Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 EX DC HSM
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/jongoodger/

Comment

Challenge now closed. I will post the results a little later.
                          Chris

Comment

Thanks to everyone who entered the latest challenge. A few more entries would have been nice (especially as this has run for nine weeks!) but I expect there have been other distractions for a lot of people.

Here are my thoughts on the entries. They are just my opinion and in no way represent an experts opinion!!!

Two cases - farider
                            A nice simple shot harking back to a bygone era of travel without endless security and carbon-fibre wheely cases! I like the composition & lighting and it is sharp from front to back.

Dishwasher - Daisy M
                            Lovely pink gloves, Dave! It's well done given I assume a tripod, timer release and a quick dash round the front was your method - not easy! Full-size on Flickr it looks like the focus point is more on the margerine tub and unfortunately the main subject, i.e. you, the gloves & the cloth are a little soft. It did make me though.

Horse & trap - AlexR!
                            A nice idea for the brief but unfortunately it's quite dark and a little blurred/soft. Cropping to include just the first grey horse might have led to a better composition due to the out-of-focus person's back on the left. The motorbike's headlight also distracts from the main subject.

Basic puppy training - Bhuna
                            Woody is very, very cute and this is a nice sharp, portrait of him. My only very minor gripes are the hair across his left eye and the fact that his colour and the background are very similar so his right ear has got a bit lost!

Eat your heart out Aunt Bessy - ST-EOS
                            I like the simple composition, the lighting and the reflections (although the reflection of the eggs is extremely close to the bottom of the frame). With the background being completely obscured/black there are no distractions.

Fake display - ricewind
                            I think this shot is a nice idea but let down a little by the lighting. I assume that the placement was deliberate but can't help thinking an adjustment of the shadows and highlights might improve things a little.

And so here are my top three, in the classic reverse order:-

3rd: Basic puppy training - Bhuna
                            2nd: Two cases - farider
                            1st: Eat your heart out Aunt Bessy - ST-EOS

All round to Peter's for pancakes, I reckon
                            Chris

Comment

Well done Peter and my fellow podium place!

Thanks Chris for the judging, comments, and the competition.

Look forward to your new challenge Peter

Ian
                              Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Working...
                              X